• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • commiezapr

May 13, 2013
    Bethesda
    Some dealers are accepting the following. Again it is owners discretion on a case by case basis.

Carry Permit
    Military ID
    LEO ID
    Paperwork for previous "ND" from own store or other
    Previous Customer
    Previous Long Gun Purchase with NICS
    Top Secret Security Clearance
    Basically anything that proves you can legally own a gun.

Some dealers are even running a Maryland Judiciary Check. Put your name in the system to see if you've been picked up for anything since your last background check.

Does having public trust clearance count? :lol2:
    I also have two previous long gun purchases, maybe that'll help. (NICS)

Anyways thanks for your answers, I will email them directly for more answers.

L0gic

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2013
    Delegate Mike Update

He posted another update to his blog regarding the actions taken against FFLs by the FBI/ATF who were trying to go above the legal requirement to ensure a prohibited person does not receive a firearm on the 8th day.

Its like they want a SHTF scenario to happen. Oh wait....
    http://delegatemike.com/?p=3696

Winks in Princess Anne is doing very limited 8 day releases based on recent "in store" ND-- at their discretion.

They don't care if you're a DC or you have bought 50 guns in the past 20 years from someone else. The only candidate they will consider for "early" release is a customer with a recent ND on a gun purchased from them.

ianmcall

Sep 21, 2011
    Damascus, MD
    Other than NICS which is now only available for Long guns. FFLs only have access to the same databases civilians do. So going off the 17 database list which ones are you able to access?

List

If this is something you want to help with feel free to send me a PM with the database and how to access it. I dont think any are available to us though.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Other than NICS which is now only available for Long guns. FFLs only have access to the same databases civilians do. So going off the 17 database list which ones are you able to access?

List

If this is something you want to help with feel free to send me a PM with the database and how to access it. I dont think any are available to us though.
    Per Lou's post yesterday, it is back to being available to FFL for "Other" as well (not an FFL here, just reiterating what he posted earlier).

L0gic

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2013

List

People should be able to access their own records and have them authenticated the same way some dealers like A1 are accepting sealed live-scans. I'll do some poking around. No hacking though, honest!

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Yes, but FFLs can not abuse the system and start running Other NICS checks in order to run a NICS check on everyone picking up a handgun.
    I get that, and was not trying to imply otherwise, just noting that they can, in fact, run "Other" on appropriate devices that do not require any interaction with the dreaded MSP. I'll just go back to observe mode on this thread.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Yes, but FFLs can not abuse the system and start running Other NICS checks in order to run a NICS check on everyone picking up a handgun.

The FFLs are in situation that is seems to be exclusive to MD and CA. Since the back log is so long but they are told they can release after X days but with no proof that a customer is prohibited. So they can release and that customer kills someone with that gun they may not get criminal action blowback but could get civil action blowback. They all took a chance thinking that they would be able to float this through, ultimately this action will frustrate new MD gunowners since they most likely will not have a recent ND paperwork. It may also cut the early releases due to liability concerns of many of the FFLs.

ianmcall

Sep 21, 2011
    Damascus, MD
    I just received information that the ATF is telling dealers that they are NOT to release ANY firearms without a NICS #. If anyone one out there can get me an official statement or email on this email it to me.

I can not find an official open letter on their site and this is conflicting information from what they have been instructing dealers so far.

K3LAG

Appreciate it. No worries, my FFL Eakle firearms was releasing early for two weeks then they got intimidated just this week. Unfortunately I was not one of the lucky ones. So my precious 7 guns are still sitting there being fondle by the ffl.

Just kidding with the fondle crack.

Sorry to hear that. I was one of the lucky ones. All of mine are out of other people's safes and in mine now.

Larry

iggy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 26, 2013
    I just received information that the ATF is telling dealers that they are NOT to release ANY firearms without a NICS #. If anyone one out there can get me an official statement or email on this email it to me.

I can not find an official open letter on their site and this is conflicting information from what they have been instructing dealers so far.

I like to see the official word on that too, just not before Friday. (That's my current 8th day) :hopingitaintso:

Rockfish

Feb 26, 2013

Mind if I ask who told you that? Kind of a bombshell to be dropping with no source info...

Gbh

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012

It was in an email sent to dealers witinn the last couple of days.
    I read it today and it resembled some of the things that have been posted here before. I'm fairly sure someone has already posted the email.
    I did not ask the dealer for a copy or permission to take a pic of the email.
    It is the politest way ATF could say "go ahead, make my day"

ianmcall

Sep 21, 2011
    Damascus, MD

I do mind until I have something official tacked down. So far all I have is information that two dealers where told not to release without NICS # by the ATF. I dont know if they were sent something official or someone called. They did not provide any detail other than "We have been told not to release without a nic# from the ATF and they will not give us one because of MD." I am doing my best now to get more details. I will post more as soon as I have something.

Even then I probably wont post the informants name.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Unless the ATF changes the law, then it technically doesn't matter. They can tell dealers not to release without NICS, but they still can after 8 days by LAW. Now I also understand the ATF can make life miserable for the FFL as well as bad press, etc. if a disapproved person gets a firearm and does bad things with it. This state is sooo f'ed up.

Reloader

Ultimate Member
    Oct 23, 2007
    Arnold, MD
    I do mind until I have something official tacked down. So far all I have is information that two dealers where told not to release without NICS # by the ATF. I dont know if they were sent something official or someone called. They did not provide any detail other than "We have been told not to release without a nic# from the ATF and they will not give us one because of MD." I am doing my best now to get more details. I will post more as soon as I have something.

Even then I probably wont post the informants name.

Oh good, you had me worried, you kinda threw it out there like it was carved in stone

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom