kin sumbuddy 'splain me sumthin? (AR15 related)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Max Power

Confused Reactionary
    I may be moving to MD. I have a RRA NM A4 with a HBAR so that is outside the scope of banned arms by the "State" of MD. I also have an Armscorp M14 that was born in 1996 and which I have owned since 2007, so I am ok there.

However, I also have a banned Colt AR15 (LE6920). I see from the banned list maintained by the MD Brown Shirts that the RRA Car A4 is not banned.

Rock River Arms CAR A4 Not Banned

Neither a "Copycat" nor cosmetically similar to anything on the current enumberated banned weapon list 5/21/2015

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=223

Am I understanding it properly, because it makes no sense to me. I see no difference between the two guns. Why isn't the RRA car A4 considered a copycat of the colt LE6920?

If I am, I will make a straight up trade prior to relocating. I can make a trade with a buddy for my Colt for his RRA Car A4.

Thanks in advance

vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    It doesn't make sense to anyone. HBARs are GTG as well as piston ARs. The M&P 15 Sport was legal now its not. If moving to MD you may bring and keep those banned firearms as long as you voluntary register them.

'04 Cummins

Defenestrator
    When did you purchase the 6920? If it was after 10/1/13, you can't bring it... If it was before, you're gtg.

The RRA is not banned because it appears to be an HBAR. Any HBAR ar15 is legal.

EDIT: funny though, it appears you can choose a lightweight barrel on the CAR A4 as a build option...

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    you are confusing the "copycat" and "copy".

"copycat" is a feature test, length, folding stocks, flash hider, grenade launcher. any firearm can be a copycat.

"copy" is cosmetically similar and interchangeable internals to one of the listed banned rifles. If its not HBAR (marked or advertised) and not a dedicated piston (like lwrc) it is 99% certain to considered a copy of the banned colt ar-15. the rra car4 is certainly cosmetically similar to numerous colt models and has interchangeable parts.

MSP's list of examined firearms is not exhaustive.

Max Power

Confused Reactionary
    you are confusing the "copycat" and "copy".

If its not HBAR (marked or advertised) and not a dedicated piston (like lwrc) it is 99% certain to considered a copy of the banned colt ar-15. the rra car4 is certainly cosmetically similar to numerous colt models and has interchangeable parts.

MSP's list of examined firearms is not exhaustive.

I don't think the RRA Car A4 has an HBAR. It looks identical to the Colt LE6920. Reading your reply, the RRA Car A4 should be banned but according to the MDSP list, it is not. As for my use of the word "copycat", I cut and pasted that blurb from the MDSP list of reviewed firearms.

I acquired my Colt post ban. I can trade it for a friend's RRA CAR A4. I want to make sure I understand that the RRA CAR A4 is ok in MD.

aireyc

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Honestly I wouldn't trust the MDSP interpretation. They might be unaware of non-HBAR CAR A4s. The gun isn't a copycat, but it would be a copy if it doesn't have the HBAR. It's not a copycat because it doesn't have a folding stock or grenade launcher. It would be a copy if it doesn't have the heavy barrel.

Hopefully the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals will overturn the ban in the near future and this whole issue will be moot. The opinion could come any day now.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    If your 6920 was acquired after 10/1/13 even in your home state, it is banned in MD. Sorry. Sux I know. If it were me I would buy a cheap HBAR upper to put on it and keep it. I am not a lawyer.

Max Power

Confused Reactionary
    The national match models are distinguished from standard models by the use of a HBAR.

We are talking about w or even 3 different rifles.

Straight CAR- not necessarily HBAR. NM HBAR.

I have two AR 15s. One is a RRA NM A4 with an HBar. The other is a Colt LE 6920

I know that my RRA NM A4 is legal because it has a heavy barrel. I also know that my Colt LE 6920 is banned. I acquired my Colt post ban so I cannot bring it to MD with me.

What I see from the MD SP website is that the RRA CAR A4 is "not banned" because it is "Neither a "Copycat" nor cosmetically similar to anything on the current enumberated banned weapon list"

http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizati...LicensingDivision/Firearms/FirearmSearch.aspx

Click Rock River Arms

I want to verify this as I can trade my Colt for a RRA CAR A4. I am unable to get a straight answer here so far.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    ignore msp's list for a minute. they make frequent mistakes.

all colt ar-15's and copies are banned. the exemption is colt hbar sporters and their copies, which are not banned.

if the rifle you want is a hbar, that's fine, its good to go. if the rifle msp has listed online is not a hbar, they made a mistake.
    make sense?

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I
    I want to verify this as I can trade my Colt for a RRA CAR A4. I am unable to get a straight answer here so far.

That's because, honestly, no one knows for sure.

MSP puts rifles on and takes them off without a decent explanation of their reasoning.

No one to date that we know of has been prosecuted for violating the ban except for two guys who were I believe, manufacturing and selling non compliant rifles illegally- which makes what they did a totally different thing.

As far as normal citizens go......it's all hearsay and conjecture until MSP starts arresting people. The best you can do is try to apply their reasoning and hope you stay off their radar.

It's a depressing but honest appraisal of the law in MD and why we hate it so.

Possible suggestions.

The colt lower is legal. No arguement about that. You could buy a compliant upper and use that with the rifle until you leave the state and then sell it. Md does not have constructive intent so owing a non compliant upper that you don't mount to a lower is not illegal.

If you like the RR A4 carbine and it has a heavy barrel there is nothing to stop you from making the trade. If the carbine does not have a heavy barrel then it's illegal regardless of what MSP's website says. The RR A4 carbine is available in compliant and non compliant versions.

In the end you are going to have to do your version of what you think is right.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Would the fact that the MDSP lists that model as not banned be a safe harbor against confiscation or prosecution should I trade for it and move to MD?

Google "Brian Frosh"
    He's our Attorney General, he'd take a way your single shot .22 if he thought he could get away with it.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    ignore msp's list for a minute. they make frequent mistakes.

all colt ar-15's and copies are banned. the exemption is colt hbar sporters and their copies, which are not banned.

if the rifle you want is a hbar, that's fine, its good to go. if the rifle msp has listed online is not a hbar, they made a mistake.
    make sense?

^^^^
    This

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads