• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.
    HB 45

"Synopsis:

Repealing the requirement that the Secretary of State Police base a finding that an applicant for a handgun permit has a good and substantial reason to wear, carry, or transport a handgun on an investigation; establishing a presumption that an applicant for a handgun permit has a good and substantial reason to wear, carry, or transport a handgun for the purposes of qualifying for a handgun permit; and establishing that the Secretary has the burden of specified proof."

What does that mean? that the secratary has to prove an applicant has a good and substantiol reason to carry instead of the applicant providing it? and Jim Sr your link took me to the op's link unless you were posting it for others to be able to search other things.

sim1776

Oct 30, 2010
    Harford county
    HB 45

What does that mean? that the secratary has to prove an applicant has a good and substantiol reason to carry instead of the applicant providing it? and Jim Sr your link took me to the op's link unless you were posting it for others to be able to search other things.

I read it as meaning that the permit seeker is "presumed" to have a reason for cc changing it from showing need by the permit seeker. The burden is now on the Secretary to prove otherwise.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    I read it as meaning that the permit seeker is "presumed" to have a reason for cc changing it from showing need by the permit seeker. The burden is now on the Secretary to prove otherwise.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=72499

Discussed there.

The bill is a disaster. Why? It doesn't say what the burden is. The MSP could say "You may have a good reason; but, Guns are Bad M'kay" and that would be grounds for denial.

w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    Probably old news, but I just checked my new Congressional District, a result of the blatant gerrymandering by the present Maryland politicos.

For years we were in the 1st Cong Dist, Rep today by Andy Harris......

This year, and for some time to come, we are now in Dist 4, saddled with lower PG county, and Donna Edwards. A check of Demographic numbers makes it clear that
    the here-to-fore Conservative leanings in North Anne Arundel County will be blanked out
    by the Social Progressive Liberals in southern PG county.......sheer numbers alone paint a bleak picture.

All thanks to Senate Bill 1, passed October 20, 2011. And it gets worse when the Maryland Legislative shuffle is voted on (read passed)......

If you have not check your new status, and Representatives, you may be in for quite a surprise....
    R

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    New bill in there - it requires the Secretary of State Police to notify machine gun owners of the new registration period. I know I never got a notice to renew. Supposedly others have gotten them in the past?

Vince55

Vince55
    Aug 10, 2010
    Lusby, Md
    Probably old news, but I just checked my new Congressional District, a result of the blatant gerrymandering by the present Maryland politicos.

For years we were in the 1st Cong Dist, Rep today by Andy Harris......

This year, and for some time to come, we are now in Dist 4, saddled with lower PG county, and Donna Edwards. A check of Demographic numbers makes it clear that
    the here-to-fore Conservative leanings in North Anne Arundel County will be blanked out
    by the Social Progressive Liberals in southern PG county.......sheer numbers alone paint a bleak picture.

All thanks to Senate Bill 1, passed October 20, 2011. And it gets worse when the Maryland Legislative shuffle is voted on (read passed)......

If you have not check your new status, and Representatives, you may be in for quite a surprise....
    R
    It just kills me that they got away with this. :mad54:

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    New bill in there - it requires the Secretary of State Police to notify machine gun owners of the new registration period. I know I never got a notice to renew. Supposedly others have gotten them in the past?

On it's face, this sounds like a good thing to me.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Isn't that already covered under federal statute (e.g., the reason for having the ATF checks on every regulated purchase anyway)?

It is more or less. I can't think of anything Maryland defines as a crime of violence that wouldn't be a felony or at least a 1+ year misdemeanor in another state. This looks like just part of their yearly effort to pay homage to the anti-gun busybodies.

Still, the bill is sponsored by a who's who of the anti gun crowd down there. Will need to be watched carefully for any loopholes they could screw us on and especially for any modifications in chambers.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Well that would be nice I have a VA non res permit and there seems to be quite a few sponsors for this does it have a chance at passing?

I hate to say it but most likely not. Assuming best case scenario where it were to make it out of the House, Brian Frosh would most certainly then stop it in the Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee, even if he had to use his de facto veto by simply not bringing it up to a committee vote. Unfortunately that's the kind of power these committee chairs have down there, and he's already on the record saying law-abiding lowly common peasants such as we who want carry permits are "nuts." I would love to see the bill become law, but even if everyone wanted it to, all it takes is the chair of the assigned committee in either chamber to sit on a bill and the bill dies. Best comparison is all the Ehrlich years when most everyone wanted slots but Michael Busch sat on the bill and made sure they couldn't get enacted, because it was more important to screw the Republican governor than to take care of the people.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom