• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ThePhantomPatriot

Politically Incorrect
    One of my buddies has an American Krag .30-40 but can't seem to find ammo for it. He is going to purchase the components to load it himself, since it is ample, but I was wondering if anyone knows of any factory loaded ammo that is for sale. I checked a few sites but they were all out.

Thanks

Mossyoak

Never enough
    Jan 5, 2009
    Ceciltucky
    I'm in the same boat, haven't been able to find any anywhere for more than a year. I guess all manufactures have backburnnered this round due to greater demand for others.

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    I've been looking for over a year, have had some backordered for that long from Sportsman's Guide, but they keep extending the backorder.

I did find a few days ago an article on the web that mentioned a hand-loader from Reno that might have some to sell. Robert Riddervold, Metallic Cartridges Specialties, PO Box 60177, Reno, NV 89506, 775-232-8034.

Have not yet written or called so do not know if that will work, but it's what I've got.

If you find something better I'd love to hear about it!

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    My father has a 30-40 Krag that will be mine... one day... hopefully... Not too soon though...

I am always on the look out for ammo or brass. I have dies to reload...

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    This thread got me looking...
    Midway has brass for < $.50 per round if you buy in any sort of bulk or volumue (like 100+).
    Might go that way.
    Start loading the old man up some ammo for Father's Day.
    (If I start now I may get it done ;) )

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    This thread got me looking...
    Midway has brass for < $.50 per round if you buy in any sort of bulk or volumue (like 100+).
    Might go that way.
    Start loading the old man up some ammo for Father's Day.
    (If I start now I may get it done ;) )

Wow, when I was looking for this brass earlier Midway didn't even have it listed.

c&rdaze

Oct 2, 2007
    Southern MD
    I'm sort of in the opposite boat. I have a few rounds of ammo but no rifle. My father bought a 'bubba' special Enfield No.4, and got some ammo with it. After he pass away, my brother was trying to shoot the rifle but could not get it to load properly. As I have a little experience with firearms, he asked me to look at the rifle to see what was wrong. Well, about half the ammo was .303, a bunch was .30-06 soft-point and some I couldn't ID. After asking around, it turns out that its .30-40 Krag.

A Krag is on my list of wants, so I have ammo when I get there (not enough, but some). :thumbsup: This is a first time i have ammo for a rifle that I don't yet own but I have brought bayonets before I owned the rifle on occassion. :innocent0

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    A Krag is on my list of wants, so I have ammo when I get there (not enough, but some). :thumbsup: This is a first time i have ammo for a rifle that I don't yet own

You might want to keep that to yourself so you don't have midnight callers. :)

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    calling all Kraghounds -- here's an ammo update:

"It is now clear we will not be producing this round until mid-to-late 2011.

The difficulty is brass cases, and the fact the United States has almost no production capacity left. Both Winchester and Remington made no .30-40 brass in 2009. It does appear Remington released some to suppliers in January 2010, but, as you know, this ammunition has been "seasonal" for years. We cannot produce without a solid supply chain.

At the SHOT show in January, we did secure an agreement, in principal, to have our own .30-40 Krag brass manufactured. It will be head-stamped “KRGHS .30-ARMY”. (".30-Army" is one of many names by which the .30-40 Krag caliber has been known, and we like its traditional flavor.) We intend that it will be of the highest quality, both in terms of the brass used and dimensions and tolerances (no "shortcuts"). This will not be a “seasonal” offering; we plan to have it available all year round. Unfortunately, we cannot get "machine time" until 2011.

When we get the brass, we will use the brass in the manufacture of our own ammunition, and we will also make it available to our customers who reload. Price is not yet known, but it will be competitive .

The federal manufacturers license necessary to make this ammunition requires, among other things, that the address of the licensee be zoned (under local zoning codes) for manufacturing. We are in Pittsburgh, and Pittsburgh passed a special zoning law a year ago designed to prevent any "firearms related business" that does not already exist from operating in Pittsburgh. The only places one can have a "firearms related business" are in industrial zones, where one might make asphalt or slaughter hogs. ( "Firearms related business" is defined to include anything that has anything to do with firearms or ammunition, regardless whether there are actually firearms or ammunition on the premises - even paperwork having to do with transfers that occur elsewhere in the country.) This is a major snag, and will require us to move in order to get our federal license for this project. If we're going to move, we're going to move out of Pittsburgh.

As you can see, the matter has become very complex. I fear the .30-40 cartridge will soon be regarded as "obsolete," and people will start destroying or discarding the rifles.

We plan to keep you apprised by sending you more of these e-mail messages, but only as news develops. (In the event you do not want to receive this information, just reply to this message and we will take you off the notification list.)

Watch the web site, www.kraghaus.com

In other news, once we have our brass situation squared away, we intend to make four new loads, in addition to our current 150 gr. btsp. One will be the 150 grain load with a magnum primer, for short-barreled rifles. One will use a 190 grain boat-tail bullet. One will use a 200 grain flat-based, round-nosed bullet. One will be in .310 caliber, using a 127 grain, flat-based bullet.

The .310 load is for rifles which are over-bore. As you may know, many Krag rifles came from the factory with bores ranging from .309 to .312. In rifles with bores significantly larger than .308, jacketed boat-tail bullets do not give very good accuracy. The .310 load will be intended for use only in rifles which have been “slugged” by a gunsmith, and shown to be of at least .310 in actual bore diameter.

That is the news we have at present. Contact me if you have any questions.

Peter Georgiades
    President,
    Pennsylvania Firearms Development Corporation
    (Makers of Kraghaüs brand scope rails for U.S. Krag rifles)"

RT468

Feb 19, 2009
    Catonsville Md
    Redding's Hardware & Sporting Goods had some ammo about two weeks ago.Went in to check the place out while in Gettysburg,had a decent selection of guns.Asked about Garands or M1As'.Said no to the Garand,about seven different M1As or a Krag.Said they had 30-40 ammo to go with it and had it for some time.Didn't ask quantity or price,owned one and hated looking for ammo.Have heard varied opinions of this place,what I know is it was busy,staff seemed decent,pretty fair selection of long guns and pistols.Prices on items I looked at didn't seem too far out of line.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    As you can see, the matter has become very complex. I fear the .30-40 cartridge will soon be regarded as "obsolete," and people will start destroying or discarding the rifles.

Yeah, I don't think that's going to happen. CMP is now selling new barrels.

I would think that if Remington and Winchester stop manufacture of the round all together, then Grafs would get a European source like many other rounds.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    I reload for mine, actually I reload for all my milsurps. Really is the only way for some of these calibers. By the way the Krag's really like the heavy long bullets like the Hornady 220 grain round nose. They were designed for this style of bullet.
    P3220114.jpg

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I reload for mine, actually I reload for all my milsurps. Really is the only way for some of these calibers. By the way the Krag's really like the heavy long bullets like the Hornady 220 grain round nose. They were designed for this style of bullet.
    P3220114.jpg

Unfortunately the brass is scarce also, although like the article "quoted" above some did come on the market briefly. It is again, as the article says, seasonal, like many older American calibers so it in all likelihood got put behind everything else in the great ammo shortage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom