• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I'm going on a carnival cruise out of baltimore, down to nassau and freeport and back soon. I have a question I haven't found a clear answer to perusing the interwebs. On one part of the website, carnival says weapons are prohibited, but on another part the say you may bring a knife with a blade of less than 4". Searching for clarification in cruising forums, I was immediately met with an onslaught of spineless ninnyhammers outraged that anyone would need to carry one of those evil puppy-killing pocketknives. When I did find an answer, they bounced between a few main common answers.

1) You may bring a knife less than 4 inches with you. Security will measure it, if it's under 4" you're good to keep going through. Security doesn't really care since you have constant access to steak knives onboard the ship.

2) You can bring a knife less than 4"....But bring it in your checked bag. If you bring it on your carry-on, or on your person, it will be confiscated and you will have to reclaim it when you get back to your port of origin.

3) You can only bring a knife less than 4" in your checked bag, and must leave it in your cabin. You will not be able to take it on or off the ship.

4) Any knife will be confiscated and kept when you try to board the ship. You'll have to try to reclaim it when you get back and it may not be there.

5) weapons are prohibited and you will be kicked off the cruise. Also you're a terrible person and should be in jail/mental institution for wanting to carry weapons with you. what are you, paranoid, or are you just a psychopath that wants to go on a stabbing spree? You're probably a real homegrown terrorist, not like those innocent people in guantanimo being persecuted for their religion. It scares me to think people like you are free to walk around in civil society with the rest of us.

so, anyone have experience in the matter? I'm thinking i'll just bring one of my few dozens of <$20 knives less than 4" and put it in my checked bag...then carry my zebra 701 pen on me wherever i go for a handy lil' poke n lever tool. It bothers me to think of going on a cruise and multiple excursions(including a snorkeling excursion) without something sharp within arms-reach.

any input would be greatly appreciated and i'll write up my experience with security here after i get back for current info on carnival's policy.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Sorry I've never been on a cruise, have no experience, but applaud your intent to want to have some ability to defend yourself. Also very smart to try and sort this out before you go.

Are people typically screened like at an airport?
    Don't you still sometimes need a cane to get around ? :)

I never understood knife restrictions, like at a (D) campaign party I was invited to; because there many steak knives and other improvised weapons all over the place.

Do the cruise people really think someone will use their vacation time, spend big bucks to take a cruise; all for the purpose of wanting to do something evil?

From what I have heard, it's the crew that you should be most CONcerned about, if you get my drift. :)

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Sorry I've never been on a cruise, have no experience, but applaud your intent to want to have some ability to defend yourself. Also very smart to try and sort this out before you go.

Are people typically screened like at an airport?
    Don't you still sometimes need a cane to get around ? :)

I never understood knife restrictions, like at a (D) campaign party I was invited to; because there many steak knives and other improvised weapons all over the place.

Do the cruise people really think someone will use their vacation time, spend big bucks to take a cruise; all for the purpose of wanting to do something evil?
    From what I have heard, it's the crew that you should be most CONcerned about, if you get my drift. :)
    the interesting new thing concerning the bolded statement, is that before the cruise i had to make sure to pre-register and log in all my passport stuff so they could forward my information to homeland security for screening. I thought it was slightly odd and police-stateish. Never a big fan of the "papers please" mentality, but it is what it is i guess.

sandeman, I would like one for diving...as numerous things could go wrong. Anything from getting stuck in an abandoned net stuck on a reef, to a shark with a friggin laser beam attached to it's head, to just needing to cut the tag off a pair of goggles. The reason i want a knife is more of, "why the f SHOULDN'T i have a knife". It's a tool useful for anything. In everyday life, my knives are there for everything from mundane tasks like opening mail, cutting food, cleaning fingernails, all the way to self-defense and an emergency tool. I don't need my speciffic pocket knife to kill someone. I can use my hands, some rope, a chair leg, one of the golf clubs on the ship, steak knives on the ship, the water surrounding the ship, the water inside the ship, glass bottles, a spoon(it's duller, it will hurt more), my metal pen, a sock, and any other number of things to kill someone if i wanted. It just defies all common sense to think that taking this speciffic tool away makes anyone any safer from each other on the ship. (not directed at you, just a general vent)

just curious, are you saying to leave it at home because of past experience, or first-hand knowledge with this? If so, could u elaborate?

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    You should post the URLs to those threads so we can all have fun.

phenamunan

Jan 29, 2009
    Brooklyn Park, MD
    I took a cruise a couple years ago and I had a small 3.25" folder in my pocket the whole time and didn't have a problem. If you're concerned about getting something past a metal detector and screening, I would recommend a boker plus subcom. You can get one for less than $30 shipped, 2" blade, plain edge or partially serrated and easily, easily concealed.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    You should post the URLs to those threads so we can all have fun.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=965300
    aplmac:
    What would you need a pocket knife for? -just curious

There are no ropes on board that need to be cut..
    and the steak knives in the dining room do just nicely for their intended task.

Thirsty Cruiser:There are many weapons on board, but I guess limiting what pax bring on board allows security to keep some control over what is available. I certainly would not want someone walking around with one of these
    SD-27354_1_[1].jpg

Kurbanfan:
    (Originally Posted by Nunu:
    Why did you bring scissors?)

Just incase.........

Nunu:

:dials security:

So i guess thirstycruiser wouldn't like me bringing my crkt m16-01t then...

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    . It just defies all common sense to think that taking this speciffic tool away makes anyone any safer from each other on the ship.

It's called "Feel-good Security". And it makes me want to puke, or laugh - depending on the mood I'm in.

Sort of like when you go to a hospital and they put one of those little paper bracelets on you.

Guard says,"Where are you going?" and puts a bracelet on your wrist.

No ID. No questions. Just "Here. Put this on." And all of a sudden it's all good.

An old friend of mine had a saying about being in business... "You don't have to shine their shoes. You just have to make them THINK you're shining their shoes."

In many places, the same can be said for their "security".
    :(

Last edited:

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Sgt Preston here...

Part of being a Marine is being prepared to fight at a minutes notice...

I have always felt a need to be armed & prepared to defend myself in this uncertain world...

The Police can't protect me, they come along after the fact & write a report about what might have happened to me or my family & then they leave...

Since I can't legally carry a handgun, I've always carried a pocket knife my whole life...

I carry a Kershaw pocket folder clipped to my front pants pocket...

The blade length is short at just 2 1/2" long...

I have been on several cruises...

You go thru metal detectors run by a crew of armed guards EVERY time you re-enter the ship...

On my first cruise my knife was confiscated the first time I re-entered the ship...but returned to me when the cruise was over...

So what I learned was to take my knife in my suitcase & keep it in my pants pocket when I'm on the ship (where I probably won't need it)...

BUT I leave in in my suitcase when I visit a port ( where I am more likely to need it)...

So what I have learned is that Airplanes & Cruise Ships are private property & they make the rules...

We just pay the bills & go along for the ride...

Luckily Alaska & Canada (where we have cruised) are generally safe places to visit...

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Sgt Preston here...

Part of being a Marine is being prepared to fight at a minutes notice...

I have always felt a need to be armed & prepared to defend myself in this uncertain world...

The Police can't protect me, they come along after the fact & write a report about what might have happened to me or my family & then they leave...

Since I can't legally carry a handgun, I've always carried a pocket knife my whole life...

I carry a Kershaw pocket folder clipped to my front pants pocket...

The blade length is short at just 2 1/2" long...

I have been on several cruises...

You go thru metal detectors run by a crew of armed guards EVERY time you re-enter the ship...

On my first cruise my knife was confiscated the first time I re-entered the ship...but returned to me when the cruise was over...

So what I learned was to take my knife in my suitcase & keep it in my pants pocket when I'm on the ship (where I probably won't need it)...

BUT I leave in in my suitcase when I visit a port ( where I am more likely to need it)...

So what I have learned is that Airplanes & Cruise Ships are private property & they make the rules...

We just pay the bills & go along for the ride...

Luckily Alaska & Canada (where we have cruised) are generally safe places to visit...

hmm, thanks for the info. Also, thanks for your service. :thumbsup:

Centurion

May 3, 2009
    Crofton
    Smokey
    I took similar Carnival Pride cruise last June from Baltimore. Did not have any trouble getting on and off ship in any port with a 3" knife in pants pocket. They seemed more concerned with passengers carrying alcohol that was not purchased on board.
    Enjoy your cruise!

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Smokey
    I took similar Carnival Pride cruise last June from Baltimore. Did not have any trouble getting on and off ship in any port with a 3" knife in pants pocket. They seemed more concerned with passengers carrying alcohol that was not purchased on board.Enjoy your cruise!

that's terrible people would attempt that....:innocent0
    2011-11-19 13.36.41.jpg

2011-11-19 16.18.01.jpg

2011-11-19 16.46.04.jpg

2011-11-19 16.46.25.jpg

2011-11-19 16.58.49.jpg

"A friend of mine" is going to give it the ol' college try.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Saw a documentary a few years ago that revealed that a handful of people go missing each year from the US on cruises.

My suggestion is to follow their advice, take the knife and keep it under the 4". You don't want to have to throw away an expensive knife. Print out their policy and take it with you. Probably getting on the ship the first time will have the most scrutiny.

When we went on both of our cruises security was pretty tight getting on the ship. I think they were more concerned about people bringing alcohol on board or drugs. You will get stopped by customs at the end of the cruise. But after we got on I don't remember seeing any security. There is a whole lot of alcohol so be careful not to put yourself in a bad situation. I would worry more about my wife being alone more than my own safety. I think they do have a lot of cameras around this ship but we all know they do not prevent crime.

If we ever go on another cruise it will be with a more expensive brand. We did carnival our first 2 and it was ok, but too many drunk rednecks. Would like something a bit more classy.

That said, enjoy yourself but stay alert. Awareness wins the day every time.

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    I agree on taking the knife. I've been on two cruises and have had two each time, a folding kershaw in my pocket and a leatherman on my belt (no one ever said anything to me). They were a carnival and a royal Caribbean curise.

The zebra pen is a good idea as well. I got 2 after all the discussions here a while back.

The other thing you should always have on you anyway is a high end flashlight. The way I see it, this is an absolute must. I have 3 surefires, one is my edc, one is my wife's edc, and a polymer one that is my bedside / airline light. Tsa has never questioned it. and my wife and I both carry 2 pairs of spare cr123s. Always. You will never find me without a light.

On the boat, if there is an electrical problem and youre in the interior of the ship, and the lights go out, it will be very very dark. Bring a light or 2.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    If you spent 1/2 the effort smuggling a weapon on board as you did liquor, you probably could have had your AR with you instead of a dinky little pigsticker:D

Have fun and be safe, see you all when you get back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom