• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eah990

Feb 25, 2010
    Hey guys I just picked up this webley. I know absolutely nothing about it and was curious if you guys could help educate me. I picked it up for 300$, is that a reasonable price?

I certainly would appreciate any info on this gun

Attachments

• DSC_0147.jpg
      DSC_0147.jpg
      55 KB · Views: 448
    • DSC_0148.jpg
      DSC_0148.jpg
      52.3 KB · Views: 447
    • DSC_0150.jpg
      DSC_0150.jpg
      52.5 KB · Views: 451
    • DSC_0151.jpg
      DSC_0151.jpg
      55.1 KB · Views: 533
    • DSC_0155.jpg
      DSC_0155.jpg
      48.5 KB · Views: 450

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Looks like a Mark IV, in .38 S&W. Webley tried to sell these to the British War department in the 1920's as a replacement for the Webley's in .455 but the war department rejected them so they built them in different calibers for the commercial market. In WWII the the war department began buying and issuing them.

You should be able to remove that coin-slotted screw beneath the cylinder and turn the lever beneath to free the cylinder for cleaning. It should slide off the axle to the rear.

eah990

Feb 25, 2010
    do you think the barrel length is how it was manufactured. or was it chopped off? any idea on value?

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I was looking into a similar pistol a while ago; Enfield, made by Albion. Seller insisted the short barrel was original, but in the end he was wrong; a lot of the Brit pistols were imported in the 1950s, and were cut down for the US market. Usually quite a professional job; hard to tell.

I'm no expert, but I'd bet on a cut.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Webley made a commercial version with a 2" barrel. I'm not sure about the military ones.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Nice! MKIVs are still very affordable and neat in today's market, but I have been seeing prices creep up in the last 2-3 yrs.
    The only Webley revolver I have is a MKVI that had the cyl. cut for .45acp/AR. It's a sweetheart to shoot and practical since I reload a lot for my 1911s (reduced SWC loads for this one!).

Attachments

• IMGP5425.JPG
      IMGP5425.JPG
      62.4 KB · Views: 356

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Nice! MKIVs are still very affordable and neat in today's market, but I have been seeing prices creep up in the last 2-3 yrs.
    The only Webley revolver I have is a MKVI that had the cyl. cut for .45acp/AR. It's a sweetheart to shoot and practical since I reload a lot for my 1911s (reduced SWC loads for this one!).

Care to share your recipe? My uncle has a webly he'd love to take out but we are concerned about the pressure.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Nice webley these are one of my favorite classic designs, a .455 gun uncut is on my wishlist.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Care to share your recipe? My uncle has a webly he'd love to take out but we are concerned about the pressure.

I'd start w. 5.0 gr of Unique and a 250 gr lead bullet, this is the "standard" reload to approximate the original factory load. I've also used 3.5 gr of Bullseye and a 200 gr lead SWC (use these in my Gold Cup) and gotten decent results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom