• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • STSCM

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2008
    Lusby, MD
    Okay, while I've got the Utah CCW and am getting some 'tools' to use irt that, thanks PDI, I'm thinking of carrying something in the car since a gun is sooo illegal. So, is a 'hunting' style knife 'legal' here? Keep it in my console? Never pull it out except to use it? Would the local LEO go more nuts than normal? Don't want something to happen and lose all my cool toys before I have my boating accident.

STSCM

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2008
    Lusby, MD
    That is why I keep my knife visible so if I do get pulled over that cop can't say it was a concealed deadly weapon.

Okay, where do you keep it? Do you stow it when going somewhere? Are there any limits for a non-folding, open stored knife around here? Just trying to be clear on all fronts. In this state that's pretty tough.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    To be definately legal have a folding knife. The "jack knife" exception covers any size, open or closed.

Even if a fixed blade knife of xyz length is not specifically illegal, depending on totality of situation , and your apearent intent it is one of an infinite number of things that could potentialy be " dangerous and deadly weapon" .

Fodder4Thought

New Dad!!
    Jul 19, 2009
    Okay, where do you keep it? Do you stow it when going somewhere? Are there any limits for a non-folding, open stored knife around here? Just trying to be clear on all fronts. In this state that's pretty tough.

When I was younger and heavily into the martial arts, I carried a sword (sheathed) across town to my friend's house so he could practice for his black belt. I did this for months without incident, but on one occasion it attracted the attention of the local constabulary. I was told that some woman had called the police, claiming that I was walking down the street swinging the thing around (it was in the sheath, slung across my shoulder, and I never even so much as held it by the hilt. Stupid, I know, but I'd never had a problem before, and being 17 it never occurred to me that some people might be taken by PSH).

An hour and five police cars later (the only time I've had a gun pointed at me), the officer in charge wrote me a warning (I was 17, and my mom had to come get me) that said I was stopped for 'carrying a concealed weapon in plane [sic] view.'

Despite the fact that written English was clearly not this officer's strong point, a cursory reading of the warning showed that he'd probably failed to master the belt buckle, too.

Sure, it might have been intended to scare me, or something, but the end result was only that I thought 1) the woman who called in the complaint was an idiot and a liar, 2) the police were way overreacting (because I'd done it almost a dozen times before in broad daylight without incident - hey, I was 17), and 3) the local police weren't very bright.

Moral of the story: Even if it is legal (what I did probably wasn't - I don't know), that doesn't mean that you won't get stopped by the police, be detained, have the knife taken from you, and then be forced to sit on a curb while you wait for your mother.

Extra bonus fun: As I sat on the curb waiting for my mom, at least three of my parent's friends drove by and got to see me sitting there, surrounded by flashing lights. Fun times.

STSCM

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2008
    Lusby, MD
    When I was younger and heavily into the martial arts, I carried a sword (sheathed) across town to my friend's house so he could practice for his black belt. I did this for months without incident, but on one occasion it attracted the attention of the local constabulary. I was told that some woman had called the police, claiming that I was walking down the street swinging the thing around (it was in the sheath, slung across my shoulder, and I never even so much as held it by the hilt. Stupid, I know, but I'd never had a problem before, and being 17 it never occurred to me that some people might be taken by PSH).

An hour and five police cars later (the only time I've had a gun pointed at me), the officer in charge wrote me a warning (I was 17, and my mom had to come get me) that said I was stopped for 'carrying a concealed weapon in plane [sic] view.'

Despite the fact that written English was clearly not this officer's strong point, a cursory reading of the warning showed that he'd probably failed to master the belt buckle, too.

Sure, it might have been intended to scare me, or something, but the end result was only that I thought 1) the woman who called in the complaint was an idiot and a liar, 2) the police were way overreacting (because I'd done it almost a dozen times before in broad daylight without incident - hey, I was 17), and 3) the local police weren't very bright.

Moral of the story: Even if it is legal (what I did probably wasn't - I don't know), that doesn't mean that you won't get stopped by the police, be detained, have the knife taken from you, and then be forced to sit on a curb while you wait for your mother.

Extra bonus fun: As I sat on the curb waiting for my mom, at least three of my parent's friends drove by and got to see me sitting there, surrounded by flashing lights. Fun times.

Think I'll be waiting a long time on that curb. Well, thanks all for the great advice, have a nice SOG folder, maybe that'll do, assuming an assisting open isn't something also to go nuts over. If so, I'll just keep some sharpened no. 2 pencils out in the open or something. Sharpen them till they're no longer that 2 inches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom