• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pay2Play

Jul 3, 2008
    Gambrills
    Went to MSAR last night and picked up a Mossberg 500 Blackwater Edition. I had originally planned to buy a Remington 887 Nitro Tactical, but kept reading mixed reviews. I knew I couldn't go wrong with the 500.

F46D6C95-6CD9-43CF-8E50-36EA075AFF77-21296-00000F017D20CBE2.jpg

On a side note: MSAR is now saying they plan to be moved into the new range by February:(. When I was last there around Thanksgiving they said they were moving their stuff in on Dec. 17th and planned to be open by Christmas.

Pay2Play

Jul 3, 2008
    Gambrills
    Thanks RaVis. Not really sure exactly what I want to do, but I'm thinking shoulder stock and flashlight/mount to start.

SuperMag

Citizen--not "Subject"
    Nov 30, 2011
    Maryland
    NICE score. That is home protection artillery right there.

I have the 590A1. It is a fantastic weapon.

BIG consideration for the 500: the location of the safety (top rear of the receiver) makes it very difficult to operate when you have a pistol grip mounted.

If you're considering this weapon for home protection, I recommend a traditional buttstock because it puts your trigger hand in position to quickly operate the safety without removing one of your hands from the weapon. With the pistol grip, you have to let go to operate the safety. Remember that less than a second of reaction time is important.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Hogue short LOP stock set and possibly forend. ESS tactical shotgun cards and an Elzetta mount and light from MDS member Sykesville.

Pay2Play

Jul 3, 2008
    Gambrills
    NICE score. That is home protection artillery right there.

I have the 590A1. It is a fantastic weapon.

BIG consideration for the 500: the location of the safety (top rear of the receiver) makes it very difficult to operate when you have a pistol grip mounted.

If you're considering this weapon for home protection, I recommend a traditional buttstock because it puts your trigger hand in position to quickly operate the safety without removing one of your hands from the weapon. With the pistol grip, you have to let go to operate the safety. Remember that less than a second of reaction time is important.

Good info! I just so happen to recently read that somewhere else today. I've ditched my plans for the Blackhawk stock and will take your advice and go with a traditional stock. If I ever by a Remington I'll go tactical stock on that.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    I am a huge fan of folding stocks on HD pieces. They fold down for CQB and deploy for farther than across the room shots. ATI makes the only collapsable folding stock that I know of. It works fine for any normal use but I wouldn't try smashing skulls with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom