• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    NOTE added after the original posting: Let's try to keep the focus of this thread on what works best for us, rather than on opinions about what gear is "junk", etc. We've all seen people swear that certain items were worthless, when they worked fine for many others.

I thought that it might be a good idea to have a thread dedicated to things that we've learned about equipment, so that others may save time and money by not having to learn the hard way.

For example, I use Lee equipment and found the following:
    • Go ahead and buy the breech lock bushings with the built-in locking collars right from the beginning. You'll soon learn that you want your die adjustments to be locked in place.
    • It's really not a bad idea to start with a single-stage press. Even if you want to later move up to a turret or progressive press, you'll still have uses for the single-stage press.
    • Buy carbide dies when they are available. The few extra bucks are more than worth the money.
    • If you think you are going to get into casting your own bullets, spend a few extra dollars and get a production pot.
    • Likewise, if there's an option for a six-cavity mould, instead of one with two cavities, go for that.

Last edited:

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    What I have learned in 35 + years of reloading is, You get exactly what you pay for.
    If you buy cheap reloading equipment it only lasts a few years if you use it regularly. Remember this, A poor man can only afford to buy the very best' Because he can only afford to buy it once. John Browning.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Buy once. Cry once.

Before buying a case trimmer, READ everything you can about the trimmer, how it works, and what others say about it.
    I've used the RCBS trimmer (back in '79), and it was a poor design, on the collet.
    IF the caseheads varied in size, the cases would either be 'right', or 'short', or possibly 'long'.
    That trimmer got trashed. . . . quickly.

I've used Lyman, and the Lyman Drillpress adapter, with good success.
    (Repeatable accuracy.)

Lee "Zip Trim" works VERY well. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I recently decided to give the Little Crow "WFT" (World's Finest Trimmer) a try.
    Wow!!!!!!! I don't know why I waited so long!!!
    The term above is very appropriate! Buy once. Cry once.
    .223/5.56x45 and .308/7.62x51mm trimmers. Incredibly good trimmers.
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    All I've learned in one week of reloading (much of this is from a friend guiding me, mind you. I've loaded 150 .45acp rounds so far haha):

Buy the turret press off the bat. Take the turning rod out and use it like a single stage to start. You can set your dies in place for when you're ready to use the auto turning feature and you still get to do the process slowly to learn.

Get a go/no-go gauge for the finished rounds. This thing works AMAZINGLY. Looks like this:
    ga_rifle.jpg
    . I drop every round in after making new rounds.

Get a good scale. That cheap piece of junk that comes in the lee kit makes me cry. A digital scale cost me a few duckets but it's well worth it.

Reloading is fun. :)

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    agreed cry once buy once, have acquired alot in 35+ years reloading here, even "tried" other things like making .22 cal bullets from .22LR cases, swaging bullets, copper jackets, spools of "lead wire" for the cores, all that good stuff, wildcat rounds, still have it all, you take care of it, it will last for years. And a good set of mics, gauges, didin't have all that "fancy" stuff now already made.

-Rock

OldSchool1959

MDS Supporter
    Feb 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel County
    Subscribed. Thanks for starting this. I just got started reloading with an RCBS Partner, Lee dies for pistol calibers including 9mm, .38 and .45 ACP and a Redding #3BR powder measure. If I like reloading as much as I think I will and if I get good at it I will step up to a progressive like a Hornady LNL AP, Lee or Dillon. Casting boolits interests me especially as I get more into revolver shooting. One request from you experienced guys is a list of links for supplies and information on the subject and let's get it stickied in the reloading sub forum.

Last edited:

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Pay no attention to anyone who tells you anything made by Lee is junk. Have the patience and wherewithal to read and follow the instructions.

I've used the Lee "Auto Prime" since I started reloading, in '79.
    I've NEVER had a problem with it.
    A good friend bought one on my recommendation, and he HATES it (because he didn't take care of it, and broke it, a couple of times!)
    He's also the guy that never cleans his pistols, too.:innocent0

I've also got the Lee "Zip Trim". :thumbsup::thumbsup:Great little trimmer!

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Subscribed. Thanks for starting this. I just got started reloading with an RCBS Partner, Lee dies for pistol calibers including 9mm, .38 and .45 ACP and a Redding #3BR powder measure. If I like reloading as much as I think I will and if I get good at it I will step up to a progressive like a Hornady LNL AP, Lee or Dillon. Casting boolits interests me especially as I get more into revolver shooting. One request from you experienced guys is a list of links for supplies and information on the subject and let's get it stickied in the reloading sub forum.

Here ya go.. this could be a start..
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/

-Rock

Last edited:

bulletmen

Alpha Bravo Mfg
    Jun 6, 2011
    Hanover Pa
    Ditto above. Have used the Lyman drill press adapter for case trimming and it was worth every penny.
    Have not used the Lee zip trim,but it sounds interesting. Might be handy for short runs when I do not want to change the drill press.

Clean your dies before use ! Q tip,alcohol works good.

Single stage to start,it will always be handy.
    Handiest press ever owned is an old CH 3 station H type. Got it used from a fellow who bought it in 1960. Still using it.
    Have used lots of Lee die sets and 6 cav molds.Good deal for the $$. Not too thrilled with the presses tho.

If you go progressive press,the Dillions are good,good customer service.
    The old STAR progressive is the Cadillac IMHO.You have to tinker with them,but once set up and lightly lubed they work well.Downside is a bastard size die set. You can get toolheads for standard 7/8 dies if you shop around.

www.bulletmen.com

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    I found that it takes about 400 hours to load the amount of ammo I want to shoot each year with a single stage press and because of that I have no time to shoot. :D

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    I learned just today that there is Great Truth in the advice about taking your time, thinking about what you're doing, and not trusting yourself to remember exactly where you were and what you need to do next if - beg pardon, when - you are interrupted.

I've needed something like a tiny dustpan twice now to pick up powder spills, I'm going to look for something online.

I'm really, really glad I got a bullet puller, I've used it four times already.

Someone please give me the number for the nearest chapter of Reloaders Anonymous.

OldSchool1959

MDS Supporter
    Feb 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel County
    I learned just today that there is Great Truth in the advice about taking your time, thinking about what you're doing, and not trusting yourself to remember exactly where you were and what you need to do next if - beg pardon, when - you are interrupted.

I've needed something like a tiny dustpan twice now to pick up powder spills, I'm going to look for something online.

Someone please give me the number for the nearest chapter of Reloaders Anonymous.

Truth. I am blessed with a wicked streak of ADD and that is one of the reasons that I started with a single stage. Process for me is essential and I'm learning that multitasking whilst hand loading is not an option. I have settled upon the following regimen:
    Sort, inspect, tumble
    Size & recap
    Hand prime with Lee auto prime (I can do this step with the TV on)
    Flare cases lightly and place them on loading block
    Check & double check loading data and put proper powder into measure
    Throw 10 charges into pan and dump pan into top of measure column
    Tweak micrometer on measure until I am spot on (might take 10 minutes of total attention)
    Throw 10 charges into pan and weigh. Divide by 10. Grin like madman when it equals charge weight.
    Charge each case with random checks for weight. Set charged cases back in block.
    Seat bullets with careful attention to COL using caliper and loading data. Return cases to block.
    Crimp cartridges with factory crimp die. Move cartridges to container with labels describing recipe.
    Right now I can load 50 rounds of .45 ACP over a weekend. :lol2: Seriously, it takes about one hour from primed to finished.

Hi, my name is Steve and I am a reloadaholic. I reload to cope and I reload alone. :o

Atlasarmory

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    NEVER NEVER NEVER drop wet bullets into hot lead. The cold bullet is heavier then the molten lead intern it instantly sinks. The microscopic droplets of water on the bullet instantly flash into steam once submerged causing an eruption of molten lead that will not may or could but will burn the ever loving $hit out of you :D

Mark C

Jul 6, 2008
    I'll suggest starting with a turret press also. I use it as a single stage for rifle cartridges and "normal" mode for handgun cartridges. I feel like it would be harder to double charge a case because the powder die moves after the fill. It also makes it easy to see where you left off when distractions arise. I'm relatively new at this game, my throughout is about 100 9mm/hr using a 4-die setup.

I'm very happy with Redding dies. I like that they are knurled over the entire die, especially good for setting the crimp. Happy, but not quite as much, with the Redding 3BR powder measure.

The WTF trimmer is alluring, I think I'll try one in .223 Remington. But for smaller quantities and absolute accuracy, I use the Sinclair Stainless Ultimate Trimmer

http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=39292/Product/Sinclair-Stainless-Ultimate-Trimmer

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head

When I go out to the garage to do my reloading I do it in the evenings, when I am by myself, no one is around. I entertain no company while reloading. I put myself in a quiet zone and I put 100% concentration in to what I am doing. Reloading while chatting with a buddy is not a safe practice. I tell everyone I am going out to reload and do not disturb.

The next thing is, certainly take your time. Do not try to beat a Fasted reloading time for 100 rounds. It's not a race and there's no timed competitors beside you.

Mark C

Jul 6, 2008
    For those of you looking at the WFT trimmer, look at the possum hollow trimmer also. Same concept, significantly cheaper.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Pay no attention to anyone who tells you anything made by Lee is junk. Have the patience and wherewithal to read and follow the instructions.
    :thumbsup:
    I have to agree with this. I have some Dillon and RCBS gear, but my most of what I use is Lee. If I were doing high-volume reloading on a regular basis, I might go with something else, but I'm not even sure about that. There's a good reason why Lee has been around a long time!

Even the Lee powder scale, while a bit more complicated than a "drop and read" digital scale, is accurate and easy to use when you get used to it. Study all instructions for all reloading gear ... multiple times ... before you try to use it.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    I started with the Lee single stage kit for loading .45LC. That's all i'm loading and I have no real reson to change the press.

I have gotten a larger chamfer tool and a larger primer pocket cleaner. BOth are nicer to use.

I played with the Lee scale and I bought a small digital scale. But what I am using is a Dillon scale I picked up off Gunbroker. The Dillon is solid.

Read the book. Watch the youtube videos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom