• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter56

Aug 28, 2015
    A PBJ for this offense would not make you a prohibited person since it would not be a conviction.

You would be prohibited for the duration of your probation period as you are prohibited if you are presently charged with a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year. Your charges will not be dropped until the end of your probation period.

Originally Posted by hairba111
    Even if you get a light sentence or probation..........you won't be able to own a gun legally again. It's a felony.

It's not a felony charge, it's a misdemeanor, either way you will be prohibited unless you get a PBJ in which case you will be prohibited during the probation period.

shooter56

Aug 28, 2015
    Well, actually, it looks like a PBJ will not get you off. The question on form 77 says: "Have you ever been convicted in Maryland or elsewhere of a misdemeanor which, under Maryland law, carries a maximum penalty of more than 2 years? IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT SENTENCE YOU ACTUALLY RECEIVED, EVEN IF YOU ONLY RECEIVED PROBATION."

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Well, actually, it looks like a PBJ will not get you off. The question on form 77 says: "Have you ever been convicted in Maryland or elsewhere of a misdemeanor which, under Maryland law, carries a maximum penalty of more than 2 years? IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT SENTENCE YOU ACTUALLY RECEIVED, EVEN IF YOU ONLY RECEIVED PROBATION."

Except for the niggling lil fact that a PBJ is NOT a conviction.

shooter56

Aug 28, 2015
    I suspect that you will not receive any PBJ's for handgun violations, only PAJ's (probation after judgment), which means you are convicted and the conviction stands even after your probation period, you just get a lesser sentence than the minimum recommended.

Armati

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 6, 2013
    Baltimore
    Except for the niggling lil fact that a PBJ is NOT a conviction.
    I can assure you, I had this exact conversation with my attorney. The PBJ blows my mind.

I couldn't remember how MD defined prohibited person on that state form.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

shooter56

Aug 28, 2015
    It doesn't say PBJ, it says PROBATION. There are two kinds of probation, before judgment and after judgment. A PBJ is considered a conviction under federal law.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    No it is not.

agreed. Just by nature or the wording I don't see how that's possible. Probation BEFORE judgement. A guilty verdict with a sentence of probation is different.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    agreed. Just by nature or the wording I don't see how that's possible. Probation BEFORE judgement. A guilty verdict with a sentence of probation is different.

I think the kicker is PBJ usually comes after a guilty plea ... so you are screwed up if a question asks if you ever plead guilty.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Maybe I saw it in an earlier draft, but I thought there was part of FA2013 that said PBJ counts as a conviction for the prohibiting part.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I think the kicker is PBJ usually comes after a guilty plea ... so you are screwed up if a question asks if you ever plead guilty.

IANAL, and I wouldn't even pretend to be one. I'd need a detailed explanation on this. On the one hand it is supposed to be BEFORE judgement. As in, neither guilty or not guilty. My only reference is traffic court and every time I've heard someone receive PBJ it's after a "guilty with an explanation" type plea. :shrug:

Armati

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 6, 2013
    Baltimore
    Nope. You can be found guilty by the court, but this ruling is "shelved" pending your probation. After probation you not convinced of any crime. Neat huh?

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    No, no, no. IAAL: A PBJ is not a conviction. From the minute you get the PBJ you can truthfully answer that you haven't been convicted of a crime. When the Judge enters the PBJ pursuant to Maryland Criminal Procedure 6-220 he/she strikes the guilty finding (the judgment) and places you on probation. Therefore no judgment (i.e. conviction) is entered Now if you violate your probation you can be hauled back into court and the judge can strike the PBJ and enter a conviction on your record and re-sentence you.

It is correct that a condition of probation can prohibit you from possessing any dangerous and deadly weapon while you are on probation but that can be waived. Not the same as being prohibited under Maryland Statute.

The one exception is that under FA2013 the statute was amended to state that a PBJ for a crime of violence or a "domestically related crime" counts as a conviction.

MD doesn't have anything that's called a Probation after Judgment (PAJ)

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    It's a misdemeanor but carries >2 years so a conviction does make one a prohibited person.

With one stipulation...

Most of this "carries a sentence >2 years thus making you a prohibited person" crap only applies within the confines of this sorry-ass state. A person who decides to move from Maryland to America; Virginia, Texas, Utah, etc will most likely find that they are no longer be a prohibited person... It's amazing how that works! :rolleyes:

runswscissors

Jul 11, 2008
    Harford County
    Funny. I looked into this a week or two ago as well.

It's a shame when you have to actually THINK about whether it's worth 3 yrs, loss of firearm ownership rights and $2,500.

shooter56

Aug 28, 2015
    Well, I'm certainly no lawyer but this guy is a Maryland lawyer. This web page explains what a PBJ is and explains the difference between probation before judgment and probation after judgment. Last sentence on this page states: "Under federal law, probation before judgment is treated as a criminal conviction, even though it is not treated as a criminal conviction under state law." I was able to find many other sites that back that claim up.

http://professorwarnken.com/2010/08/17/what-is-a-probation-before-judgement-pbj/

It does appear that Maryland has such a thing as probation after judgment but I'm not clear on it's use.

http://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2010/criminal-procedure/title-6/subtitle-2/6-225

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    With one stipulation...

Most of this "carries a sentence >2 years thus making you a prohibited person" crap only applies within the confines of this sorry-ass state. A person who decides to move from Maryland to America; Virginia, Texas, Utah, etc will most likely find that they are no longer be a prohibited person... It's amazing how that works! :rolleyes:

I suggest you closely read question 11c on the FEDERAL Form 4473.

Have you ever been convicted of a felony, or any other crime, for which the judge could have imprisoned you for more than one year, even if you received a shorter sentence, including probation?

https://www.atf.gov/file/61446/download

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom