• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    That's beautiful, congrats. Nice kat too--could be sister of my feline.

Took my SKS to the range yesterday, functioned flawlessly, and if somebody else was shooting it, probably would have shot quite accurately--it was a little high and right, but grouped fine.

I'd never shot an SKS, and I was surprised how little recoil there was with it--could have shot it all day. Don't like the sights, which is my excuse for shooting it poorly, but otherwise they are really beautiful rifles, effectively brand new, and very well made.

I like the whole grenade launcher thing too, rubber butt pad and the night sight. More things to play with, and I like the idea that Marshall Tito's people's army saw every soldier as a rifleman, grenadier and pikeman.

Translation page was interesting too--thanks. What are we to presume, that these were manufactured in the '50s, sat around various arsenals for a time and finally gathered up and put into long term storage around 1969/70?

Thanks!

Glad you enjoy yours. Yes, sights aren't the greatest.... But they are fun to shoot and accurate enough.

I was assuming the date in the front page of the book was the "born on" date, mine is 1977. But that does seem kind of late....not sure when they started using an AK design.

I just ordered a grenade launcher for mine :party29:

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Its blood stained !

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

Nah - from what I've been told, just worn out bluing solution.

972c44bfcfff0c5e7601e01013971382.jpg

Sharp

Feb 21, 2015
    Calvert
    That's more logical, you see this plum color a lot on the late-war, Walther-produced P38s but not on Spreewerk or Mauser.
    Also heard it was a matter of how the metal was pre-treated before bluing.
    Anyway, on the Walthers it is a very fragile finish and easily worn off, can even wipe off if you're not careful and use harsher cleaners on it.

It could also be any combination of metallurgy, pre-treating, and heat.
    If you notice the reblued "Bulgarian Star B's" they almost always have a purple-colored extractor, which is a hardened part.

Thanks for the info everyone. Had no idea it was so common.

dementlr

Feb 8, 2011
    St. Mary's County
    Raining Yugos

This thread has caused me to have an expensive week. First the Yugo M59/66 from SOG, and now a M59 from Dan's Ammo. The M59 has a little more wear and tear, dings, etc, but it is still in very nice shape. And as luck will have it, a little less cosmoline than the m59/66!

I had been looking for a M59 for quite a while, when I stubbled across one from Empire a few days ago. Then I saw the link for the ones from Dans. I may have one too many M59.

Pics are for the M59 from Dan's Ammo.

Attachments

• l1.jpg
      l1.jpg
      48.6 KB · Views: 239
    • l2.jpg
      l2.jpg
      51.8 KB · Views: 238
    • l3.jpg
      l3.jpg
      49.8 KB · Views: 240
    • r1.jpg
      r1.jpg
      45.4 KB · Views: 241
    • r2.jpg
      r2.jpg
      46.4 KB · Views: 245
    • r3.jpg
      r3.jpg
      49.1 KB · Views: 243

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    My Yugo came in today - hand select - and it looks pretty much like the one that Toolness got, only not quite as much figure in the wood. Same basic color, though.

I haven't looked it over really well yet, but was disappointed that the serial on the bolt cover is 49 numbers off matching the rest of the rifle's numbers. I sort of thought that was part of the hand select, but guess not. Still, it could be a lot worse. Now I won't be as hesitant to shoot it.

Will try to take pics tomorrow.

Last edited:

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    My Yugo came in today - hand select - and it looks pretty much like the one that Toolness got, only not quite as much figure in the wood. Same basic color, though.

I haven't looked it over really well yet, but was disappointed that the serial on the bolt cover is 49 numbers off matching the rest of the rifle's numbers. I sort of thought that was part of the hand select, but guess not. Still, it could be a lot worse. Now I won't be as hesitant to shoot it.

Will try to take pics tomorrow.

Sorry yours doesn't completely match, but I am glad it's pretty. Hopefully it'll make up for it when you take it to the range and enjoy it! Mine is already packed in extra grease, wrapped in a silicone gun sock, stuffed in the back of the safe!

Edit: They did have a separate $10 fee to ask for hand select, I just got lucky.

dementlr

Feb 8, 2011
    St. Mary's County
    I decided my m59 cleaning was going to be thorough, so like I have done in the past I removed the handguard from the gas tube. Unfortunately in the process I split the guard into two pieces. Fortunately it is a clean split so I intend to glue it together. Any thoughts,on the best glue to use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom