• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    The LELDF brief is really good. Sad though that facts are not usually a barrier to an opinion.

Agreed. That is a well written brief. Hopefully it will get more than a skim read from the appellate judge(s).

Mr H

Banana'd
    In the AGs' brief, these jumped out at me...

The law at issue in this appeal is quite different. It outright restricts the ability
    of Maryland residents to possess an entire class of weapons for any purpose—
    including for the core purpose of self-defense in their homes.

Absent any reliable evidence that its ban on semi-automatic rifles and
    standard capacity magazines promotes public safety and law enforcement,
    Maryland’s defense of the law is little more than an assertion that the ban “has the
    potential to prevent and limit shooting injuries in the state over the long-run.”
    Doc. 44-7 at 23. But that is the type of naked speculation against which this Court
    has specifically warned. Without more, Maryland’s ban simply does not pass
    constitutional muster.

6pack

MSI BOD Member
    Apr 2, 2012
    Eldersburg, MD
    In the AGs' brief, these jumped out at me...

Quote:
    The law at issue in this appeal is quite different. It outright restricts the ability
    of Maryland residents to possess an entire class of weapons for any purpose—
    including for the core purpose of self-defense in their homes.
    Quote:
    Absent any reliable evidence that its ban on semi-automatic rifles and
    standard capacity magazines promotes public safety and law enforcement,
    Maryland’s defense of the law is little more than an assertion that the ban “has the
    potential to prevent and limit shooting injuries in the state over the long-run.”
    Doc. 44-7 at 23. But that is the type of naked speculation against which this Court
    has specifically warned. Without more, Maryland’s ban simply does not pass
    constitutional muster.

:party29::party29::party29:

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    "Amici wish to dispel the misleading and insulting caricature that supporters of Second Amendment rights are either tobacco-chewing, gap-toothed, camouflage-wearing rednecks or militia posers who are morbidly fascinated with firepower".

My good friend is the author of that fine line. I will now give him a good ribbing.

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Interesting that the Pink Pistol group brings not only LGBT into the argument, but people or color, women and even disabled persons. They may have one of the more compelling arguments .....

"Amici wish to dispel the misleading and insulting caricature that supporters of Second Amendment rights are either tobacco-chewing, gap-toothed, camouflage-wearing rednecks or militia posers who are morbidly fascinated with firepower".

"Today, blacks, women, the disabled, and the LGBT community are the face of
    the Second Amendment right to bear arms in self-defense".

Agreed that the more the merrier.

While a very hetrosexual person, that line makes me want to join another gun group.
    http://www.pinkpistols.org/

Looks like there is NOT currently a chapter in MD.

ETA: I have been seeing the PP's become more active in a lot of ways. More specifically they have been featured by alternative media as "options" for gun rights supporters whom may not fit in with the elephant in the room. More voices is better than less. Always.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    Fox 45 just covered that 21 other state AGs submitted amicus briefs. They give a nod to the power of these efforts and that it helps it go to the highest court.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    And here I thought most states hated Md....

They still do but at least they are supporting us!

A ruling against us in the 4th directly affects states in the court's jurisdiction. This case will have a wide reaching impact regardless of outcome.

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    After Woollard I really have no faith in the 4th’s decision making capability when it comes to understand the constitution. It doesn’t matter how much overwhelming evidence we have if the court has already made up their mind on this issue.

thomfantomas

Crna Ovca
    Feb 15, 2013
    Дундак ex Florida Keys
    hey now aside of all the negative outcomes which left us a huge burden on our part;there is light at the end of the Tunnel.the prime example is Larry Hogan :) we had our doubts but for once We made our first baby step! i'm more than positive this will rule in our favor :thumbsup:

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    You know what would be very interesting?

If Hogan, as Maryland's governor-elect, filed or signed onto an amicus brief against FSA2013. :D

But that would be wishful thinking...I'm sure he's not in a political position to do that right now.

The deadline for Amici to file has already expired. Hogan won't be Governor until January. Until then he's technically no more useful to the court than you or I.

Timing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom