• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Merlin593

Mar 29, 2013
    Towson, MD
    Just curious what others have done to identify completed 80% lowers since there is no serial number in which to ID it if ever stolen.
    Are you using your initials, name, DOB, etc.? Also where is the most popular spot to engrave the lower? Magwell? Somewhere else?
    Any suggestions are appreciated and pics too if you want to share.
    Thanks in advance!
    Best,
    Jim

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    If you are marking it, why not put a S/N on it? You do not have to "register" said number, but you have it if you ever want to sell it or, like you said, it is stolen.

Sewer Rat

Ultimate Member
    Was thinking about this the other day... using initials plus meaningful numbers... help to identify should the firearm get into the laws hands. Oldest had his ar confiscated after his (now ex)girlfriend got whacky at their hotel... we got it back, but only because I had the owners manual with the serial numbers; otherwise could not prove ownership.

Also proved that the LEOs did not fully comprehend the laws, as they were not sure if they should confiscate, he was a legal resident of FL, firearm was hbar and had 10 rnd mags as well as locked..... he agreed to them taking it to show his innocence, figuring since I previously owned it I could regain custody... It was a PITA but we got it back...

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    I have a computer controlled engraver at work so have done a little of this.

There is an ATF doc somewhere that goes into what the markings are supposed to be. IIRC it allows abbreviations.

So what I do it my initials, an abbreviation of town and state, caliber, and s/n (assigned by me).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom