• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DROB

member...
    Jul 25, 2011
    North of the MD border...
    my pistol shooting that is. So I have had my Sig p250 for some time now and just recently purchased a Ruger LC9. I am having an issue shooting my new pistol, in that I am consistently shooting low and to the left. I know enough to know that there is a lot involved in a trigger pull that affects accuracy, but not enough to know how to correct it or any of the other variables. I do have the same issue with the sig, but not as bad.

At 25-30ft, I am low and left each and every time, unless I compensate for it. I use the Ruger for CCW and my shooting will still slow down what I am shooting at, because I am low and left by about 3", but I want to more accurate.

And i am sure someone will suggest lessons/training, and i'm open to that, except I would need to wait for a little while to replenish the funds, so I thought i'd ask for some tips and pointers in the meantime.

thanks...

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    If you are right handed.

This is a trigger control issue, or should I say lack of.
    Relax your grip push gently forward with your right hand and pull gently back with your left.

It may benefit you to use a laser to show you how much movement you are getting with each trigger squeeze. No need for the expensive training lasers. A simple laser pointer temporally attached to your gun while unloaded and dry fire. The laser will go off target when you trigger sneeze is wrong. Its a cheap and easy way to find the problem at home.

Please remember that no ammo should even be in the room you are going to do your dry fire practice. Don't take any chances double check to be sure your gun is unloaded before dry firing your gun.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    If you are right handed.

Relax your grip push gently forward with your right hand and pull gently back with your left.

It may benefit you to use a laser to show you how much movement you are getting with each trigger squeeze. No need for the expensive training lasers. A simple laser pointer temporally attached to your gun while unloaded and dry fire. The laser will go off target when you trigger sneeze is wrong. Its a cheap and easy way to find the problem at home.

Please remember that no ammo should even be in the room you are going to do your dry fire practice. Don't take any chances double check to be sure your gun is unloaded before dry firing your gun.

what he said..

this may help you also..

Attachments

• TargetRightHanded.pdf
      116.1 KB · Views: 136

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    Could be flinching, too. Throw some snap caps into a loaded magazine next time you're at the range and see if you're flinching.

DROB

member...
    Jul 25, 2011
    I was just talking to a friend of mine who is also on the forum, and he also suggested that i get a training laser as well, in fact he's gonna let me borrow his.

I will also invest in a few snap caps as well, from what I understand, they are relatively inexpensive.

these few suggestions are definitely helpful

ITG

Jan 26, 2011
    Frederick County
    I had the same issue when I first got my Glock. After a bit of research and some practice I have gotten much better about it.

I believe it has a lot to do with length of trigger pull and the tendency to start curling your hand in and down while firing. I also focused on using the first joint of my finger rather than the second as I tended to do.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    If you are right handed.

I had the same issue when I first got my Glock. After a bit of research and some practice I have gotten much better about it.

I believe it has a lot to do with length of trigger pull and the tendency to start curling your hand in and down while firing. I also focused on using the first joint of my finger rather than the second as I tended to do.

These. I doubt it's flinching. concentrate on pulling the trigger straight back. And make sure your trigger finger is correctly placed on the trigger. It should be on the meat of first joint of your finger (about half way). Listen to Mdeng.. use the laser.

fa18hooker

99-9X
    Sep 2, 2008
    Annapolis
    a thousand words: dry fire x 500. It's a muscle memory thing. When your body says "push" in anticipation, your muscle memory will (may) remember that the difference between click and boom...resulting in a center-x, rather than his right hip disappearing in a stringy group...

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    It is more likely that you are squeezing the non-trigger fingers of your strong (right) hand. This causes your point of aim to be pulled down and to the left. The push/pull method will help fix this as it allows you to relax your grip a little. Give it a try with the laser, you may be surprised with the results.

Mdeng

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    The problem is DAO guns. Their triggers suck!!! A real DA with a hammer that can be thumbed in a pinch is the best of both worlds. I will never buy another DAO because they make them safer by making them harder to use effectively. When they are completely and utterly useless then they will be safe.

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    Dry fire is free, and more valuable than wasting money on ammo you're just going to plink at paper with.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    LC9s are for close contact distances, not making head shots at 25 yards. My PF9 has a Loooooooooooooong trigger pull and the reset is like a revolver's. And yes, my shots at 7 yards are to the left. At 3 yards, it doesn't matter.

Jim

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    I had the same exact issues. I got some instruction from 3rdrcn and we corrected it. I am right handed and was putting too much of my trigger finger on the trigger, pushing it to the left. I was also anticipating the recoil. Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire. I have to only use the outter 1/4-1/3r of my index finger. Also, It was told to me, you don't pull a pistol trigger. There should be a gap between the last joint on your index finger and the frame of the pistol. Act like your index finger is pushing the trigger straight back, not pulling it.

6143565183_c970375066_z.jpg

Notice the gap between my index finger and the frame. This forces be to only move the last to joints on my finger, which causes me to "push" the trigger rearward. Oh, by the way, dry fire!

BTW, here is a post I started after the range session with 3rdrcn:
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=64620

DROB

member...
    Jul 25, 2011
    After doing some dry firing, I think the placement of my finger on the trigger had a large influence on the way I was shooting, i'm going to keep at it for while, and soon I should have a laser to help keep me on target as well....thanks for the pic montoya, helpful!!

Also thanks for the thread link, must be my newb status, I apparently don't have access, i will save it though.

thanks everyone for the helpful info...it's all be a great help.

mdshooterguy2820

Aug 26, 2011
    Joppa, MD
    I was/am experiencing the same thing. A friendly shooter at the range last week gave me a little trick to help. I place an empty case on the slide by the front sight. Practice dry firing and don't knock the case off. In just a weeks time I've already seen improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom