• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Th taurus is front drive, the 500 which is the same platform is all wheel drive. I'm curious to know if the police packge taurus would have all wheel drive since its available in the 500.

I'm not sure about the Taurus but we also got a bunch of AWD explorers,

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    How are the Explorers holding up in the city?

Talked to a TPR the other day and he loved his Tahoe...but he's job is a bit different.

Ummm don't really know we have only got one at my district and it had to be sent back for a manufacture defect. We aren't going to get many of them as we wreck a decent amount of cars and if my sgt is smart he won't hand me the keys to one :).

The other unit who drove it really liked its ability to take speed bumps and stated it was comfortable. They are all going to be management or transport cars so we will really see how they hold up then.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Try to bring us back.

I had the opportunity to be a LEO back in the day and instead followed my intended path of teaching. Had my degree, couldn't find a job teaching, so I did some private security and loss prevention stuff. With Dad's background as a LEO I was able to get into the circle and was actually on the way to apply for a police gig when I was called about a teaching position. I often think about the "what if", as I am sure we all do at times. I have always felt I could have done the LEO thing and would have enjoyed it, but alas.

If I was able to move laterally from teaching to police work I would seriously consider it. Teaching has gotten "strange" in our world, doing good in education is getting tougher. But then again I am 41, in ok shape, have some experience and some brain power...............not sure if I would be wanted.:o

Police work is something you have to do not just want to do. I may have missed my window so don't miss yours if you have that need.

Just my 2 cents.

TD

there's only one way to find out if you can make the cut and that's just to do it....

my wife is a teacher and I use to be an SRO. Teachers make decisions by Committee...I hate that!!!!! I can't never understand why teachers get stressed because they're being "Observed".....I'm "Observed" everyday??

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Teacher stress over observations because the powers that be make it clear they can get rid of you if they don't like what they see. I have always welcomed observations, if Im not doing my job I should be told so. Also, maybe the observer would see what I put up with everyday.

TD

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    How are the Explorers holding up in the city?

Talked to a TPR the other day and he loved his Tahoe...but he's job is a bit different.

Those Tahoes that the MSP may be the fastest vehicles in the fleet. They have a dropped suspension so they can be rated for pursuit. Freaking scary fast, scary.

robertgreen79

Mar 20, 2012
    College Park
    Do any of the police departments have a weight requirement? I have lost 20 pounds so far. Ive been holding off on applying until I lose more weight.

Sent from the toilet via Tapatalk

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Do any of the police departments have a weight requirement? I have lost 20 pounds so far. Ive been holding off on applying until I lose more weight.

I'm sure that some do. Most Dept's have their standards posted online under their recruiting/ hiring tab.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I'm just wondering if I should lose all the weight before I even bother applying

I dont think many large MD departments have weight limits.

If you can pass the run, do the push ups/situps, and bench what needs to be benched then you can get it.

I've seen some porkly looking recruits.

If you cant do the run and other physical stuff then yes...lose the weight before applying.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    There's no reason to KEEP the extra weight and hiring is sporadic. You need to be in good shape at all times if you want to apply. Besides that, the days of the fat cop are passing. More departments are trying to pass annual physical re-quals and the demands of the job are such that you either stay in shape or retire early with a broken body. Make it a life style now.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    This looks like kind of an older thread but I have some input. I've got 30 years in and am retiring this year to go into the gun business full time, but I have some info with regard to agencies in Maryland.

As long as you can pass the physical and agility screening, there is no upper age limit. I've done my agencies backgrounds for many years and we hire folks in their later thirties through their late forties on a regular basis, and we aren’t a “retirement gig" agency.

College helps, but in point of fact is not necessary for most agencies in my area.

With regrad to weight, one has to be able to pass an agility test in most cases, and of course you PT every day in the academy, so get any extra weight off now.

In a blatant plug, here is a link for anyone looking for a job; we have 7 openings.

http://www.hyattsville.org/index.aspx?nid=95

Last edited:

robertgreen79

Mar 20, 2012
    College Park
    This looks like kind of an older thread but I have some input. I've got 30 years in and am retiring this year to go into the gun business full time, but I have some info with regard to agencies in Maryland.

As long as you can pass the physical and agility screening, there is no upper age limit. I've done my agencies backgrounds for many years and we hire folks in their later thirties through their late forties on a regular basis, and we aren’t “retirement gig" agency.

College helps, but in point of fact is not necessary for most agencies in my area.

With regrad to weight, one has to be able to pass an agility test in most cases, and of course you PT every day in the academy, so get any extra weight off now.

In a blatant plug, here is a link for anyone looking for a job; we have 7 openings.

http://www.hyattsville.org/index.aspx?nid=95

Its funny you mention Hyattsville. Thats exactly where I wanted to go.

robertgreen79

Mar 20, 2012
    College Park
    Last night I attempted the fitness test and surprised myself. I actually passed everything, and destroyed the pushups and situps. I may be applying sooner rather than later.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I dont think many large MD departments have weight limits.

If you can pass the run, do the push ups/situps, and bench what needs to be benched then you can get it.

I've seen some porkly looking recruits.

If you cant do the run and other physical stuff then yes...lose the weight before applying.

This. I have to sign off on the papers for various departments. If you can pass the fitness test, you are GTG. The run is not that easy. 1.5 miles in a little under 13 minutes, IIRC. For someone who is out of shape, that can be like climbing Mt. Everest.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    And since we are derailing this a bit to show our cruisers, here is my take home. I like it a lot, better than the awful Impalas...

It has had limo tint installed since this pic, a big improvement.
    Messydesk012light-1.jpg

Here is a marked car. (Brand new at the time, no light bar installed yet.)
    DSCN9082.jpg

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    The Impala's are just hateful units, I often ask "Who did you piss off to get stuck in an Impala?"

I'm willing to bet GM will keep some agencies because of the Tahoe, but the Impala and Caprice don't really stack up to well against the Charger and new Taurus police models.

I'd be willing to bet Ford's going to do well with the Taurus, the layout and the seats alone make it a strong contender. The fact that the eco-boost models smoke the Charger and the Caprice doesn't hurt either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom