• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gundahar

Sep 4, 2011
    No, not me. I lost track since my GP100 and my LCR share an ammo pool, but its nowhere near that high.

I found this thread on the internet about a guy in AZ who has made it to 4K rounds out of his LCR, which I find amazing.

http://thedesertsedge.wordpress.com/2014/05/30/ruger-lcr-357-long-term-review/

So I poked around his website a little bit, and was really impressed. There aren't a lot of articles there, but he clearly tells and shows (with video) how he came to pick his choice for carry, why, what holsters he has gone through, why, and how he trains. (Point shooting at very close range while he is also moving--very appropriate for his weapon of choice).

His 2500 round review was probably had the most important information.

http://thedesertsedge.wordpress.com/2013/08/06/ruger-lcr-357-2500-rounds-and-counting-a-long-term-review/#more-24

So if you are planning to go to DC to exercise some carry rights, here is some light reading for you :lol:

Gundahar

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Rugers Are Tough

Skeeter Skelton said he knew of three Ruger Security-Six revolvers that had each fired in excess of 30,000 full throttle magnum rounds. One, he reported, was slightly out of time, but all three, he said, were still in good shootable condition. Since then, I've heard of these guns shooting many more rounds than 30,000 and one unsubstantiated report has a Security-Six at a public range (a rental gun) shooting more than a million, many of them .38s. And NRA tech writer Ed (C.E.) Harris wrote back in 1979, I think, that he had worn out a Smith & Wesson 19 (.357) in just over 2,000 hot magnum rounds. He had the gun retimed and shot another 2,000 rounds. After that, he said, frame stretch had rendered the gun pretty much irreparable. So he retired it and adopted a 4-inch stainless steel Ruger Security-Six with rounded grips. He inspired me to round my own Security-Six grips on both a 4-inch and 2.75-inch. It was a great move, but I wouldn't recommend doing it on a 6-inch as it would affect the balance.

I like the Security-Six much better than the newer GP-100s, which I think are boat anchors. The balance is, to me, all wrong, and my favorite .357 now is the Smith 686. I had a 4-inch 686 first generation and, being a low-grade idiot at times, I sold it thinking I could always get another one. I have a 6-inch though, and I've never fired it.

Anyway, Ruger makes very strong guns -- sometimes too strong. And it's a shame that Ruger beefed up a gun that didn't need it. But it doesn't surprise me that the LCR .357 has gone through 4,000 rounds. I suspect it will still be chugging away at 8,000 rounds and even more -- much more. I had one of those guns, but it was defective and Ruger could neither repair it or replace it. So they replaced it with an SP-101, which is a great gun. But it's not an LCR.

i

The Security-Six has a solid-frame design that keeps it going long
    past the competition.

Ruger's LCRs, .357 (top) and .38Spc. Both are tough little pistols. :thumbsup:

Gundahar

Sep 4, 2011
    Haha, I wasn't impressed the gun did 4000 rounds. I was impressed with the shooter for doing it! I'd wager that not many J-Frame carriers get that many rounds in, ever.

Gundahar

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Haha, I wasn't impressed the gun did 4000 rounds. I was impressed with the shooter for doing it! I'd wager that not many J-Frame carriers get that many rounds in, ever.

Gundahar

Yay! 4,000 rounds of revolver shooting fun! Said nobody ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom