• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Maybe they didn't get the email because MSP screwed up and they're not on the distribution list, even if they are supposed to be.

It's the MSP after all.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    There are some that a .22 is the best tool for the job.

True, but it was not presented that way. It was a flat out statement that .22 if more than enough for home defense.

Yes, 10 hits with a .22 are better than all misses with a larger cailber. But looking at the customer, I figure that they would never take a course or practice, so hits by any caliber are unlikely.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    This letter came from the Department of Redundancy Department. They are basically saying that if you don't put a notice of 8th day release on the affidavit form you are not requesting the MSP follow the law and are ok with MSP taking longer to process. I wonder! Can I right on the back of my truck window this truck exceeds the speed limit by 20MPH unless requested to go slower by police.

Sounds legit

jvegas

Ultimate Member
    Aug 15, 2009
    I know getting advice from someone who doesn't actually have an FFL is pretty much meaningless, but I DO recommend you send in the 77R with the "Eighth day release of a regulated firearm." cover sheet, as it dictates to the MSP to run a NICS and collect an NTN immediately. I just want to prevent people from getting into trouble on the federal level. I understand it's the responsibility of MSP to run the check anyway, but it's just one extra piece of paper that gives them, and you a chance to make sure all federal and state guidelines are met.

Talking with the Bollinger's the email chain on the original "Weekly update 5-31" email was pretty short and only 25 other dealers email addresses CC'd. Two of which were to Bass Pro, one for Beretta and one for Benelli USA, the rest were small business gun shops. The email was legit as it came from a maryland.gov email address. I'm not going to have them post the email chain for privacy purposes, but it wasn't that long.

I get that for new applications, but I am
    not going to resend my faxes with another page attached. So what if all dealers attach this notice to every application? The notice automatically means MSP can all of a sudden run instant NICS checks? No, they will still
    be backed up. There is nothing on the Fed level that instructs dealers to do this. Nothing official on the state level, either.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    This letter came from the Department of Redundancy Department. They are basically saying that if you don't put a notice of 8th day release on the affidavit form you are not requesting the MSP follow the law and are ok with MSP taking longer to process. I wonder! Can I right on the back of my truck window this truck exceeds the speed limit by 20MPH unless requested to go slower by police.

No, read the email again. It says to send it AGAIN with the cover sheet WHEN you release it. Not to do this when you submit.

This tells MSP to run a quick check to try to catch any disapproved early and not wait another 60 days to have to go get the gun.

jvegas

Ultimate Member
    Aug 15, 2009
    No, read the email again. It says to send it AGAIN with the cover sheet WHEN you release it. Not to do this when you submit.

This tells MSP to run a quick check to try to catch any disapproved early and not wait another 60 days to have to go get the gun.

So this letter attached to an App means that MSP is going to magically keep up with NICS checks?

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    It really doesn't make much sense, does it?

Or maybe it's going to another group entirely, and they'll get to it when they have time?

Or maybe it's to create confusion and cause inconsistencies, so they can just shut the whole mess down?!

Or it's just a way they can say, "Lookie-us! We tried to help!!" when the suit goes before the Judge.....

bogus130

Jan 23, 2013
    It really doesn't make much sense, does it?

Or maybe it's going to another group entirely, and they'll get to it when they have time?

Or maybe it's to create confusion and cause inconsistencies, so they can just shut the whole mess down?!

Or it's just a way they can say, "Lookie-us! We tried to help!!" when the suit goes before the Judge.....

I think it is MSP just being lazy. Not wanting to change their process in order to quicken releases. They could have started running NICS checks the day the app was faxed in way back when the buying rush started and been more comfortable allowing 8 day releases, but instead kept up with the same old routine.
    They also knew that no matter if they did the background check in 8 days or 80 days, there was no repercussions for them, they still get paid, and the public has no choice but to deal with it. Luckily, MSI and others joined up to get them to wake up a little and change some procedures.
    I still think that the MSP believes they are untouchable, and only has to do juuust enough keep the backlash to a dull roar. Hoping they get a rude awakening in court.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I firmly believe this email was a direct result of the MSI lawsuit and is a way for them to soften any repercussions by showing the court they were trying to comply months after the problem started. Hope the judge sees through this BS.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    I firmly believe this email was a direct result of the MSI lawsuit and is a way for them to soften any repercussions by showing the court they were trying to comply months after the problem started. Hope the judge sees through this BS.

I agree... they thumbed their noses at the gun-buying public until the lawsuit...

Ovechtrick

Mar 7, 2011
    Montgomery County
    I just called Atlantic Guns and they are not following this either. This is just speculation, but it sounds like they may start following this soon since the person I spoke with said "not yet, we will let everyone know WHEN we do".

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011

I waited 47 days back in January. Only got it that soon because it was a "secondary" transfer and I talked the seller into releasing.

This schit has been going on for 6 months now, them sending out a letter shouldn't have everyone warm and fuzzy just yet. :sad20:

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    I waited 47 days back in January. Only got it that soon because it was a "secondary" transfer and I talked the seller into releasing.

This schit has been going on for 6 months now, them sending out a letter shouldn't have everyone warm and fuzzy just yet. :sad20:

Yes... something about this still smells funny... but I suppose we'll know more before too long.

mhemling33

May 7, 2013
    Forest Hill
    I just called horst & mccann in hickory asking if they were going to be doing the 8th day release talked about in the weekly update and was told the owner doesn't want to do that.

Fireball

Mar 5, 2013
    Rising Sun, md
    This is obviously a rapidly evolving situation. I think it'll be sooner than later before all FFLs have to start practicing 8-day before they are completely shunned as a place to buy future guns.

However, there are details that need to be figured out before this happens too widespread.

blkrex

Mar 11, 2013
    Bobs Sunoco in Callaway,md is not releasing on the 8th day.
    The Tackle Box in lexington park said they have heard about the update from MSP but have not gotten the offjcial word yet.

mhemling33

May 7, 2013
    Forest Hill
    This is obviously a rapidly evolving situation. I think it'll be sooner than later before all FFLs have to start practicing 8-day before they are completely shunned as a place to buy future guns.

However, there are details that need to be figured out before this happens too widespread.

I fully agree with you. I have two guns there right now but if anyone can recommend me someone around the bel air area of harford county I will try them out if things don't change.

Also if this 8th day thing happens I have two guns in the system 3/27, 5/13. I am not a designated collector.... will i have to wait 30 days before I can pick the second purchase up even though I did the paperwork more then 30 days apart?

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    I get that for new applications, but I am
    not going to resend my faxes with another page attached. So what if all dealers attach this notice to every application? The notice automatically means MSP can all of a sudden run instant NICS checks? No, they will still
    be backed up. There is nothing on the Fed level that instructs dealers to do this. Nothing official on the state level, either.

The short answer to your question is YES they'll be able to kill some of their backlog quicker. The reason for this, and I'm not making this up, is that to work with 16+ extra databases that MD uses for their "full" background check, a new employee must be read-on to a MD state clearance. The reason for that is the state employee will have access to incredibly sensitive personal information, even juvenile records. This in itself takes a long background investigation into that particular individual, and therefore hiring new employees can be cumbersome. This will allow MSP to hire/reallocate individuals that do not need that specific clearance, and can just run normal NICS checks, like every other FFL in the country. It's that simple. I agree, that's their own idiocracy. I also believe they were not in a big rush before, but with the looming lawsuit from MSI, AGC, etc. they had to pull their head out of their proverbial asses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cddrive

Latest threads

Top Bottom