• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    No markings or serial number. Really not sure if its a copy or not. Patina on it looks fantastic. What is it?

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      117.2 KB · Views: 757

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    Nope, that's the correct size for many of those old BP .44's. :thumbsup:

Looks like it's still in shoot-able shape. Make some white smoke with it...

:party29:
    Excellent. He gave me about 300-400 balls and a couple of pounds of 4f. Also some grease and patches. Some of the nipples are misshapen from dry firing. I'll clean them up with a file. I think my rifle caps should work. I'll make some smoke this weekend.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Excellent. He gave me about 300-400 balls and a couple of pounds of 4f. Also some grease and patches. Some of the nipples are misshapen from dry firing. I'll clean them up with a file. I think my rifle caps should work. I'll make some smoke this weekend.

You could probably pick up some new nipples pretty cheap - (especially since you live in Free 'Merica now) :envy:

Sounds like you have plenty of powder and balls. #10 or #11 caps ought to work fine.

We definitely expect to see PICTURES!!!

:lol:

:thumbsup:

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    It's been "de-farbed" (modern markings removed).
    .451 or even .454 balls should be fine. You don't use patches, except to clean it.
    Grease over the balls to lube and seal is fine.
    4f powder is very fine, normally used to prime flintlocks. 3f is standard for pistols. I guess a light load of 4f is okay: probably won't blow up the gun. But keep it light. Or get some 3f when you get the new nipples (and the nipple wrench).

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    It's been "de-farbed" (modern markings removed).
    .451 or even .454 balls should be fine. You don't use patches, except to clean it.
    Grease over the balls to lube and seal is fine.
    4f powder is very fine, normally used to prime flintlocks. 3f is standard for pistols. I guess a light load of 4f is okay: probably won't blow up the gun. But keep it light. Or get some 3f when you get the new nipples (and the nipple wrench).

What Threeband said.
    - As you seat the lead balls in the chambers it will shave a ring of lead (3% of course). That's part of the "boolit sizing" process for BP revolvers like this.
    - It could be the former owner had the patches for cleaning, but you won't need/use them for loading the cylinder on a pistol. Bore Butter or some other type of grease on top of each loaded chamber minimizes the possibility of chain fires in revolvers.
    - FFFg is usualy revolver powder. FFFFg is much more finely ground. Adjust your starting loads based on powder volume - not weight. And keep them on the light side like Threeband said.

Looks to me like a fun "white smoke" pistol. ...

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Did the former owner also have a flintlock rifle? That would explain the patches and 4f.

I used to use plain wheel bearing grease over the balls. First time out I tried straight crisco, but it quickly liquefied in the balmy Texas climate (not unlike Arizona). Immediately switched to wheel bearing grease, never looked back. You can use commercial stuff.

Consarned whippersnappers today use pre-lubed wads between the powder and ball, no grease on top. Never tried 'em. Hickock didn't use 'em, neither. Might be worth a try, though.

Do an advanced search for "loading stand" and "Threeband", and you'll find a bunch of bool shirt I posted mixed into some good threads on cap and ball revolvers.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    I thought that I had read somewhere that the South may have made some copies with a brass frame. I have a repro that is a chrome plated brass frame, I would think that it would take a lot of buffing to get the markings out. There are probably a lot of fakes out there, I would have a couple of experts look at it before sellimg it cheap.

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    I thought that I had read somewhere that the South may have made some copies with a brass frame. I have a repro that is a chrome plated brass frame, I would think that it would take a lot of buffing to get the markings out. There are probably a lot of fakes out there, I would have a couple of experts look at it before sellimg it cheap.

Some of the patina does look quite advanced. Guy said he bought it used after coming home from vietnam in 73. So it's at least that old. Sold it to me for $50 so i figure its a repro.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I don't think they were de-farbing in '73.

The more fanatical reenacters buff off all markings, or pay to have it done. The sneer at anything that's less than perfectly authentic as "Farb" or "farby", which is as bad as it gets. Worse than being a nazi...

If it's an original, the metric replacement nipples won't work. And where are the original markings? That patina does look authentic, though. Grips look newish. (And a bit farby? Quell horreur!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom