• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BuRNMIA

May 28, 2013
    So I am thinking about picking up a KSG this week but wanted some feedback from the community here. I was wondering what experience any members have with this shotgun? My interest in this gun is its design and it will be used as a range gun not for HD. Part of me thinks it may be an investment as well...
    Thanks for the feedback!

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Consensus around here seems to be that they just don't function all that reliably and are at best an expensive range toy. Really neat gun. I'd love to have one but KelTec's QC on them just seems to be lacking.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    If you want something that kicks like a mule go for it. an't imagine any use for one other than HD.

chevellenut71

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    Cape Saint Clare / Annapolis
    A lot of haters here but mine runs great. Now I have one of the newer ones not the first ones to come out. Also it takes some getting used to. You have to rack that thing like a man and not short stoke it:lol2:... When I first got it I was having problems with that:innocent0 but after few 100 rounds it runs great..

Absolute

Jan 10, 2013
    Howard County, MD
    I had thought the KSG would be a nice addition to my collection. Then I had the opportunity to fire one, after 4 or 5 shots with the thing I was more than ready to hand it back. Kicks like a mule!

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I wanted one when I saw it in person and in some videos. Then I started reading MDS and apparently almost no one likes it :shrug:

Enfield303

Feb 12, 2011
    Harford County
    Yes to KSG

I purchased one about 18 months ago and have put about 500 rounds through it without a problem. It doesn't function perfectly with Agulia mini-shells but it wasn't designed to either. No problems with 2 3/4" shells or the two 3" shells I tried just to see how painful they would be. I used mine for deer hunting last year, short and easy to carry in the woods. With open sights it will put three Remington sluggers in 4" at 50 yards which is good enough for anything I am going to use it for. I am planning on using it this fall during the snow goose conservation season when unplugged guns are allowed. It kicks about as much as an 870 with an 18" barrel. Its also easy to maintain, sort of like an AR with no wood to scratch or blued steel to rust.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I purchased one about 18 months ago and have put about 500 rounds through it without a problem. It doesn't function perfectly with Agulia mini-shells but it wasn't designed to either. No problems with 2 3/4" shells or the two 3" shells I tried just to see how painful they would be. I used mine for deer hunting last year, short and easy to carry in the woods. With open sights it will put three Remington sluggers in 4" at 50 yards which is good enough for anything I am going to use it for. I am planning on using it this fall during the snow goose conservation season when unplugged guns are allowed. It kicks about as much as an 870 with an 18" barrel. Its also easy to maintain, sort of like an AR with no wood to scratch or blued steel to rust.

Have you had the gun apart? If so what percentage of the internal parts are plastic? I have a good guess but would like to hear first hand

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    You're holding out for my Saiga aren't you?

oh_yes_david_tennant.gif

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

I will be interested in hearing how that goes. Not that I would ever use it to hunt snow geese during the conservation season, but it will be interesting to hear how it feels after firing 5+ non-toxic magnum loads out of it at a time and how much recoil fatigue you have by the end of the day. I used to get headaches the day after hunting geese with my SBE, and I finally figured out why. Wasn't even shooting that much to kill my 5 bird limit, but it was apparently enough recoil to give me a headache the next day. Added a mercury recoil reducer to the gun and my problems were solved. Then again, I shoot 3.5" out of the SBE for geese. Don't think the KSG is made to handle those shells, but 3" should still be plenty of recoil.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I wanted a KSG until i saw one in person. To me, they just feel cheap and poorly constructed.

Last edited:

Tito

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 4, 2013
    Baltimore County
    The so so feedback for the price scared me. Have you considered the Remington 870 Bullpup Conversion? Decrease price and the 870 is reliable. Plus, it is MD legal.

18.5 barrel

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Home defense I would stick with tried and true (e.g., 870, 590 etc.)

Though the KSG handles very well, like mine. Worth the price they are bringing on today's market $750 +/-

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    The so so feedback for the price scared me. Have you considered the Remington 870 Bullpup Conversion? Decrease price and the 870 is reliable. Plus, it is MD legal.

18.5 barrel

Never saw one of those before. Is it a kit that will fit any 870? If so, where are they available?

shooter682

Jun 2, 2013
    Lexington Park MD
    I have had a KSG for just over 2 years, the components are all metal except for the chamber selector switch which on gen 4 have been upgraded to metal. The UTAS is mostly plastic. The major thing to remember is not to short cycle it. out of 20 aquila short shells I had one miss feed due to the shell rotating during pick up. I have never used shot out of it due to restrictions at the range slugs only. I would recommend a HI Tech extended lower Rail prior to using a fore grip.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Mam, the price of these has dropped like crazy. Make me wonder if keltec has lowered the wholesale price or if dealers have adjuster their markup to normal levels.
    A year ago $1k was a good deal. Now I'm seeing them around s 750 regularly...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom