• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ClarkM

Apr 3, 2010
    AR-15 or AR-10

Which one if you could only have one? With all the pros and cons considered(difference in ammo prices, accuracy, etc)

I've done my research, but I want to hear your opinions. Ultimately, I'm torn, so this will be my deciding factor!

Let the Battle begin!

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    AR-15. If I could afford to feed a .308 (I can't), it would probably be an FAL.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    The AR-10. All things considered, it has better range capability. In an urban environment, it loses some capability to the AR-15. Accuracy is about equal, with an edge going to the AR-10 at longer ranges. Ammunition is available for both, cost based off of the size of the cartridge. Loadout goes to the AR-15 for larger ammunition capacity. The decision would be based on what the situation is (EOTWAWKI, or everyday). For me, I would go with the AR-10.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    AR-15 is a solid platform, the 5.56 round is like shooting a 22.

AR-10 is rugged, heavy on the recoil to keep your eye on target.

If I had to narrow it down to one, it would a the AR-15 in 7.62X39 :party29:

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    AR-15s tend to have a lot fewer problems inherently, especially once you consider the cost of a decent 15 vs 10, and components/accesories are a whole lot more prevalent.

for a 308 cal, M1A or FAL would be a better choice unless you were going for a top end AR-10, which would be similarly priced, and probably more.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    AR-15.

With my limited exposure to AR-10s (I've only had shooting sessions with 3), I have yet to find one that was 100% reliable. All three I shot (two DPMS and one Armalite) had feeding issues when they got dirty. That being said, I understand that LWRC .308's are the cat's ass. (I have no personal experience with them, though.)

For .308, I'd put my money on a FAL. Not the prettiest girl at the ball, but man, can she dance.

ETA: I've also always liked the Springfield Armory M1 SOCOM series; pricey for what they are, though.

cropped-socom-medium.jpg

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    AR-15. The AR-10 is like a 1911. Some may work flawlessly out of the box and run on anything.

Then there are the others. They can spend more time on the work bench then the shooting bench.

For a 308, I like & own the M1A/M14 platform.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I'll really stir the pot now.

An AR-10.

Because I could sell it and buy three good AK's. An AR-15 I could only sell and buy two good AK's with. :D

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    AR-10, Recoil? Doesn't seem to have any when you tuck it into your shoulder.

It's tucked using open sights, just takes a tad longer to move the muzzle back on target with an AR-10 than an AR-15.

When you wish to lay down suppressive fire, and yell "Get Some", 30 round mags are a bonus also :D

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    It's tucked using open sights, just takes a tad longer to move the muzzle back on target with an AR-10 than an AR-15.

When you wish to lay down suppressive fire, and yell "Get Some", 30 round mags are a bonus also :D

Point taken.:lol2:

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland

unless it has an 8inch barrel on an ar-10..lmao.

one guy brought one at MG this past weekend.. it was sweet looking thing.:party29:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom