• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • noylj

Jun 3, 2012
    Never noticed any problems with any of the various electronic balances I've used.
    Suspect a mixture of cheap balances and BS. Electronics must thermally equilibrate. My Ainsworth scale (It's about 40 years old now and still working perfectly) shows no effect from a smart phone near by. All a cell phone puts out is radio waves, which the air is full of anyway. Now, if there is a magnet in the cell phone, there could be an effect. For one thing, we can all test our scales and cell phones and see.
    My RCBS ChargeMaster was weighing out 4.8gn of 231. I had to go in the house and when I finally came back about three days later, it was reading 4.8gn for the charge in the pan. Threw the charge back in the hopper any way and went on my way.
    From working in labs, it is just automatic to always hit the tare button before any weighing.

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    Tate button? My !RCBS 510 scale from the 80's was going off about 2to 4 tenths a grain after 10 to 15 rounds. I discovered it when reloading. I started out with 5.7 gr and ended with 5.2 after 50 rounds. My RCBS was rock solid and I do have a weight set. I sort of lost all confidence in beam balances until I cleaned throughly the knife edge. Read that on the Internet. I use the beam as backup and trust the electronic. It would not surprise me if a cell phone close proximity to it might affect it. On my list to check.

Thanks for the input.

BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    I've have seen that air movement from the fan from a heat pump or a box fan cause my RCBS chargemaster scale to read off. Now when reloading I close all vents to avoid this issue.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    Well they don't really define what "stable operating temperature" is, and frankly most of us don't reload in a deep freezer or sauna bath. Room temperature (let's say 70 degrees as a baseline) should be fine, and these aren't old "tube style" electronics, modern integrated circuits and other components have a wide tolerance for ambient temps, and don't generally need to "warm up" too much when turned on to function normally, 45 mins, are they serious..?? I really find that hard to believe, but I don't shoot 300 yd benchrest either, so who knows..

At any rate, my Lyman Micro touch has been rock solid accurate and reliable, and I never "warm it up", I do try to keep it dust free and the pan clean and free of anything that might change an accurate reading, beyond that it's been one of the most accurate, reliable, and easiest to use scales I've ever owned. As for the cell phones, the solution to that is pretty simple, don't text or chat on the phone, and turn it off while you're weighing charges.

noylj

Jun 3, 2012
    "The ChargeMaster dispenser comes equipped with a wind guard. This allows you to load in conditions that most scales will not handle."
    The same thing happens to equally sensitive beam scales.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom