• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tim460

May 22, 2010
    Baltimore Co.
    I'm currently in an academy for an agency in md. I applied to my top two choices and was hired by one. It took almost two years to get hired from the day i decided to change careers to law enforcement so don't get discouraged if it takes longer than expected. We were told about one out of every fifty applicants were actually hired.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    I'm currently in an academy for an agency in md. I applied to my top two choices and was hired by one. It took almost two years to get hired from the day i decided to change careers to law enforcement so don't get discouraged if it takes longer than expected. We were told about one out of every fifty applicants were actually hired.

So, which academy are you in?

Tim460

May 22, 2010
    Baltimore Co.
    I'll post when I graduate, as there are members on the board from the agency, and we're not to be in contact with anyone from the agency unless it's for academy purposes. I don't want to get my class smoked, we've had plenty of it already.

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    I'll post when I graduate, as there are members on the board from the agency, and we're not to be in contact with anyone from the agency unless it's for academy purposes. I don't want to get my class smoked, we've had plenty of it already.

Smart move. Better yet don't post it at all save for a select few of your choosing. Good luck.

:thumbup:

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown

OK, fine, good luck. BTW, based on your response, I know which one you're in. Good department. Stick with it.

Hunterjjd

Jun 29, 2011
    late notice but just saw this

Hiring - MD Transportation Authority Police

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See attached flyer.
    Openings in the southern Maryland area, in addition to other locations in the state.

Local opportunity for applicant process.

Date: Sept 29, 2012
    College of Southern Maryland - La Plata Campus.

Applicant Process-
    Online advance registration required
    Check in begins at 6:30 a.m. and ends at 7:15 a.m. followed by Physical Aglity and Written Testing.

Recruiting for:
    Police Officer
    Police Cadet
    Lateral Officer

One day process.
    Visit online at www.mdtapolicerecruitment.com or call the Recruitment and Selection Unit at 410-537-7641/42 or 1-877-890-8827

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Sill looking?

I do the recruiting and backgrounds for the City of Hyattsville, Maryland Police Department. We have five openings right now, experience preferred but not required.

We are also looking for a Property and Evidence Tech, (no experience required, but it would be a plus) a great gig for a retired cop looking for some extra retirement income.

Check the Jobs Boards in this forum for all the details.

Insane Irish

Oct 3, 2012
    Secret Service Uniformed Division is almost always hiring. Decent Starting salary, many different divisions, ERT (swat), Counter Snipers, Crime Scene, K-9, Counter surveilance.
    Plus almost unlimited overtime, and the oppurtunity to travel cross country, overseas ect. A lot different than your standard Police department.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Secret Service Uniformed Division is almost always hiring. Decent Starting salary, many different divisions, ERT (swat), Counter Snipers, Crime Scene, K-9, Counter surveilance.
    Plus almost unlimited overtime, and the oppurtunity to travel cross country, overseas ect. A lot different than your standard Police department.

Mandatory OT. Unfortunately all the OT you make in a year doesn't count into your high 3 salary calculation for your retirement percentage.

Sent from my phone from somewhere in the world.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD

Realistically with the added overtime, one can make over 6 figures? Retire in 20 years also?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Realistically with the added overtime, one can make over 6 figures? Retire in 20 years also?

you will make 100. However, that 30k a year in overtime does not add into your retirement. To make the math easy, let's say your high salary over 20 years has been 60, 70, & 80 k. But you've made 40k each year in Ot. 100, 110 & 120k. When it is time to retire, your retirement percentage calculation will be a percentage of 60+70+80/3=70k x 40% =28k
    Not 100+110+120/3=110x40%.=44k retirement. Don't spend a long time with them in uniform.
    get experience and go somewhere else all of your pay gets added in the retirement adjustment.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    Another thing to consider when looking long term is whether or not social security is deducted or not. Some department are not part of the SS system. Up front, those departments put some extra cash in your pocket and if you're smart and sock it away you will be fine come age 66. But young guys usually don't think long term. Anyway, SS is calculated on a lot of factors, including how much you've paid into it over the years and the number of contributory years. So, if you have a streak of 20-25 years of no contributions, your SS will be substantially less. For instance, I have a buddy my age - he retired from PG County where he did not pay into SS. His SS at age 66 will be about $1100 a month, while mine will be about $2000. Just something else to ponder.

Yet another factor is the big difference in pension systems. Contributions vary between agencies in Maryland from 4% to a high that I know of (Howard County) at 11%. Although that 11% takes a big bite from your paycheck, I think that agency pension percentage is somewhat higher than most when you pull the plug.

Last edited:

jvegas

Ultimate Member
    Aug 15, 2009
    Baltimore City is always hiring. But be aware...it's Baltimore City.

Baltimore County should be hiring soon....good pay...okay agency. Has a good deal of respect both in and out of the state for their work.

MSP has classes every year....take home car is a perk. Pay scales have been frozen for years....can be stationed fairly far from home making for a long drive to work.

MdTA good agency...pay frozen with MSP. No take home car. Enforcement isnt typical police work and is more focused on security at airport and traffic enforcement.

MTA dont bother.

Carroll Co. SD was hiring recently. Low pay for the area...not a great retirement but they get a take home car. Growing agency so promotions and assignments might be easy to get some assignments as a growing agency.

Howard County Good reputation. Moral seems high. Good pay. Take home car. Relatively small agency. Best paint scheme in the Baltimore area for their cars.

In all honesty the best bet is to apply for several you are interested in. Do some ride alongs with depts. you are serious with. This will give you a feel for what they do, their mission, and their equipment.

Also depending on how much money you need dont rule out some of the small depts. like colleges to get your foot in the door.

this is right on. didnt even bother reading any other replies. Apply to many, take the first job offered. you can always go somewhere else after getting some experience. some depts accept laterals, some do not. MSP and BPD will require you take their academy, regardless if you are current LEO or not. Balto County, rarely takes laterals but they recently hired i think 50 from BPD.

if you have any specific BPD questions, feel free to PM me.

ridethemessiah

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2012
    Cecil County
    this is right on. didnt even bother reading any other replies. Apply to many, take the first job offered. you can always go somewhere else after getting some experience. some depts accept laterals, some do not. MSP and BPD will require you take their academy, regardless if you are current LEO or not. Balto County, rarely takes laterals but they recently hired i think 50 from BPD.

I agree 100%. Just start applying buddy.

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD

Baltimore Co has put on two lateral classes this year (one being in progress).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom