• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rlc2

Nov 22, 2014
    left coast
    thanks Esqappellate

A GVR is a decision of the SCT that Grants certiorari (thereby taking jurisdiction), Vacates the decision below, thereby depriving that decision of any value as precedent and Remands the case to the lower court for further action, usually citing a the court's decision in another case. This GVR is usually used where the Court has issued a decision this term and there is an argument that the lower court decision being GVRed is inconsistent. Basically, it is the Court's way of telling the lower court to take another look. "Per Curiam" means simply "by the court" -- it is not a signed opinion or authored by any particular justice. Unusually unanimous and is often used with summary reversal. Summary reversal in a per curiam opinion is a real slap, essentially telling the lower court that it got the case so hopelessly wrong as to be unworthy of the Court's time to grant plenary review and consider the merits more fully.

Thanks- that was my takeaway from Wikipedia but in the case of Jackson, a GVR doesnt quite fit the explanation given there, because there is nothing NEW that invalidates the 9ths decision, yet anyway.

So a per curiam is the way to say, you got it wrong, and there is nothing more to say about it. I would really like to see that too, but can imagine why you consider it a low percentage chance, given the unresolved issues on scrutiny, how to measure the vague "public safety", etc.

My other question still stands, why is Jackson so narrow or not important enough to NOT take up for cert, in plenary review,
    and if they dont, will SCT explain that? Do dissenters from the majority decision NOT to grant cert get to say anything about it?

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Thanks- that was my takeaway from Wikipedia but in the case of Jackson, a GVR doesnt quite fit the explanation given there, because there is nothing NEW that invalidates the 9ths decision, yet anyway.

So a per curiam is the way to say, you got it wrong, and there is nothing more to say about it. I would really like to see that too, but can imagine why you consider it a low percentage chance, given the unresolved issues on scrutiny, how to measure the vague "public safety", etc.

My other question still stands, why is Jackson so narrow or not important enough to NOT take up for cert, in plenary review,
    and if they dont, will SCT explain that? Do dissenters from the majority decision NOT to grant cert get to say anything about it?

They may feel this law is basically unenforceable so some other 2A case would be better. If cert is denied, they can write a dissent, although they haven't done so on any other case so far.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012

and if they dont, will SCT explain that? Do dissenters from the majority decision NOT to grant cert get to say anything about it
    ?

The Court likes to take cases that have broad implications well beyond the facts presented. Jackson is just a nutty municipal ordinance and, as the briefing makes clear, quite limited to San Francisco. I don't see them granting plenary review for that reason alone but I *do* think it possible that summary reversal could be issued. Clement also thinks so, hence that extended discussion in his petition and reply asking for same. Summary reversal is the Court enforcing its decisions and that is a different inquiry than the usual cert grant. The Court, as an institution, generally takes a dim view of lower courts flouting its decisions with distinctions that are meaningless. The question is whether the Court's conservatives can get the rest of the Court to go along. I think it is quite possible, precisely because Heller has already plowed this ground. As whether the court will explain a denial of cert., almost always NO. On occasion, you will see a dissent from a denial by one or two justices. Remember, it only takes 4 to grant cert. but it takes at least 5 to issue a summary reversal.

Last edited:

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    There was a dissent from denial of cert in October with three Justices.
    Authored by Scalia, joined by Thomas and Ginsburg. Of all possible combinations, I think that's the least expected one. :lol2:

An interesting quote from that,"Nonetheless, the Courts of Appeals have uniformly taken our continuing silence to suggest that the Constitution does permit otherwise unreasonable sentences supported by judicial fact finding, so long as they are within the statutory range."

They obviously admit by denying cert that they are indeed sending a message to the Appeals Courts to keep doing what they're doing.

Window_Seat

Sep 24, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ, U.S.A.
    The Court likes to take cases that have broad implications well beyond the facts presented. Jackson is just a nutty municipal ordinance and, as the briefing makes clear, quite limited to San Francisco. I don't see them granting plenary review for that reason alone but I *do* think it possible that summary reversal could be issued. Clement also thinks so, hence that extended discussion in his petition and reply asking for same. Summary reversal is the Court enforcing its decisions and that is a different inquiry than the usual cert grant. The Court, as an institution, generally takes a dim view of lower courts flouting its decisions with distinctions that are meaningless. The question is whether the Court's conservatives can get the rest of the Court to go along. I think it is quite possible, precisely because Heller has already plowed this ground. As whether the court will explain a denial of cert., almost always NO. On occasion, you will see a dissent from a denial by one or two justices. Remember, it only takes 4 to grant cert. but it takes at least 5 to issue a summary reversal.

Ok, so D?... Can they grant summary reversal if addressing a petition for a writ of certiorari?

Erik.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Ok, so D?... Can they grant summary reversal if addressing a petition for a writ of certiorari?

Erik.

Sure. That's is how it is done. They grant cert and summarily reverse without further briefing and argument (that is what "summarily" means).

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    So we find out on Monday whether this got accepted?

Welllll, not exactly.
    Cases granted cert are usually announced the same day, but some cases do go until Monday's orders. Except, for this term the Court has shown a trend of relisting every accepted case at least once, probably due to the embarrassing number of DAIG (Dismissed As Improvidently Granted) cases in the last 18 months and making sure the clerks check every nook and cranny of the case before it is granted.

So really, we want a relist.

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    DAIG is like "oops just kidding we didn't really want to hear this?" I didn't even know this was possible to do.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Welllll, not exactly.
    Cases granted cert are usually announced the same day, but some cases do go until Monday's orders. Except, for this term the Court has shown a trend of relisting every accepted case at least once, probably due to the embarrassing number of DAIG (Dismissed As Improvidently Granted) cases in the last 18 months and making sure the clerks check every nook and cranny of the case before it is granted.

So really, we want a relist

AGreed. Nice call.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    An interesting quote from that,"Nonetheless, the Courts of Appeals have uniformly taken our continuing silence to suggest that the Constitution does permit otherwise unreasonable sentences supported by judicial fact finding, so long as they are within the statutory range."

They obviously admit by denying cert that they are indeed sending a message to the Appeals Courts to keep doing what they're doing.

No this is a rebuke. And frankly a fairly harsh one IMHO

The entire dissent is. Esp the part about putting an end to ignoring the 6 th A.

The court appears to be tiring of court disobedience... at least these 3.. but it implies that the other 4 are fans of the free for all. It much more fashionable to deal with gay marriage I guess. ;)

Maestro Pistolero

Mar 20, 2012
    Esquappelate, I understand that this case doesn't have broad implication to the court in exactly the way WE would consider it to have broad implications.

But shouldn't the fact that it so explicitly controverts the precise holding in Heller (vis a vi trigger locks) make a mockery of the courts holding? Doesn't that fact alone warrant a response, even if only to protect the sovereignty of a SCOTUS decision and discourage the insolent disregard by an inferior court?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom