• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nemesis11c

Apr 27, 2009
    Rockville
    Supposedly, these are the best mounts around in terms of quality, stability, reliability, price, etc. Gonna scout my 91/30 as I don't feel like replacing the bolt on an all matching rifle, and I'm definitely going this route.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Looking for recommendations for a scout scope and mount for a K31. I will probably go with this mount
    http://www.scopemounts.com/index.html?main.html#
    but looking for the most cost effective, reliable scope.

That scope looks really far forward on the gun. Is that mount appropriate for a K31? I like that it is centered and not angled to one side (like the St. Marie mounts), but I'd like to try it first. I have a small concern about adequate eye relief with that model.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    That scope looks really far forward on the gun. Is that mount appropriate for a K31? I like that it is centered and not angled to one side (like the St. Marie mounts), but I'd like to try it first. I have a small concern about adequate eye relief with that model.

My apologies, it looks like you're referring to one of these: http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews2005/skswissk31mount/index.asp
    , in which case eye relief is not an issue. Thanks for your post. I learned something new.

Sling1

Provocative Interloper
    Nov 25, 2009
    Frederick

Sling1

Provocative Interloper
    Nov 25, 2009
    Frederick
    Supposedly, these are the best mounts around in terms of quality, stability, reliability, price, etc. Gonna scout my 91/30 as I don't feel like replacing the bolt on an all matching rifle, and I'm definitely going this route.

What scope will you go with? Why? What distances do plan on shooting at?

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    I believe eye relief is an issue. The K31 is top eject and the scope has to be far forward to avoid the shell case as it is ejected. A long eye relief scout scope is required.......unless I misunderstood something.

I've never shot a K31, but I did just purchase one and it is on its way via the brown truck of happiness. I believe, like you, that i will want to put a scope on it. The mounting system that I'm considering is here: http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews2006/stmariescopebaseswiss/index.asp

I'll be happy to share how this works out for me if/when I do it. I'm going to see how I do with the iron sites first.

Sling1

Provocative Interloper
    Nov 25, 2009
    Frederick

I can't use the St. Marie mount, I'm a lefty.

Sling1

Provocative Interloper
    Nov 25, 2009
    Frederick
    Sooooo.....

I got the mount. Had to tighten the hell out of it to make it stable. Dialed it in pretty quickly. Enjoyed three shots before the NC Star scope broke. Parallax was pretty bad too, but that could have been my eye position.

I can see the benefits of scout scope, but for the price of quality scope I'll buy more ammo and stick to iron sights.

.........until I get the scout scope itch again.

Garand1957

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 30, 2007
    The War Room
    With rifle optics in general you get what you pay for.
    A quality long eye relief scope ain't cheap.
    A dependable quality LER scope will likely cost more than you spent on the K-31.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom