• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dreago

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2009
    Dear Gun Rights Advocate:

New Gun Regulations NOT fully posted on Maryland Register as promised.

I want to provide you with an update concerning the new gun law that is to go into effect on October 1, 2013.

I am on the Administrative, Executive and Legislative Review Committee (AELR) of the Md. General Assembly. The AELR committee reviews proposed regulations. As you may already know, the MD State Police (MSP) is responsible for promulgating the regulations to implement the new gun law (SB 281).

As a member of the AELR committee, I was given a draft copy of the new proposed regulations to comment on before they were to have been published on September 6 in the Maryland Register. Once published (and official), the regulations will be open to public comment.

However, they are not publishing the entire set of new regulations on September 6 as promised. They have only published an abbreviated section of the definitions.

The more important set of the regulations dealing with hand gun permits were only "introduced" on their web site. They did not publish the full text of these regulations, but rather a two sentence line of introduction: "Chapter 13 of the Acts of 1972, Codified as Public Safety Article, Title 5, Subtitle 3, Annotated Code of Maryland (Handgun Permit Law), provided for the Secretary of State Police to issue handgun permits under specified conditions. The following regulations have been adopted pursuant to this legislation." There is nothing else posted after this line.

I have my own thoughts as to why they are not being fully published at this time. First and foremost, I think the law was extremely poorly written. SB 281 was filled with a lot of ambiguities and incorrect information that I believe the MSP is finding difficult to correct through these regulations.

I had hoped to be able to share my own review of these regulations once they had officially been published on the web site of the Maryland Register. I expect they are making changes to them as we speak and just haven't finished with them as of yet.

The Maryland Register is published twice a month on a Friday. By law, regulations must be posted for public review and comment. September 20th is the next Friday that new regulations will be posted on their web site.

That web site is: http://www.dsd.state.md.us/MDRegister/mdregister.aspx.

I will be back in touch with you as I learn more.

Nancy Jacobs Signature
    Nancy

Help me keep you informed on legislative updates like this one

regarding SB 281 by donating today. Contributions like yours keeps the

communication through the mail, website and emails possible.

Thank you for your support and involvement.

Donate Online

Mail a contribution with this printable form

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Oh, what a shock. Watching the state of MD dig itself deeper into a hole. I wish ALL of SB281 would just implode.

pitpawten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    Is she subtly asking/hoping for a lawsuit against the state for failure to fulfill its commitment?

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    i see they kept the bit about not being allowed to possess ammo if you don't qualify for a regulated firearm. so 18 year olds will not be allowed to buy ammo anymore?

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    i see they kept the bit about not being allowed to possess ammo if you don't qualify for a regulated firearm. so 18 year olds will not be allowed to buy ammo anymore?

Thought that was fed regs anyways.. can't buy handgun ammo that is.

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    For those new to the game...

There was a bill defeated a couple years back, specifically attempting to restrict the sale of ammunition "designed for use in handguns," or similar tripe...

You'd think they'd learn, rather than double-down.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    There was a bill defeated a couple years back, specifically attempting to restrict the sale of ammunition "designed for use in handguns," or similar tripe...

Like a fungus. They keep coming back..

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    For those new to the game...

lol. don't know of many cartridges that are SOLELY designed for regulated firearms.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    Thought that was fed regs anyways.. can't buy handgun ammo that is.

it doesn't say handgun ammunition, or ammunition designed for regulated firearms in this section:

.06 Ammunition.
    A. A person may not possess ammunition if the person is prohibited from possessing a regulated firearm under Regulation .03A of this chapter or Public Safety Article, §5-133(b)-(c), Annotated Code of Maryland.
    B. A person who violates this section may be punished by imprisonment for a period of not more than 1 year, or a fine of not more than $1,000, or both.

.03B does talk about ammunition for regulatef firearms though

B. A person under the age of 21 years may not possess a regulated firearm or ammunition solely designed for a regulated firearm, unless the person is not otherwise prohibited from possessing a regulated firearm and is:
    (1) A member of the armed forces of the United States or the National Guard and is performing official duties;
    (2) Required to possess a regulated firearm for employment purposes and holds a valid permit under Public Safety Article, Title 5, Subtitle 3, Annotated Code of Maryland;
    (3) Temporarily transferring or possessing a regulated firearm or ammunition and is:
    (a) Under the supervision of another who is at least 21 years old and who is not prohibited by federal or State law from possessing a firearm; and
    (b) Acting with the permission of the parent or legal guardian of the person;
    (4) Temporarily transferring or possessing a regulated firearm or ammunition and is:
    (a) Participating in marksmanship training of a recognized organization; and
    (b) Under the supervision of a qualified instructor; or
    (5) Possessing the firearm for self-defense or the defense of others against a trespasser into the person’s residence or a residence in which the person is an invited guest.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    Again, there is no such thing as "ammunition solely designed for a regulated firearm", and proves they are clutching at straws.

.06 says nothing about that. it says "ammunition"

meaning that section bans anyone under 21 from buying or possessing any ammunition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom