• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rtse4me

Apr 12, 2013
    Howard County
    I tried shooting left handed (no way), tried an occluder, found myself trying to look around it, then recently attached a Tom Knapp Champion easy hit sight and that has helped a bit. I start both eyes open then close my left as I prepare to shoot. It sucks but I got pretty decent shooting that way. Now I am forcing myself (no matter the score) to stare at the target with both eyes open and now it's getting proper fitting and mount time. I want to ditch the bad habits before they get too ingrained. Jack said he will help with that so we shall see.

At the end of the day I should be looking at the target and not any sight or barrel. I know this, now it's practicing it and re-teaching myself I need to suffer through :lol2:
    Do you shoot with the gun pre-mounted? When I first started shooting I found it easier keeping both eyes open shooting when shooting low gun. Also, I heard shooting a pistol or rifle with a red dot helps keeps both eyes open when shooting a shotgun.

Switching to left handed shooting can be difficult but I know a couple of guys who did this with great results. One of them was a master class shooter.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    Do you shoot with the gun pre-mounted? When I first started shooting I found it easier keeping both eyes open shooting when shooting low gun. Also, I heard shooting a pistol or rifle with a red dot helps keeps both eyes open when shooting a shotgun.

Switching to left handed shooting can be difficult but I know a couple of guys who did this with great results. One of them was a master class shooter.

I shoot a lot of SC pre mounted but I'm trying wobble low gun to get used to both eyes open. It's just weird.

MamaTried

Only me to blame 'cause..
    Dec 10, 2015
    Bmore City
    I'm bored with punching paper and plinkin' cans. Time to learn to hit something which is moving. I'm going to take my first trip to LRSTC this afternoon and try something simple. Anyone who wants to show a new-to-shotguns guy the ropes would be most appreciated.

I found this website when looking for reviews of LRSTC and trying to find a club near me.

thanks!

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    I'm bored with punching paper and plinkin' cans. Time to learn to hit something which is moving. I'm going to take my first trip to LRSTC this afternoon and try something simple. Anyone who wants to show a new-to-shotguns guy the ropes would be most appreciated.

I found this website when looking for reviews of LRSTC and trying to find a club near me.

thanks!

Tell Vince you are a newbie and he'll send one of the boys out to help you. Or, if you are shooting skeet, find a squad with less than 5, join in and announce you are new and need some help. Most shooters are eager to help newbies in non-competitive settings. Everyone at LRSTC is pleasant and eager to help.
    If for some reason not....let me know. I am on the Board.

Remember, you don't aim a shotgun...you point.

ps: Try some 5-stand. It humbles even good shooters.

MamaTried

Dec 10, 2015
    Bmore City
    Tell Vince you are a newbie and he'll send one of the boys out to help you. Or, if you are shooting skeet, find a squad with less than 5, join in and announce you are new and need some help. Most shooters are eager to help newbies in non-competitive settings. Everyone at LRSTC is pleasant and eager to help.
    If for some reason not....let me know. I am on the Board.

Remember, you don't aim a shotgun...you point.

ps: Try some 5-stand. It humbles even good shooters.

Awesome, thanks for the tips. I'll print this out.

It was actually your posts that let me confirm LRSTC was awesome, and to find a local club. I'll send you a PM about that later since I'm right near Homewood (Old Goucher).

And I'm surely going to be humbled by even lowly trap...haha!

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011

thanks!

And so the addiction begins!

There's really no comparison in clays to stationary targets.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    Had my second lesson with Jack Wednesday and had a blast. LRST is a great place and their 5 stand course was fun as hell.

MamaTried

Dec 10, 2015
    Bmore City
    And so the addiction begins!

There's really no comparison in clays to stationary targets.

Couldn't be more right. 100x the fun of paper. I shot 50 shells on a skeet stations 7 and 6 with Bob coaching me. Both Vince and Bob were most helpful and complimentary of my shooting. I hit my first shot ( a pleasant surprise) and overall more than I missed. Great fun!

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    Couldn't be more right. 100x the fun of paper. I shot 50 shells on a skeet stations 7 and 6 with Bob coaching me. Both Vince and Bob were most helpful and complimentary of my shooting. I hit my first shot ( a pleasant surprise) and overall more than I missed. Great fun!

Let me know if you ever want some company shooting . Now that I'm firmly entrenched in my new clay addiction I'll be up at LR more often.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Tapatalk. I was at dinner up in DE, my smiley selection is limited.

Oh, I see it now....

May or may not have been the tall Miller Lights......

tennisdr

Apr 22, 2012
    I shoot skeet there several times a week and love helping new shooters! Send me a note and we can meet up there sometime.

MamaTried

Dec 10, 2015
    Bmore City
    Oh man did I have some fun at Loch Raven this afternoon.

My eternal gratitude to tennisdr for meeting up with me and giving me an intensive and informative crash course in the game of skeet - shot 2 rounds of practice target and then the "real deal" under pressure. I learned a tremendous amount and can't way to get back (and hopefully shoot with some other MDS people when we find the time).

The place was hopping today too!

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    Oh man did I have some fun at Loch Raven this afternoon.

My eternal gratitude to tennisdr for meeting up with me and giving me an intensive and informative crash course in the game of skeet - shot 2 rounds of practice target and then the "real deal" under pressure. I learned a tremendous amount and can't way to get back (and hopefully shoot with some other MDS people when we find the time).

The place was hopping today too!

This is great to hear! Maybe we can get a group together up there sometime. I have only tried skeet twice so I'm not the most educated when it comes to the rules/common practices, but I'd love to give it another go and hit the five stand again :thumbsup:

Hope to meet you some time :thumbsup:

rsj1231

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2013
    Harford County
    What kind of requirements are there to shoot here? Do I need a SxS or can I use an autoloader or pump? Also is there a minimum barrel length?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom