• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • powder in the air

Cogito, ergo armatum sum
    Jun 18, 2011
    smithsburg
    so about a month or 2 ago I inherited some hunting equipment from an uncle. among this was all the items needed to make my own arrows complete with the saw to cut aluminum and carbon shafts all sorts of inserts an knocks and last but not least BITZENBURGER jigs. I have cut some of my older arrows from a previous bow down to my current length and had success with gluing in the inserts and they have shot well. now I have started to try my hand in fletching. got some glue recommended by the pro at my local archery shop and made up a few using old shafts that had damage fletching's. they shot well but were not that clean looking. so I tried a few more and my wraps look good, but im still getting some glue running out giving it a messy finish. with this being said I guess my question is , are there any tricks or techniques to having that nice clean look or dose it come with time and practice.
    thanks in advance dave

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Yes, time and practice... lol

Depending on what vanes or feathers you are using, most are using some type of 'superglue' like adhesive. It only take a couple little drops, smear them along the vane base (if it is squeezing out, you are using too much) to even out the glue across the base and stick em on.

I shoot a lot of vanes in the 2" range (some a little shorter than that) and with those, I use two or three very small drops, then go back with the bottle tip and smear them out to get an even coating along the base of the vane, attach with clamp, hold for about 10 secs, wait another half min or so and then carefully remove the clamp. After I have done all three, I will go back and check each vane for any edge or corner that is not well adhered and if needed, take the edge of a credit card and press down again on any spot that needs it to ensure a complete bond to the entire length of the vane base, especially the front and rear edges, those take the most abuse on a target pass through or slapping arrows together in the target.

Praeger

Apr 7, 2014
    Howard County
    Cyanoacrylate (CA) aka Super Glue

Yes, time and practice... lol

Depending on what vanes or feathers you are using, most are using some type of 'superglue' like adhesive. It only take a couple little drops, smear them along the vane base (if it is squeezing out, you are using too much) to even out the glue across the base and stick em on.

I shoot a lot of vanes in the 2" range (some a little shorter than that) and with those, I use two or three very small drops, then go back with the bottle tip and smear them out to get an even coating along the base of the vane, attach with clamp, hold for about 10 secs, wait another half min or so and then carefully remove the clamp. After I have done all three, I will go back and check each vane for any edge or corner that is not well adhered and if needed, take the edge of a credit card and press down again on any spot that needs it to ensure a complete bond to the entire length of the vane base, especially the front and rear edges, those take the most abuse on a target pass through or slapping arrows together in the target.

This ^^^.

Surfaces to be bonded should be clean and dry. Dispense a drop or drops to one surface only. Apply only enough to leave a thin film layer after compression. Press parts together and hold firmly for a few seconds. Good contact is essential. Leaving a "bead" of CA around the base of the fletching will not bond properly as oxygen inhibits curing. Wipe off any squeeze out, the use acetone to clean off the haze after it cures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom