Legal for 2 Maryland C&R Holders to Privately Transfer a Garand?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    I have a great memory, it’s just short. I’m selling a Garand here. Is it legal for 2 Maryland C&R holders to privately transfer the rifle w/o going through a FFL? I think I recall a FFL is still required..

Thanks

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I have a great memory, it’s just short. I’m selling a Garand here. Is it legal for 2 Maryland C&R holders to privately transfer the rifle w/o going through a FFL? I think I recall a FFL is still required..

Thanks

Perfectly legal without an FFL required.
    5-204.1(a)(1)(iv) of the Public Safety Article:

"
    (a) This section does not apply to:
    (1) a sale, rental, or transfer:
    (i) involving a licensee or a federally licensed gun manufacturer, dealer, or importer;
    (ii) between immediate family members;
    (iii) involving law enforcement personnel of any unit of the federal government, a member of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the National Guard, or law enforcement personnel of the State or any local agency in the State, while acting in the scope of official duty;
    (iv) of a curio or relic firearm between collectors who each have in their possession a valid collector of curios and relics license, as the terms are defined in federal law or determinations published by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives;
    (v) of an unserviceable rifle or shotgun sold, rented, or transferred as a curio or museum piece;
    (vi) of a rifle or shotgun modified to render it permanently inoperative; or
    (vii) in which the purchaser, lessee, or transferee:
    1. has a demonstrable religious belief against taking a portrait photograph; and
    2. does not possess a license or an identification card of any kind with photographic identification; or
    (2) a transfer that occurs by operation of law on the death of a person for whom the transferee is an executor, an administrator, a trustee, or a personal representative of an estate or a trust created in a will."

Jul 1, 2012

An "FFL" is still required - a "C&R holder" is an FFL -> an FFL-03 :)
    but the answer is yes, as dblas cited, FFL-03 to FFL-03 is legal.

I'm curious what the "licensee" in the statement: "involving a licensee OR a federally licensed gun manufacturer, dealer, OR importer" means since it breaks out a "licensee" from an FFL-01 (-02 also I assume), FFL-07 or FFL-08. But not curios enough to pursue it LOL.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    5-204.1(a)(1)(iv) of the Public Safety Article:

"
    (i) involving a licensee or a federally licensed gun manufacturer, dealer, or importer;
    (iii) involving law enforcement personnel of any unit of the federal government, a member of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the National Guard, or law enforcement personnel of the State or any local agency in the State, while acting in the scope of official duty;
    (iv) of a curio or relic firearm between collectors who each have in their possession a valid collector of curios and relics license, as the terms are defined in federal law or determinations published by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives;
    (v) of an unserviceable rifle or shotgun sold, rented, or transferred as a curio or museum piece;
    1. has a demonstrable religious belief against taking a portrait photograph; and
    2. does not possess a license or an identification card of any kind with photographic identification; or
    (2) a transfer that occurs by operation of law on the death of a person for whom the transferee is an executor, an administrator, a trustee, or a personal representative of an estate or a trust created in a will."
    Thank you Sir

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Since we are splitting hairs, then an LGS is not required and neither is a 4473.

I'm curious what the "licensee" in the statement: "involving a licensee OR a federally licensed gun manufacturer, dealer, OR importer" means since it breaks out a "licensee" from an FFL-01 (-02 also I assume), FFL-07 or FFL-08. But not curios enough to pursue it LOL.
    You could look it up in State Statute, it is defined there.

5-201(d) of the Public Safety Article:

(d) “Licensee” means a person who holds a dealer’s license.

An FFL03 (C&R) is not a dealer.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009

Yeah that's a possibility but never been determined.

I think the statue defines a licensee as a holder of a federal firearms license, which a c&r is.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Yeah that's a possibility but never been determined.

I think the statue defines a licensee as a holder of a federal firearms license, which a c&r is.
    You would be incorrect in what you believe the definition is. See my post above yours that has the definition from State Statute.
    It is a dealer, which a C&R is NOT.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore

§ 5-204.1. Restrictions on sale, rental, or transfer of rifle or shotgun — Facilitation by licensee — Fees — No civil liability.​

(2) a transfer that occurs by operation of law on the death of a person for whom the transferee is an executor, an administrator, a trustee, or a personal representative of an estate or a trust created in a will.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

§ 5-204.1. Restrictions on sale, rental, or transfer of rifle or shotgun — Facilitation by licensee — Fees — No civil liability.​

(2) a transfer that occurs by operation of law on the death of a person for whom the transferee is an executor, an administrator, a trustee, or a personal representative of an estate or a trust created in a will.

See post #2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    You would be incorrect in what you believe the definition is. See my post above yours that has the definition from State Statute.
    It is a dealer, which a C&R is NOT.
    It is a licensee or a dealer, per your post. The word or is in there. I'm sure the intent is as you say but it doesn't exactly read that way. I won't be the one to test this.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    It is a licensee or a dealer, per your post. The word or is in there. I'm sure the intent is as you say but it doesn't exactly read that way. I won't be the one to test this.
    Go look at the definition in the State Statute, see post #8 where I posted the actual definition of licensee straight from State Statute.
    And I am aware that they have "dealer" in the same paragraph, don't ask why, I have no clue and I really don't care because that wasn't the question that I answered (Definition of licensee).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom