Just begging youth or building up to something?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    Hey guys, this is a serious problem or at least has the chance to end up in one, so please no joking.

I happen to work in Baltimore in a rather larger complex. About a week ago, I was approached by one of a pair of youth (lanky, about 14 years old) while on my way home. He proceeded to say something completely uncomprehensible to me that sounded like a question. Ignoring it, his friend came along and told him "this is the way you do it.... excuse me sir" "yes" "got a dollar?" ..... "nope" and gone.
    Same pair approached me the next day, one of them being on a bicycle and asking the same question.... a dollar or 50 cent? I proceeded to reply "get a job" and further ignore him.
    I did not see them the next day but the following one I spotted one of the pair. He apparently spottet me as well, whisteled for his friend with the bicycle and they proceeded to end up in my way asking for money again. This time I clearly noted a few other guys observing what was happening from the next corner and after being ignored, the two moved over to those observers.
    At that point (last Thursday) I chose not to be harrassed any more and just randomly pick my way home from three routes. So far, they managed to find me on Monday and Tuesday - each time one of them on the lookout and then the pair showing up on the bicycle and starting to beg for a dollar and asking why I would not reply or give them the money they are "entitled" to. Each time with some guys obsserving form a distance.
    Since I switched from walking to cycling (f,,,,, heat), they did not manage to keep up or come close enough today to start begging but I did spot one of them on the lookout and he made a move to follow before realizing that he would be too slow.

I am going to have a little bit chat with cooperate security tomorrow but wanted to have your input. Wtf am I looking at, here? Are those two tools just trying to annoy me, is that some kind of gang sponsored summer activity and is it going to stay just annoying or building up to something?

VWTurbo

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2010
    Perry Hall
    sounds like they are waiting for you to pull out your wallet and then make a move since you would most likely stop walking long enough to fumble around and pull it out. This would potentially give the lookout enough time to approach from behind and help relieve you of your belongings. Maybe I am paranoid, but it is the city, the summer time and you definitely have been doing the right thing and just keep it moving. maybe you can get a permit to carry a concealed....nevermind. Stay safe

scrovak

Back in the "Free" State
    May 2, 2011
    I'd notify corporate security, have them pull any available video, and file a report with the local PD because this sounded innocuous at first, then it morphed into something more when they began following you, mapping your routes, and repeatedly attempting to intercept you. Nip it in the bud. You said corporate security, I don't know where you work, but this could be anything from homeless kids looking for a bite (doubtful, they'd sell the bike), to muggers missing out on the follow through, or something corporate, targeting you based on whatever position you hold. Obviously if you're a janitor, the latter is significantly less likely...

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    One of the warning signs is restriction of your movement. If you see someone moving to block your path, change course immediately. These guys are staking you out. Absolutely, talk with security.

The3clipser

Mister Tea
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sounds mighty fishy to me, especially with them reporting to look-outs or other people. This isn't just some broke kid or kids. I don't know what it is, but I think we can all tell what it isn't. Also, I'm curious about the complex itself. Is it all indoor? Does it go between buildings? Things like that. Finally, if this is a private complex, and it is 100% private property, they shouldn't be there. Talking with security is a good thing.

Also, depending on your age, you could do what I do.
    "Excuse me, sir."
    "Yeah?"
    "Got a dollar?"
    "I'm an intern. I'm broke as sh*t." And walk away. Always works.

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    sounds like they are waiting for you to pull out your wallet and then make a move since you would most likely stop walking long enough to fumble around and pull it out. This would potentially give the lookout enough time to approach from behind and help relieve you of your belongings.

Unlikely or they are clumsy. Both of them are standing on one side, one of them still on his bicycle, the other keeping a relatively polite distance. From their positioning, it would have been hard for both of them to rush me and one of them is unlikely to pose a risk to even an elderly lady. Their "observer" is hanging back far enough to even take more than a few seconds at a full run. Either he is training the two in that setup and they are just too stupid to follow him or he is just amused at their attempts... but definately not directly involved.

I .......to muggers missing out on the follow through
    This is my working theory so far. They might assume that I have money although I don't look the part and don't carry cash - and even don't look like an easy customer to rob.

"Got a dollar?"
    "I'm an intern. I'm broke as sh*t." And walk away. Always works.
    Lol, that would work but they would assume intern=doctor=must have money. There are targets walking around that are wealthier looking and easier to pick on.

Also, I'm curious about the complex itself. Is it all indoor? Does it go between buildings?
    Assume something like a downtown business district. Many private buildings that they are not allowed to be in but public roads around and through.

Scout

Apr 28, 2011
    Pikesville
    i would strongly suggest that you may want to arm your self in some way like a briefcase filled with bricks...or a stun gun .. or knife and be ready every day you walk out that door .... they will be waiting every day until they find someone else or until they have what they want. you may even want to call the 5-0 ahead of time in a non-emergency situation and ask them to make an appearance and let them know what is going on....that way if some thing dose happen you have back up with your story..... good luck don't forget to check them out if you can through a window or other opening from the building .... maybe even go out a fire door or something

matt_b89

Apr 5, 2011
    Allegany County/Frostburg
    maybe they're just messing with you and find something amusing by the way you react, but I seriously doubt it. Go buy the biggest knife that you can wave open or is assited opening and when they ask for a dollar say "maybe....and act like you're going to dig through your wallet and pull that S.O.B. out

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    Go buy the biggest knife that you can wave open or is assited opening and when they ask for a dollar say "maybe....and act like you're going to dig through your wallet and pull that S.O.B. out

Bad idea! I will never draw or brandish any weapon when I do not intend to use it. I am not unarmed but by the time I am drawing anything, it will not be to show off or scare them but because I feel that a threat is justifying a very deliberate respone. Would you give anyone a chance to prepare for your defenses if you can avoid it?

Scout

Apr 28, 2011
    Pikesville
    Bad idea! I will never draw or brandish any weapon when I do not intend to use it. I am not unarmed but by the time I am drawing anything, it will not be to show off or scare them but because I feel that a threat is justifying a very deliberate respone. Would you give anyone a chance to prepare for your defenses if you can avoid it?

i agree.... i suggested carry and arm your self not provoke them..maybe even a collapsible baton .

scrovak

Back in the "Free" State
    May 2, 2011
    a briefcase filled with bricks

I'm sorry, I can't help but chuckle at that one.

"You been working out?"

'Nope.'

".... Masturbating?"

'Suitcase full of bricks.'

"That's weird. Should have gone with masturbating."

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    Do others follow the same routes? If so, bring this up with security and have them contact the community policing program for the city.

Definitely something going on.
    Stay Safe.

vector03

Frustrated Incorporated
    Jan 7, 2009
    Columbia
    Have you noticed anyone following you after your encounter with these youths? Are you walking to a parking garage? Noticed anyone hanging around the garage?

Just typing (thinking) out-loud here. They stroll up to get your defenses up. Once they're gone, your defenses return to a normal level. On your way to your destination, something unexpected (because your defenses are back to normal) happens.

Keep your head on a swivel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom