• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I have room for one more gun in the cabinet.

I already have 3 ARs. 2 Ruger 10/22s, a Kel Tec Sub 2000, S&W 15-22, a savage bolt .22 for the kiddos, and a shotgun cause Uncle Joe B says I need one. (not really its my duck gun, quack)

So I saw a really nice AK 74 (ARAK Plum) with a nice case. I will lose the mag so right away I am out 30 bucks, but still will come to about 860 when all is said and done. I will need to wait 8 days and get charged 30 days until next possible purchase.

OR I can get the cz58 for 1000+ shipping, transfer it to PA, get both 30 rd mags, and not have to worry or wait. Then get something later right before the cut off.

My concern is this. It FEELS like the CZs are getting harder to come by. I don't want to miss out on one. I know they will still not be regulated after Oct. (at least I think....)

But damn. The AK is 200 bucks less, with nice case included and ammo that is way way cheap.

I am on the fence. Someone PLEASE push me one way or another. With good reason and logic of course! :rolleyes:

longgunnewb

Textbook Libertarian
    Feb 23, 2013
    Indianapolis
    You've already answered your own question. Will you be able to buy an AK after Oct 1st? Will you be able to buy a CZ later on even if you have to pay a little more? Question answered.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    vz58 is a great toy (I have a czechpoint one). But not banned. They are $600 for the Century version ("vz-2008") right now from centerfire systems. $1k is high unless is a czechpoint.

I'd go w/ the AK due to the impending ban.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I was actually looking at the Czechpoint.

Looks like I will be going with the AK 74 then. I was leaning that way, and with the money I save I can buy a crapload of ammo!

dspurlock

Mar 31, 2013
    ARAK Plum gets my vote versus the cz58. Of course personally I would go with a Chinese 47 model if I was going the AK route. The ARAK Plum 74 model does look nice though.

fleaman64

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2011

I already have 3 ARs. 2 Ruger 10/22s, a Kel Tec Sub 2000, S&W 15-22, a savage bolt .22 for the kiddos, and a shotgun cause Uncle Joe B says I need one. (not really its my duck gun, quack)

So I saw a really nice AK 74 (ARAK Plum) with a nice case. I will lose the mag so right away I am out 30 bucks, but still will come to about 860 when all is said and done. I will need to wait 8 days and get charged 30 days until next possible purchase.

OR I can get the cz58 for 1000+ shipping, transfer it to PA, get both 30 rd mags, and not have to worry or wait. Then get something later right before the cut off.

My concern is this. It FEELS like the CZs are getting harder to come by. I don't want to miss out on one. I know they will still not be regulated after Oct. (at least I think....)

But damn. The AK is 200 bucks less, with nice case included and ammo that is way way cheap.

I am on the fence. Someone PLEASE push me one way or another. With good reason and logic of course! :rolleyes:

VEPR in 7.62x54R. Surplus ammo is still cheap and plentiful for basically a 30-06 semi auto. Check Centerfire Systems. You will have to change the furniture though.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    First of all, if I were going to get a Vz58, I think it would be in 5.56x45 and use the AR-15 magazine adapter. I'm not a huge fan of trying to deal with the Vz58's proprietary mags - they work fine, but they're not as easy to find as AK or AR mags. But, as others have noted, the Vz58 option is going to be around post-10/1, so no point pursuing it right now.

VEPR in 7.62x54R. Surplus ammo is still cheap and plentiful for basically a 30-06 semi auto. Check Centerfire Systems. You will have to change the furniture though.
    I was shooting mine a couple days ago. It's one heck of a gun after you convert it, and the ammo is way, way cheaper than .308 (especially if you wait for a sale by SG). Downside is that milsurp is not terribly accurate, and neither is the AK action. Also on the heavy side compared to modern .308s. I saw that CFS is selling these for $730 now, which is actually a pretty damned good deal. I don't even want to say how much I paid for mine (albeit I expect it to be a decent investment in the long term).

That said, I'd still recommend an AK-47 or even AK-74 as a first AK. The -47 is fun in terms of being an easy-shooting .30 cal rifle, but the -74 is the superior gun. You won't go wrong with either. Don't worry about the 5.45x39 surplus drying up, either... worst case scenario is that you're shooting commercial, which is generally the same price or cheaper than 5.56x45 (right now, WAY cheaper).

If you can find a Golani that's been worked over by TennGalil and is known reliable, that's also a good option in 5.56x45 if it's for the right price.

Last edited:

ews25

Apr 21, 2013
    People's Republic of PG

If you opt for an AK, I have a sporterized MAK-90 I'd sell at a reasonable price. Looking to streamline my rifle ammo requirements down to 5.56 and 7.62x51. PM if interested.

GoGoGadget

Deplorable Member
    Mar 10, 2011
    A.A.Co. and Carteret Co. NC
    If you get a 47 instead of a 74, you can later buy a VZ58 and both will use the same ammo. Something to consider.

I have AKs and a VZ58 and love both equally. That said, if I could only choose one, It would be an AK just for the iconic status.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    If you get a 47 instead of a 74, you can later buy a VZ58 and both will use the same ammo. Something to consider.

Or: if you buy the 74 now and the vz58 later they will use different ammo. Something to consider.:)

Im a fan of multiple calibers within limits. Can usually find a deal on something so you can keep shooting. Its fun to diversify. Like an AR10 goes great w/ AR15s! 45 goes great w/ 9mm!

SevernBob

It's All Boogered Up
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 17, 2012
    Severn
    Or: if you buy the 74 now and the vz58 later they will use different ammo. Something to consider.:)

Im a fan of multiple calibers within limits. Can usually find a deal on something so you can keep shooting. Its fun to diversify. Like an AR10 goes great w/ AR15s! 45 goes great w/ 9mm!

Yyyuup. I got the Arsenal SLR106 first to match up with all my AR ammo. (Excellent rifle, by the way.) Then, got into SKSs and bought a bunch of ammo for those anyway, so I went ahead and got an AK47 as another eater. In the middle, you guys got me interested in Mosins, so I had to buy a bunch of that ammo. What's the point of this story? Don't ask me for advice. I'm a bad influence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom