• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park
    I would like to build a Left handed AR for my GF for her birthday thats coming up do they make special lowers or is it just the upper that matters? I am specifically looking for a 5.45 upper so I dont need to get another caliber

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    IIRC, the only thing the lower needs is ambi safety and ambi mag release. The main difference is in the upper.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I'm left handed. I have left-handed (Stag) and right-handed ARs. In my opinion, the only things that matter are the charging handle and left-side ejection port. Left-side ejection is nice if you want to avoid hot gas to the face and/or hot brass on your right arm (sometimes bouncing off your right arm and down your shirt).

Don't bother with the ambi mag release. Get accustomed to the standard one. I like the standard mag release as is. The way I do it is slide my right hand back from the handguard onto the upper exposed portion of the magazine. Your right thumb should naturally come to rest on the mag release button. Just press the mag release with your thumb while grasping the mag with your palm and fingers and pull down. Becomes quick and natural with practice.

I recommend an ambi charging handle, to make it much easier to pull back the handle with your right hand. Use your trigger finger to lock the bolt back.

I have no preference for the safety, be it right side, left side, or both. It's easy to go back and forth between the left and right sides with practice.

Bottom line is that the more you get used to the standard right-handed version (even with left-side ejection), the more proficient you become with any AR. Even the standard charging handle is not that big of a deal, but it's well worth the cost to get an ambi one. Ambi safeties are as little as $25 or so, making for a dirt cheap upgrade if you wish.

BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park
    I'm left handed. I have left-handed (Stag) and right-handed ARs. In my opinion, the only things that matter are the charging handle and left-side ejection port. Left-side ejection is nice if you want to avoid hot gas to the face and/or hot brass on your right arm (sometimes bouncing off your right arm and down your shirt).

Don't bother with the ambi mag release. Get accustomed to the standard one. I like the standard mag release as is. The way I do it is slide my right hand back from the handguard onto the upper exposed portion of the magazine. Your right thumb should naturally come to rest on the mag release button. Just press the mag release with your thumb while grasping the mag with your palm and fingers and pull down. Becomes quick and natural with practice.

I recommend an ambi charging handle, to make it much easier to pull back the handle with your right hand. Use your trigger finger to lock the bolt back.

I have no preference for the safety, be it right side, left side, or both. It's easy to go back and forth between the left and right sides with practice.

Bottom line is that the more you get used to the standard right-handed version (even with left-side ejection), the more proficient you become with any AR. Even the standard charging handle is not that big of a deal, but it's well worth the cost to get an ambi one. Ambi safeties are as little as $25 or so, making for a dirt cheap upgrade if you wish.

I cant find a left handed upper in 5.45 tho:mad54: really dont want to get back into 5.56 lol

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Right-handed is still fine. Only problem I've ever had with right-handed 5.56 is occasional hot brass and minor burns on my right arm. I've seen somebody get one down the shirt and starting jumping around like a rabbit. Builds character. :) Just leave your shirt untucked.

Does the 5.45 upper take a standard 5.56 charging handle? I'm ignorant of the differences.

It's your choice on the ambi charging handle and/or safety. I'm used to right-handed all the way, so anything ambi is either a luxury (charging handle, safety) or annoyance (mag release, bolt release).

gdubyacobb

Mar 6, 2009
    Patagonia Arizona
    I am a lefty and always have been.
    I've never had a single issue with a standard AR. Even the charging handle is fine. In many many rounds of shooting I have had one, ONE, casing bounce of of me. Never noticed the "gases".
    Lefties adapt.
    IMHO a left handed build is a waste on money.

BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park
    My gf hates the Ak's I have because they eject in the direction of her face. I was hoping i could get a AR for her and she will stop being made about the 2 ak's I bought:lol2:

straightsilver3

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 2, 2011
    everywhere
    The brass deflector on AR uppers were put there for lefties. If hot brass is such a bother I'm sure a Long seelve shirt is cheaper that a left hand set up This really is a non issue for left hand shooters

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    As a lefty, I've never had a problem with gasses form any of my AR's or brass. The only thing I change on my scoped AR's is I put an ambi tactical latch on the charging handle.

LostSoul

Nugget Popper
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ho Co
    I'm another lefty that has absolutely zero problems with a standard AR. An ambi safety is nice, but even that's not really necessary.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I've never had an issue shooting standard AR's lefty myself, at least with gases or spent casings. What got me, and most likely is stuck in your gf's mind, is watching the spent brass in her peripheral go right thru her field of vision.

It got to me to the point where I spent the money on a lefty upper, now it doesn't bother me, lefty upper or righty upper, my minds desensitized to flying brass now.

BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park
    I've never had an issue shooting standard AR's lefty myself, at least with gases or spent casings. What got me, and most likely is stuck in your gf's mind, is watching the spent brass in her peripheral go right thru her field of vision.

It got to me to the point where I spent the money on a lefty upper, now it doesn't bother me, lefty upper or righty upper, my minds desensitized to flying brass now.

i think that is what it is 2

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    First, Lefties Rule. :party29:

Second, I don't own an AR but I've shot a righty AR and I didn't have an issue. The ejector ramp is key. I also have a Mini-14 I shoot lefty and don't have any trouble. (Not to mention pistols are all righty and no trouble there either.)

If it's an issue you can try a brass catcher. They are about $12 and keep the brass from flying in your face or your neighbor's at the range. Leave the bottom unzipped and the casings just fall out. Great for controlling brass when a lefty shoots a righty gun

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    I'm a lefty also. My AR's are all standart right hand issue as are all my rifles/pistols.
    Never a problem useing them.
    I would rather get used to useing a standart rifle should your dedicated lefty model be unavalible.
    It really is a non issue learning to shoot a righthand rifle if not knowing anything different.

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    When I built mine I used a standard lower with an ambi safety and a dpms southpaw upper. The only thing I would change is the ambi safety. While some are marked as "ambi" they really aren't user friendly for right or left handed. While in the fire position the lever contacts the knuckle. I ended up having to take off 3/8" from the lever.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    I am a lefty and always have been.
    I've never had a single issue with a standard AR. Even the charging handle is fine. In many many rounds of shooting I have had one, ONE, casing bounce of of me. Never noticed the "gases".
    Lefties adapt.
    IMHO a left handed build is a waste on money.

:thumbsup:

I would like an ambi safety on mine but that is the only change i really care to make, I have no problem with a right eject when shooting left handed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom