• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tyeraxus

Ultimate Member
    May 15, 2012
    East Tennessee
    Thanks everybody. I did some dry-fire practice last night with the "balance a coin" trick, and I'm going to look into an instructor or three. I'm going to have to treat learning to shoot properly as a job to do rather than a hobby to enjoy, I think, and block out time in advance for it rather than my current "shoot when I can" approach.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    When I first start shooting my handgun, I used rather large targets at close range. My "grouping" was all over the place. So I went back, looked at a bunch of youtube videos, read a bunch of articles, etc. My grouping was only slightly better. Then I decided for S&G to move the target back (maybe only another 5 yards). My grouping still wasnt great, but it was a lot better.
    I realized what was happening was that I focusing on the target as opposed to one single spot on the target. By moving it back, it forced me to focus more on a smaller area. This demonstrated the phrase "aim small, miss small." The other thing that helped quite a bit was not completely resetting the trigger.

I eventually went to an instructor and he said I had the fundamentals down. At that point I really only needed more practice (getting rid of flinching, anticipating and building finger strength).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom