• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Baumer

Jan 21, 2010
    I've never done a thorough analysis of group size where the seating/crimping was done in the same die vs seperate dies but my general observation is that my groups tighten up when they are performed seperately. With a powder cop installed on my LNL I did not have enough stations to perform the functions seperately so I decided to consider purchasing the Hornady PTXs, however early reviews of the product were average to poor. While reading the reviews I came across a number of references to http://www.powderfunnels.com as an alternative to the Hornady product. A few weeks back I ordered one. It finally arrived this past weekend and I installed it in my LNL.

The product is solid and is similar to the spacers used in the LNL powder die with the exception of the conical end that flares the case. To install the product you just need to remove the powder measure (loosen the thumbscrew to disconnect the linkage and then remove the spring). Remove the powder die and drop the spacer out, then install the powderfunnel in the die and install the die back in the press in station 2 replacing the case expander die. Loosen the lock nut on the powder die and adjust per the instructions on website. The adjustment process is very similar to the original powder measure install except that you turn the die in an extra half turn or so to get the bell on the case. The whole process including emptying the powder measure took less than 10 minutes.

After completing the installation I ran a couple hundred rounds of 9mm through to test functionality. I used ~50 plated bullets and ~150 lead. Initially I was checking the powder charge on each case to very accuracy, and found no problems. The charge weight was exactly the same as prior to installation and consistent round to round. After about 15 rounds I just checked the powder cop. The belling of the case was just noticeable (I dont like to overwork the brass) and there was no shaving of lead or plating. I didn't feel the bullet sat quite as firmly as those that went through the expander die but it didn't cause any problem. No issues at all with the press and every round went through the case gauge just fine

Overall a nice $25 upgrade for the LNL. My only caution would be to let you know that it did take 3 weeks for delivery, and my email inquiry after a week and a half went unanswered. My understanding is that this business is a one man operation so you may need some patience.

Oreo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 23, 2008
    I have one as well. In fact, I speak with Dan (the owner / manufacturer) frequently on a couple other reloading forums. He's a real good guy but he's very busy trying to get his business off the ground.

Dan's PTX is a major improvement over Hornady's versions and Dan's product is a one-size fits most calibers, where as the Hornady product is caliber specific.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    I ordered mine last week and payment already went through. How long will it take for the PTX to be shipped? Any ideas?

Baumer

Jan 21, 2010
    Mine took about 3 weeks from order - receipt, but it took the payment about 2 weeks to go through, so you may be seeing yours fairly soon.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Thanks. The payment posted the day after I placed my order. Hopefully it'll arrive soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom