Like ticks and chiggers weren't enough....

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • new_shooter

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2010
    Wheel bugs rarely bite humans, but when they do most people describe it as more painful than stings from wasps/bees. When they catch prey they stab it with their beaks (long, thin noses) and then inject an enzyme that acts like an acid, liquifying soft tissues so that they can be sucked out.

That same enzyme is why wheel bug bites often cause quite a bit of damage, taking weeks or even months to heal. They aren't nearly as dangerous (potentially lethal) as snake bites, but they are far from pleasant.

On the plus side, they hunt stinkbugs. So it's not all bad.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Wheel bugs rarely bite humans, but when they do most people describe it as more painful than stings from wasps/bees. When they catch prey they stab it with their beaks (long, thin noses) and then inject an enzyme that acts like an acid, liquifying soft tissues so that they can be sucked out.

That same enzyme is why wheel bug bites often cause quite a bit of damage, taking weeks or even months to heal. They aren't nearly as dangerous (potentially lethal) as snake bites, but they are far from pleasant.

On the plus side, they hunt stinkbugs. So it's not all bad.

Plus side? Now that the Chinese stink bugs have invaded by the trillions, that means more of their food source, which means the population of beak-stabbing, enzyme-injecting, flesh-liquifying wheel bugs will explode.

Just kill me now.

capman98

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2011
    Mt. Airy maryland
    Plus side? Now that the Chinese stink bugs have invaded by the trillions, that means more of their food source, which means the population of beak-stabbing, enzyme-injecting, flesh-liquifying wheel bugs will explode.

Just kill me now.

hahaha. that made me laugh. I saw one of those stink bug killers in the shop last year, freaked me the F out. Almost grabed it accidently till I saw it at the last second. I have noticed barely any stink bugs at the house this year but have not seen any more of the killer bugs. Where o where did they go.......I really don't give a F.

brighid

Feb 6, 2013
    here
    Just one more nightmare to find in the yard, the velvet ant or better named cow killer ant. Apparently the sting hurts so bad it could kill a cow. They are wasps not ants, but either way I don't want to get stung. Before I knew of their hurtful nature I came across one in the garden and watched it for a bit. Now I run inside until it's safe.

cow killer.jpg

BondJamesBond

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 2, 2009
    One of my boys was cutting the grass around my "yard art" (old vehicles/junk pile)the other day. I see him stop and look at his forearm, rub it some, look at it again, and then just stares at it.

I walk over and he says "I think I got stung by a wasp", but there was a big, strange mark at the site: bunch of little dots, and general area raised up fast.

Then he says, "What is THIS thing?" and points at some critter on his shirt sleeve.

Looked like a cross between a slug and a stegasaurus. So flicked it off, and we took turns stomping and smearing it for a couple minutes.

Looked it up, and it was the catepillar for the "Puss moth"/Asp moth/Southern Flannel moth, most TOXIC caterpillar in MD.

40+ years ago, I only got the occasional wood tick, and I about LIVED in the woods. What's next???

Can't call them chiggers anymore. you have to call them Chigroes.

Raven

Jan 15, 2013
    Those saddlebacks are nasty! have been stung by them before. I look real carefully before I reach into any kind of plant. :( And if you have ever been stung by a cow killer, you know where it got it's name! They are hard to kill too. They actually make a squealing noise when you try to squish them. They are good practice with an airgun if you can get them off the gravel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alfontso

Latest threads

Top Bottom