• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    How about helping MSI and other organization man tables and booths at public events like fairs and community days?

The gun show circuit is tapped out, we keep seeing the same folks at every show. MSI would like to expand into the general public. We have had very good success with those public events we have done (Towson, Beltsville, Bowie, etc.).

We have several shows coming up in College Park and Burtonsville on the same day. We need volunteers to help man the booths.

No experience is needed, we will train you on the job.

Until we reach out to the public at large on a larger scale, we have little chance of changing their minds.

My question was for the poster who questioned the NRA's response to the question about their lack of participation.. I know what we need to do. I have made myself available in the past to man MSI booths.

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    My question was for the poster who questioned the NRA's response to the question about their lack of participation.. I know what we need to do. I have made myself available in the past to man MSI booths.

You were probably referring to me. I don't think there is much you can do to change the mindset. Even if you change 10% which is a large number, you won't get there.

The best thing is to continue with the facts. People that live in more free states have less crime. More free cities, have less crime. etc. This is a constitutional issue, not a popularity contest.

Many of these people are so far left, you probably wouldn't want them on your side.

I probably should have been more clear. Extra dollars are going to the winners. All others (Pro 2A Groups) will still get funded, just not as much.

Last edited:

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

My answer was in general and not specific to you. ;)

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    You were probably referring to me. I don't think there is much you can do to change the mindset. Even if you change 10% which is a large number, you won't get there.

The best thing is to continue with the facts. People that live in more free states have less crime. More free cities, have less crime. etc. This is a constitutional issue, not a popularity contest.

Many of these people are so far left, you probably wouldn't want them on your side.

I probably should have been more clear. Extra dollars are going to thw winners. All others (Pro 2A Groups) will still get funded, just not as much.

If this is how you feel, perhaps you should volunteer for the MSI booth at either College Park or Burtonsville on Sept 27th. Come out and see what the rest of the state has to say or think. I'll bet you would be surprised at the response, and the number of people that ask questions, which provides us the opportunity to provide them the facts and educate them.

As I said, the gun shows are tapped, out, MSI will be looking to move to more public events, and we will need everyone's help (even yours) to make it happen.

This isn't a 90 day fight when the legislature is in session, this is a 365 day a year fight and once we are done with the 90 days to talk to the suites in Annapolis, that gives us 275 days to talk to their constituents, and get as many on board.

Writing, calling and faxing your legislators and showing up in Annapolis, only put us in front of them for 90 days and then they think we go away. And for the most part we do (in the public eye). Showing up for the lawsuits (thank you by the way) has the same affect, once the hearing is over, they forget about us.

We need to start to be in their faces, on their radar for the entire year.

Once we do that, and they realize we aren't going away, then they will start to take us even more seriously and the public will take notice.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    All committed gun people should be spreading the word and converting the uncommitted all year long. There are over 20,000 members of MDS, how many converts do you have in the last 12 months? Two converts per member would be 40,000 new supporters; One convert every two months would be 120,00; one a month equals almost a quarter million new supporters per year. I'm at seven and working on some others.

Don't waste your time on the rabid anti-gunners, you won't win. Instead seek out your neighbor who was in the military 20 or 40 years ago and hasn't shot a gun since, take him and his wife to the range for a fun shoot starting with .22's or other low recoil arms. Look around work for the cube dweller who used to shoot some but stopped when the kids came and never restarted when they were older. Find the people at church who are curious about guns and who would like to know more. Locate some active junior programs in your local area and pass the information along to the parents of appropriate aged kids emphasizing they will learn proper gun safety.

The battle for the hearts and minds is one one at a time. Are you doing your part?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    All committed gun people should be spreading the word and converting the uncommitted all year long. There are over 20,000 members of MDS, how many converts do you have in the last 12 months? Two converts per member would be 40,000 new supporters; One convert every two months would be 120,00; one a month equals almost a quarter million new supporters per year. I'm at seven and working on some others.

Don't waste your time on the rabid anti-gunners, you won't win. Instead seek out your neighbor who was in the military 20 or 40 years ago and hasn't shot a gun since, take him and his wife to the range for a fun shoot starting with .22's or other low recoil arms. Look around work for the cube dweller who used to shoot some but stopped when the kids came and never restarted when they were older. Find the people at church who are curious about guns and who would like to know more. Locate some active junior programs in your local area and pass the information along to the parents of appropriate aged kids emphasizing they will learn proper gun safety.

The battle for the hearts and minds is one one at a time. Are you doing your part?

I managed one "newbie" per month (Patrick made me do it) last year. This year I ma behind and only have 5 so far this year, working on keeping the one/month average for this year.

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I figured I would answer.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Good work dblas. My personal target is one a month but I'll settle for half that, at least I am doing something.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    I know this judge missed the references in Heller and US vs Miller (1939)

http://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecourt/text/307/174

n indictment in the District Court, Western District Arkansas, charged that Jack Miller and Frank Layton

did unlawfully, knowingly, willfully, and feloniously transport in interstate commerce from the town of Claremore in the State of Oklahoma to the town of Siloam Springs in the State of Arkansas a certain firearm, to-wit, a double barrel 12-gauge Stevens shotgun having a barrel less than 18 inches in length, bearing identification number 76230, said defendants, at the time of so transporting said firearm in interstate commerce as aforesaid, not having registered said firearm as required by Section 1132d of Title 26, United States Code (Act of June 26, 1934, c. 737, Sec. 4 [§ 5], 48 Stat. 1237), and not having in their possession a stamp-affixed written order for said firearm as provided by Section 1132c, Title 2, United States Code (June 26, 1934, c. 737, Sec. 4, 48 Stat. 1237) and the regulations issued under authority of the said Act of Congress known as the "National Firearms Act," approved June 26, 1934, contrary to the form of the statute in such case made and provided, and against the peace and dignity of the United Stat

The Constitution, as originally adopted, granted to the Congress power --

To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions; To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in the Service of the United States,

With obvious purpose to assure the continuation and render possible the effectiveness of such forces, the declaration and guarantee of the Second Amendment were made. It must be interpreted and applied with that end in view.

The signification attributed to the term Militia appears from the debates in the Convention, the history and legislation of Colonies and States, and the writings of approved commentators. These show plainly enough that the Militia comprised all males physically capable of acting in concert for the common defense. "A body of citizens enrolled for military discipline." And further, that ordinarily, when called for service these men were expected to appear bearing arms supplied by themselves and of the kind in common use at the time.

The possession of arms also implied the possession of ammunition, and the authorities paid quite as much attention to the latter as to the former.

A year later [1632] it was ordered that any single man who had not furnished himself with arms might be put out to service, and this became a permanent part of the legislation of the colony [Massachusetts].

Clauses intended to insure the possession of arms and ammunition by all who were subject to military service appear in all the important enactments concerning military affairs. Fines were the penalty for delinquency, whether of towns or individuals. According to the usage of the times, the infantry of Massachusetts consisted of pikemen and musketeers

I rest my case!!

Mr H

Banana'd
    I'm not gonna use the good tinfoil here, but this just popped into my head.

What are the chances she knows the state has no way to win this, but she is still a believer and wants to drag this out as long as possible.

Also, what if she doesn't want to be the one whose neck this is hung around (for future possibilities?) and sends it up for "them" to decide?

Would this be a possible thing? And, if so, would it constitute judicial malfeasance of some sort??

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    I know this judge missed the references in Heller and US vs Miller (1939)

I rest my case!!

The judge did not miss the references. She ruled that they were not useful. The plaintiffs only asked for a ruling on the core right of self defense in the Second Amendment and she made sure that would be the only part she would rule on. If she had to include all of the lawful purposes she would have to rule the law unconstitutional.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I'm not gonna use the good tinfoil here, but this just popped into my head.

What are the chances she knows the state has no way to win this, but she is still a believer and wants to drag this out as long as possible.

Also, what if she doesn't want to be the one whose neck this is hung around (for future possibilities?) and sends it up for "them" to decide?

Would this be a possible thing? And, if so, would it constitute judicial malfeasance of some sort??

100% chance she knows it's a loser, but wants to abuse her power for the "better good". There is no way in good conscience that you can arrive at the decision she did without having an agenda to ban guns.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    100% chance she knows it's a loser, but wants to abuse her power for the "better good". There is no way in good conscience that you can arrive at the decision she did without having an agenda to ban guns.

Or is unwilling to risk premature career suicide should she wish to cash in and make real money by retiring as a judge and getting a ' job' elsewhere. Politics nothing more...

CrueChief

Cocker Dad/RIP Bella
    Apr 3, 2009
    Napolis-ish
    I know judges don't answer to anyone after they are appointed for life, but it would seem that there should be some mechanism that would not allow judges to just make rulings from their own biases instead of from solid legal foundations. :shrug:

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    I know judges don't answer to anyone after they are appointed for life, but it would seem that there should be some mechanism that would not allow judges to just make rulings from their own biases instead of from solid legal foundations. :shrug:

There are mechanisms in place to deal with this situation. One is the appeals process, which can overrule and set aside decisions which lack a legal basis. A second is the electoral process, where we have a chance to choose officials who won't appoint asshat judges in the first place.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    There are mechanisms in place to deal with this situation. One is the appeals process, which can overrule and set aside decisions which lack a legal basis. A second is the electoral process, where we have a chance to choose officials who won't appoint asshat judges in the first place.

Don't forget that judges, appointed for life by the President, can be impeached by Congress just like Congress can impeach the President. We discussed this topic in Constitutional Law class, and I feel as though Congress is the strongest of the three branches because it has the power to impeach.

Impeachment Investigations of US federal Judges

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impeachment_investigations_of_United_States_federal_judges

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Look who's gloating

revised-header.png

Dear gullible left wing anti,
    I know you have been getting a lot of emails from me this past week. I will be very brief.
    We won a big victory last week against the NRA when the U.S. District Court upheld the constitutionality of Maryland's Firearm Safety Act. As Attorney General, I will vigorously defend this life-saving measure.
    At midnight on Tuesday, the books close on my first general election fundraising report. In order to win in November and continue fighting for common-sense policies on gun safety, I need you.
    Can you help?
    Whatever you can contribute before midnight tomorrow, whether it is $25, $50, $75, $150 or more --- will make a huge difference.
    [FONT=&quot]Your support will show the NRA and my Republican opponent that we are ready to fight for our vision of a better, safer Maryland.[/FONT]
    Warmly,
    Frosh%20signature(1).jpg

Brian

[FONT=&quot]By Authority: Citizens for Brian Frosh, James Blumenthal, Treasurer.[/FONT]​

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom