• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boonie Hat

Jan 2, 2013
    Baltimore County, MD, USA
    I see some of you are running the noveske flaming pig, does this help cycle more reliable?

It was made to increase back pressure to help with with cycling. The issues are usually a result of the size of the gas port, ultimately depending on the manufacturer. Some compensate for it (i.e DD, LMT), others don't. You can play around with buffers according to type of ammo and suppressed/unsuppressed. If you get a quality barrel and gas system you can run a carbine spring and H buffer with no problems.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    So as long as it was never built into a rifle but either you don't know/remember how it was checked off would you still be OK?

Someone should verify this, but I don't believe so if it was marked "rifle" on the 4473. I *think* that once it's transferred as a "rifle" by being marked as such on the 4473 then it *is* a rifle forever. Same as if you build it into a rifle first. After that, it's a rifle, period and can't be built into a pistol.

Mar 7, 2014
    AR Pistol Questions

Building my first AR, always wanted a pistol so why the hell not! (From MD, WV resident, much easier to be a gun owner)
    I have the lower pieced together, need some Upper help....

I want a 7.5" barrel and a flash suppressor (OAL will be around 10 3/4")
    First question is about the pig. I have found a few that are 30-50 bucks (KAK Industries) If it is just a cone on the inside, why pay 130 for the Noveske? Anyone have experience with either?

Also I have no idea how to select the gas block. Obviously I want a lo-pro or micro, but how do figure out the gas block diameter?

Please add any pics of your own build and I am open to any suggestions/advice!
    Thanks
    C

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I can't help you with building the upper but good luck on the 7.5. That's how I built my pistol and it is a cannon to say the least. It is honestly one of the loudest firearms I own.

I used an AAC suppressor adaptor for the muzzle device and added a QD break shield from weapons outfitters. The break shield directed the gasses forward so I get hit with less blow back. It also makes the report manageable. Before using the shield my ears were ringing even though I double up my hearing protection.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    I can't help you with building the upper but good luck on the 7.5. That's how I built my pistol and it is a cannon to say the least. It is honestly one of the loudest firearms I own.

I used an AAC suppressor adaptor for the muzzle device and added a QD break shield from weapons outfitters. The break shield directed the gasses forward so I get hit with less blow back. It also makes the report manageable. Before using the shield my ears were ringing even though I double up my hearing protection.

Hard to argue with that one. I've built a couple 7.5 and 10.5 uppers and used a combination of muzzle devices from Battle Comp, Dynacomp, Pig (real Noveske and fake), and plain old $8 flash hider. I like the Dynacomp and Battle Comp but they do produce one hell of a fireball.

glock9mm

Ultimate Member
    Jun 5, 2011
    Ceciltucky!
    Someone should verify this, but I don't believe so if it was marked "rifle" on the 4473. I *think* that once it's transferred as a "rifle" by being marked as such on the 4473 then it *is* a rifle forever. Same as if you build it into a rifle first. After that, it's a rifle, period and can't be built into a pistol.

This is correct.

Mar 7, 2014
    arpistol3sz.jpg

8520655840_5bc2975256_c.jpg

8519542895_ae50f6270e_c.jpg

8519543059_104c2b5995_c.jpg

null_zps7a984b37.jpg

null_zps5dd595fa.jpg

null_zpsae87c220.jpg

null_zps89f7a205.jpg
    JCBVH
    What kind of rail is on the last pistol, the one with the Vltor upper?
    THANKS!

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    It was made to increase back pressure to help with with cycling. The issues are usually a result of the size of the gas port, ultimately depending on the manufacturer. Some compensate for it (i.e DD, LMT), others don't. You can play around with buffers according to type of ammo and suppressed/unsuppressed. If you get a quality barrel and gas system you can run a carbine spring and H buffer with no problems.

I have one on my 7.5 blackout pistol. Works great with subs.

Looks pretty nice too tucked into a rail.

Sent from my Torque using Tapatalk

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    I feel like I'm close enough to completion to post. I'm thinking I'll be finished by the end of May, beginning of June.

I've been through this thread full of amazing builds a few times now. It has helped me a quite a bit to figure which direction I really wanted to go on certain things.

I think my favorite though is page 10 post 190 with the skull pattern job, WOW.

Lower completed except for a H2 buffer
    Engage E4 lower (bought pre 10/1)
    CMMG Lpk
    phase 5 buffer tube
    Extra power buffer spring
    Hogue grip (ordered to replace lpk grip)

Engage Upper
    Engage black nitride BCG
    Raptor CH
    Noveske 7.5 diplomat barrel (ordered, Fed ex due for delivery next week)
    Flash hider (ordered due in next week)

I'm still flip flopping between 2 rails and flip up sights so the rail, sights, flash hider will be a surprise for later.

I have the magpul flip ups but think I want to go with anodized aluminum not plastic.

The rail decision comes down to having the flash hider half covered by a 9 inch rail, or have it stick out 2-3 inches from 7.5 inch rail but still be able to see it all.

I'm leaning toward the shorter rail and exposing all of the flash hider. Pics to follow soon.

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005

would that be MSP or ATF? I don't relish the idea of contacting either.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Converted two of my pistols to 'firearms', so now they can sport a VFG. Another grip will be here tomorrow for the one on the right.. ;) :D

e2dc03ec-3d40-4dc1-80df-a4fe481b9563_zpscc64ce8c.jpg

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    sorry for the sucky phone pic and no toes.. I'll correct that on the next update.. :lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom