• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • somoss

Silver Spring
    Feb 18, 2006
    My nephew is 15 and 6'2 and a lefty. He's used my righty 30.06 bolt action Remington but it's time he got his own. He likes bolt action otherwise I'd get him a break action.
    Because he has a long reach what should I do about the stock?
    Is there a stock that can work for him and allow some room for growth, he's 15.
    Who in the area, an hour or two of silver spring, might have some lefties in stock? Is there a rifle you'd recommend? Looking to spend about $1000 for first rifle to include decent scope.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Does he want a left hand bolt action? I shoot long guns left hand most of the time and as far as bolt guns go, I buy and use right hand ones because they are what I'm use to and comfortable with and are much easier to sell/trade if the need arises.
    Look into Savage as well...they make nice, accurate rifles that can be had in left hand version I believe

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    According to an article in American Rifleman from IIRC the spring, lefty bolt guns better protect a left handed position shooter from a catastrophic, "kaboom" type failure better then a left shooter using a right handed bolt gun.

Another vote for the Savage offering of lefty bolt guns. They are off the shelf accurate, available in a wide range of calibers and configurations, and are affordable. Other bolt guns might have the same to offer but I have no experience to share.

anecdote: I did manage to get a lefty Ruger M77 Mk2 pencil barrel shoot sub-MOA. It took glass bedding, barrel free floating, precision handloads, and only cold bore shots for the tight group.

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    My next buy/build for a hunting rifle will be a left handed tikka in .300wm with vortex diamondback hp. I'm hoping to be right around that 1k range once it's done

While the savage is a good value, after comparing several coworkers/fellow hunters guns (rem, tikka, fn, and savage) most seem to prefer the tikka over savage due to the smoothness of the action.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    IM left handed and shoot a right bolt gun. My left hand never leaves the gun, and I operating the bolt with my right hand. Much faster target acquisition and follow up shots.

Pwilliams1

Apr 25, 2013
    Agreed, I'm a lefty and prefer shooting right hand action bolt guns. Mostly because it's what I'm used to.

somoss

Silver Spring
    Feb 18, 2006
    He prefers bolt and definetly needs a left handed one. I'll look into savage and ruger. If you run into either in 30.06 in a gun shop let me know. Thanks

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I'm left handed and shoot a left handed bolt and my left hand never leaves the gun either, one shot should be all you need.;)
    OP, buy the left handed bolt and don't look back, I grew up when a left hand bolt was a white elephant and had to shoot right hand rifles, bought my first one in the late 80's and never looked back.

outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter
    I would think, if you grew up as a lefty shooting right handed rifles, you might want to stick to rightys, mainly because you're used to them and all your other rifles are set up that way. If this would be your first bolt gun, go lefty. No reason not to.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I'm left-handed and own about two dozen bolt-action rifles, all of them right-handed. I prefer it that way. It becomes second nature. If you get good at it, you can operate them faster than right-handed folks. On the flip side, I've handled more than a few left-handed rifles and they always seem weird and awkward. If you're a hunter or collector or both, it's to your benefit to be used to right-handed rifles since they are 100x easier to find and get parts for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom