• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GDGeorge

Jul 19, 2012
    PG County, MD
    I needed a holster for my 1911 and, after some thought decided to go with the Aliengear Cloak Tuck that offers a plastic shell on a leather backing. The pistol is a full sized 5" Springfield Arms and, while it seems like a cannon, it's what I'm comfortable with. Anyway, I've been wearing it around the house, "loaded" with snap-caps and it's reasonably comfortable out of the box. The piece feels secure and, with the trigger covered, I'm not at all uncomfortable carrying and drawing in condition 1.

So, questions:

I'm curious about break-in tips. Is there anything I need to do to the leather? My other leather holster for this weapon is an old GI leather shoulder holster, so I guess this question applies to that one as well.

The holster is very adjustable. What am I looking for besides access and comfort?

I need to play around with positioning a bit. I've carried a smaller (Makorov) just a little to the side of the small of my back and had no trouble drawing it. How far back can I move this one?

Thanks in advance!

Jerry

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Wearing it is really the only way to break it in. Most wear it with the trigger around the top of the belt and 4:00 on your strong side with the holster mouth slightly above the belt line. Cant angle and the exact position are largely preference, readjust it, wear it for awhile, and see what you like, moving the holster up offers a bit less concealment, a bit more awkward draw and less belt pressure to keep it stable, but can be more comfortable especially seated in a car

GDGeorge

Jul 19, 2012
    PG County, MD
    Thanks folks. After I posted I moved the holster back a bit and it felt a bit better sitting down. (Not that it was bad before, by any means.) I see what alucard means though. The draw was a bit awkward there. I think next I'll try canting the butt forward a bit and see if that clears up the draw.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    I own an Aliengear holster in 9mm (bought it for an SR9c I sold), and it never fit well. Not so much the holster's fault, as the fact that I have a flat ass. I like my Milt Sparks full leather for my 1911 better, but it was fun to try Kydex.

GDGeorge

Jul 19, 2012
    PG County, MD
    Following up again folks... I've been wearing my 1911 around the house and experimenting with location. Right now the muzzle is just inboard of my back pocket and the grips are between 4 and 5 o'clock. It's confortable but the draw is slower than with the weapon closer to my hip. I'm going to play with the cant as I haven't got that far yet. I might also try and move the weapon a bit higher.

As far as the pistol goes, I've been carrying it in condition one and it feels fine. Right now I've been practicing using snap-caps but it may be time to get some instruction. I've done this sort of thing before and taught myself some really bad habits. I also want to work on shoot-no-shoot scenarios. What other sort of training should I seek?

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I had better luck getting a good grip on a 1911 than my current carry piece (XDS). I'm at4:30 to 5 o'clock or so, makes clothing kinda important. If you ant get a reliable and semi-fast sweep/draw,...... might not be good.

GDGeorge

Jul 19, 2012
    PG County, MD
    I had better luck getting a good grip on a 1911 than my current carry piece (XDS). I'm at4:30 to 5 o'clock or so, makes clothing kinda important. If you ant get a reliable and semi-fast sweep/draw,...... might not be good.

The Alien Gear holster is designed so that you can tuck your shirt in between the clips and the holster. I tried that out yesterday and it made quite a difference drawing the weapon. I'm not sure I want to go that route, even with practice.

Today I'm home sick again (second day--lots of congestion in my lungs) with this bloody cold. I've got both the .45 (loaded with snap caps) and an extra mag. They're not at all uncomfortable and reasonably accessible under my shirt. After a bit I'm going to take some practice draws and misfire drills.

Best,
    Jerry

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Carnauba Cream is a Good product for Leather ....Tandy Leathers, Zack White has it. I have been using it for 30 years to clean ,preserve and soften Cow and Horse Hide.

Why? How dirty do holsters get?
    IWB holsters could be "softened a bit, but nothing wearing cannot do. Belt holsters are a different story. Many(most) leather belt holsters have "boning" to fit the shape of specific pistols. It is this boning that provides a portion of retention of the pistols. It helps "hug" them. You soften the boning, you lessen the retention value.

The top mouth of a leather holster is important also. Too soft too often, they tend to flare open which again could cause issues. This might not be a problem for the occasional wearer, but for a consistent shooter/user, the stress of drawing and holstering puts enough wear on them.

Many (as do I) have many holsters years and years old that have never seen a drop of any type of cream and have been just peachy keen.
    To each his own though. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom