Leather Holster Causing Moisture On Pistol?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ninety9Soulz

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.
    Feb 23, 2013
    I recently got a Galco Miami Classic shoulder holster for wear around the house, and I've noticed that when removing my gun from the holster to put away, there are patches of moisture on the slide.

Does anyone know what causes this, how to avoid it, and if it's something to be concerned with? My only guess is maybe perspiration somehow attributing to it?

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    First thing I would do is heat the leather with a blow dryer and see if the leather sweats. Go from there. I would suggest putting a coat of car wax on the gun metal for protection when using leather holsters.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Spray silicone on the holster where the pistol rides. Soak it and then flip it upside down. Let it drop then throw it in the dryer for a few minutes with the pistol inside.

Ninety9Soulz

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.
    Feb 23, 2013
    Never keep a pistol in a leather holster. Leather absorbs moisture, including from humidity, and will cause rust to form on your pistol.

I've heard of that problem, I try to only keep it in the holster while I carry it, and always remove it when I put it away.

First thing I would do is heat the leather with a blow dryer and see if the leather sweats. Go from there. I would suggest putting a coat of car wax on the gun metal for protection when using leather holsters.

I'll look into that, thanks

I haven't noticed this with my Miami Classic. I will keep my eyes open for it.

Yeah that would be good, please post back if it occurs with yours as well if you remember

Do you sweat heavily?

Don't really know how much people sweat on average, but I do sweat quite a bit if it's humid, I'm thinking this is the cause, though I've searched forums quite a bit and don't see too many people with this problem. I must sweat a lot haha.

Spray silicone on the holster where the pistol rides. Soak it and then flip it upside down. Let it drop then throw it in the dryer for a few minutes with the pistol inside.

:lol2:

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    I was being serious. The silicone provides a barrier against moisture and throwing it in the dryer form fits it to the pistol providing extra retention and bakes in the silicone.

shiloh228

Dec 25, 2012
    Ballmer County
    I was being serious. The silicone provides a barrier against moisture and throwing it in the dryer form fits it to the pistol providing extra retention and bakes in the silicone.
    Most dryers come with a stationary rack that you can put inside the drum to put things on that you don't want to tumble around...like sneakers (and I guess holsters and handguns).

Would strongly suggest that ammo not be part of this technique...drop the mag and clear the chamber :D

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    You just sweat on it. No big deal. The worst to happen is your grip screw will rust. If it isn't a poly gun. Just take the pistol out occasionally when not wearing it.
    No need to perform snake oil answers to something that isn't a problem. Wear a pistol in a 5.11 compassion holster shirt for 16 hours, then you'll see a wet gun.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Do not bake silicone into your leather holster. And since your holster has s thumb snap, you really don't need any more retention.
    But, If you want to form fit a holster, (this is called "boning") just put the pistol in the holster and soak it in hot water until the leather gets supple. Massage the holster to form fit around the gun. Push leather into the nooks and crannies. It won't be highly detailed, but you'll see a resemblance.
    Take gun out. Let dry.
    If your worried about the pistol getting wet, put it in a thin plastic bag first.
    The leather on a Shoulder holster isn't usually as thick as a belt holster, so your results may vary. It may not keep any shape of the pistol or it might take a lot of the shape.
    Don't bake anything into it. Not so much the leather of the holster itself, but you don't want to interfere with the integrity of the stitching thread that holds the thing together.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Leaving a firearm in direct contact with leather is a BAD THING. Not only the moisture issue, but chemicals used in tanning the leather can cause issues.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    A friend of mine left a nickel plated Colt commander in a leather holster for sometime and it was a shame how the slide looked on it when he got it out.

Ninety9Soulz

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.
    Feb 23, 2013
    I contacted Galco themselves and they stated it is just the oil they use on their leather, which will not harm the gun. But obviously stated not to store it in leather for extended periods of time as it does absorb moisture.

Problem solved, I guess just leave this up for anyone else that may run into this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom