• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rpker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2009
    Charles County
    So my son wants to build and test a potato gun for his science fair project in school. Two questions are these things even legal in this nanny state and how much trouble is the school district gonna cause me if I help him do this...

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Can't speak for the school, so I won't.

As far as the state and fed's go though, as long as you only use potato's (or produce in general) for ammo, then it's kosher.

I've built more than a few, from small ones that only shoot about 90 yards, to bigger ones that have single or dual chambers - those can get out beyond 300 yards on a good day.

View attachment 95616

If you put one of those ricer mufflers on (has to be a straight-thru type), it gives an interesting sound to them.

Last edited:

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Can't speak for the school, so I won't.

As far as the state and fed's go though, as long as you only use potato's (or produce in general) for ammo, then it's kosher.

I've built more than a few, from small ones that only shoot about 90 yards, to bigger ones that have single or dual chambers - those can get out beyond 300 yards on a good day.

View attachment 95616

If you put one of those ricer mufflers on (has to be a straight-thru type), it gives an interesting sound to them.

So you suppressed it. Do you have a stamp for it?

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    So my son wants to build and test a potato gun for his science fair project in school. Two questions are these things even legal in this nanny state and how much trouble is the school district gonna cause me if I help him do this...

LOL, this is Maryland. He'd probably get suspended for eating a potato into the shape of a potato gun.

Knuc

Apr 1, 2009
    Allegany County
    Rpker If I remember correctly the state outlawed them a couple of years ago. Check with the MSP fire marshals office for sure but I think they were considered a destructive device.

CLP

Dec 18, 2012
    Is the legality of it only based on if you are using a combustion method? If so just use compressed air, I had a nice "pear gun" as a youth that launched off 100psi

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    Is the legality of it only based on if you are using a combustion method? If so just use compressed air, I had a nice "pear gun" as a youth that launched off 100psi

From what I understand the definition of DD basically includes any type and method of propellant.

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD
    I think it would be a problem. The school system here is very strict about anything even remotely like a weapon.

If you do proceed please make sure you have their approval in writing, not just a verbal OK.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I seem to remember we made something similar at Boy Scout summer camp. We used tin cans taped together and launched tennis balls with lighter fluid. That was a lot of fun, and I don't think the state or the ATF got involved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom