• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Froze my arse off last evening, saw some does, but not close enough for a shot. They have pretty much the same patterns now as during the regular/later part of gun season. Debating whether to head out this morning or just sit home and get the fire burning, since I just got my BGE bill for the month... I really need another deer in the freezer and it's tough to bowhunt in this sub-freezing spell... decisions, decisions.. :lol2:

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Nope, after freezing my butt off last night, waking up early with the intention to go out today, but realizing the heat pump was working overtime, I decided to cook up a hot breakfast and stoke the fire for a while. Would really like to put another deer in the freezer before bowseason ends, but this morning just wasn't the time. May head out for a banker's hunt later this morning til mid afternoon.. we'll see... lol

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I haven't seen any deer when it's been 80, 70, 60, 50, 40 and 30 degrees.

I'm sure as hell not going to try and find them when it's 10 degrees outside.

My chest freezer will have to be content the way it is.

May we all have better luck next year.

Amen to that!

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Ok anyone else dumb enough to be out here this frigid morning?

Yep, my dumb ass was out there until 8:37. I looked at the temp and it said it was 14 degrees and then I asked myself why I didn't sleep in.

I only heard 1 shot and it was waaaay off in the distance.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    Slept in till around 8 when the kids got me up. Then I made pancakes with sausage and eat it next to the pellet stove drinking a hot cup of tea.

gc27

Aug 5, 2014
    Calvert County
    Didn't see any deer today but my son did stumble upon the red fox that I believe has been getting to our ducks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      92.2 KB · Views: 135

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I haven't seen any deer when it's been 80, 70, 60, 50, 40 and 30 degrees.

I'm sure as hell not going to try and find them when it's 10 degrees outside.

My chest freezer will have to be content the way it is.

May we all have better luck next year.

You don't hunt when it is 80, 70, 60, 50, 40, or 30 degrees.

All hunters know to go out when it is 79, 69, 59, 49, 39 or 29 degrees. Conditions must be optimal for the hunt. lol

The only way I would have been out hunting deer today is in a ground blind shielded by the wind, and I mean shielded, with foot warmers in my pac boots, hand warmers in my gloves, a heat pad around my back, and a propane heater in the ground blind. Optimal conditions for today would have been shooting deer out of a barn with a wood stove in the barn. A guy I used to hunt with in Loudon County would shoot deer in his backyard off of his deck. Now that is the way to hunt. Watch the football game while glancing out in the CRP in the backyard to see if there are any deer out there. He had cut lanes through the CRP just so he could catch the deer in them while he was in the living room.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    This is the first year I've thrown my hands up due to temperatures being in the teens. Odd numbered teens of course.

Staring at fields that haven't even produced deer sightings in months coupled with a severe case of shrinkage ain't gunna happen.

If we get a break in temps, I will toss out some corn and hit the woods with the crossbow.

And there ain't nuth'in better than a propane heater in a semi enclosed tree stand.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Ha ha, I think someone left their stand to go watch the Ravens and made my hunt today last about 15 mins LOL. I got out a little late and wasn't set up on stand until 4:08, and about 4:20-4:25 3 does come busting up from the direction of the one neighbor's stands and stopped about 60-75 yards away giving me clear shots. 1 looked right at me and I froze, then she ran up the hill and disappeared. The other 2 stood there with 1 giving me a great shot so I took it. She went maybe 50 yards and piled up, and the 3rd deer stopped running and started coming back to the downed deer, then just stood there staring at her, giving me another shot, but the gun was all jammed. I cleared it and tried again, just wouldn't feed. Just as well, the one doe is big and was enough of a chore to drag out. The other deer finally realized something was bad and took off. I was lucky the deer I shot was dead, if not I'd have had to use a knife to finish her. Nice double lung slight quartering shot. The exit is what's in the pic, entry is in the shoulder area. It was nice having daylight to gut by, and snow to help make the drag MUCH easier.

I made sure to get a pic with me wearing my red fox hat, which I was wearing when I took all 3 of my deer this season, and the fox the other day.

Attachments

• deer311015doefeildshot.jpg
      deer311015doefeildshot.jpg
      132.1 KB · Views: 121
    • deer311015doewithsteph.jpg
      deer311015doewithsteph.jpg
      68.2 KB · Views: 120

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Way to go FT! Congrats on a great season!! Went out late morning, waited for the geese to fly and they didn't, so I picked up my muzzleloader and walked about a bit, pushed up one small 4pt, but I don't shoot little bucks, so I let him walk off.. looks like bow from here on out. At least I got to warm up while still hunting after freezin again this morning.. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom