• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NIK

Jul 31, 2012
    MD
    Do you guys keep your old boxes? I keep my firearms in the safe without the box because of room. I'm organizing and they just seem to be in the way.

Any recommendations on what to do with them? Some are tupperware cases, the other are just cardboard.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Its a hard choice and I think some "tactical" decisions can be made.

Generally I try to keep them, but they do take up a lot of space, pistols not so much they can all go in a box in a dry area but rifles are a pain. If you have an attic or something like that it helps, but paper and graphics fade.

I would use the following logic:

1. If its a gun that potentially rare, keep it and try to store it reasonably nice.
    2. If its a gun that is rare with the box keep it.
    3. If its not a rare gun (sometimes we dont know whats going to be valuable) but you are not going to shoot it much keep it.
    4. If its a common gun like a Marlin 60 that you are going to shoot the snot out of, dont worry about it.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Its a hard choice and I think some "tactical" decisions can be made.

Generally I try to keep them, but they do take up a lot of space, pistols not so much they can all go in a box in a dry area but rifles are a pain. If you have an attic or something like that it helps, but paper and graphics fade.

I would use the following logic:

1. If its a gun that potentially rare, keep it and try to store it reasonably nice.
    2. If its a gun that is rare with the box keep it.
    3. If its not a rare gun (sometimes we dont know whats going to be valuable) but you are not going to shoot it much keep it.
    4. If its a common gun like a Marlin 60 that you are going to shoot the snot out of, dont worry about it.

This is pretty much what I do. I used to keep all the boxes. Then it just got ridiculous the amount of space they took up, although they were nice to have when we moved. After the last move I got rid of them, either that or devote a bedroom to storing them

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    That is especially the case with any older (C&R or older) guns. I have some boxes that are actually worth more than the firearms. Plain Jane, unmarked brown cardboard can probably go, but anything with identifying marks, you may want to try and hold on to.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    I for one prefer to to have the box and all paperwork if I buy a firearm when used. I tend to buy shoot for a while and then trade or sell if the firearms loses it charm and the new owner always seem grateful for the box and papers. I just have a space in my attic to hold them till they to. Not as much a collector as a shooter.

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    Yep, I keep them all. I don't know about boxes worth more than the firearm, but I do know resales with the boxes seem to bring higher prices than those without any of the original OEM material.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I hold onto the boxes. If space becomes an issue, your wife will surely have some frivolous stuff that can be disposed of to make more room for the more important things. Like gun boxes!

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    At one point in time, I kept all of the boxes, but when we moved into this house, I cut the serial numbers off of the (long gun) boxes and cut the boxes down and recycled them.

I've never thrown away a pistol/revolver box.

I've got several long gun boxes stored between the floor joists, in my basement.

It's about time to toss them, although, my Beretta Silver Pigeon box and my Marlin 1895CB box will stay.

The reason I don't mind tossin' the boxes....... I'm never selling/getting rid of my long guns.

:thumbsup:

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    I agree with keeping them...I've bought and sold a lot of guns and having the box (and original manuals) definitely adds some value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom