Is there an in person interview on renewals?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    Mrs. Safetech and I just put in our paperwork. This is our first renewal.

Will we have to do interviews again, or is that just on the first go-round?

ericahls

Aug 31, 2011
    Elkridge MD
    I didn't.

I didn't even get a call from a Trooper. She sounded like an admin. She asked 3 or 4 questions and that was it.

That was my first renewal by the way.

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    My wife and I both recently renewed for the first time. No interview, no phone calls, nothing. We both received permits in about 2 months mailbox to mailbox.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Maryland Handgun Permit Subsequent Renewals.

All supporting paperwork must be submitted again, even if it was previously submitted to the MSP as part of the original application.

Fingerprints must be resubmitted.

Current business license must be (re)submitted. (eg just resubmit articles of incorporation)

3 mos current bank statements (front & back)

3 or more references (they typically won't even be contacted)

I have never heard of a renewal applicant being reinterviewed.

Good luck.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Maryland Handgun Permit Subsequent Renewals.

All supporting paperwork must be submitted again, even if it was previously submitted to the MSP as part of the original application.

Fingerprints must be resubmitted.

Current business license must be (re)submitted. (eg just resubmit articles of incorporation)

3 mos current bank statements (front & back)

3 or more references (they typically won't even be contacted)

I have never heard of a renewal applicant being reinterviewed.

Good luck.

Where did you come up with the requirement for 3 mos current bank statements (front and rear)?

Here's what is on the application

Handgun Permit -
    Fees required by the Maryland State Police per statute:
    Original - $75.00 fee
    Subsequent - $50.00 fee
    Renewal- $ 50.00 fee
    Retired Police - $0 fee - Per statute
    Additional documents required per Handgun Permit Category:
    1. Owner or Employee of a Business: Submit photocopies of the Traders License or Business License, and if the
    purpose of the permit is for:
    (a) Making deposits: Photocopies of six (6) random deposit slips for the business showing the deposits within a
    year of the application submission date or a letter from the bank attesting that your business has a
    monetary flow;
    (b) Cash Flow: Photocopies of ten (10) receipts showing purchases for supplies and/or payments received for
    services;
    or
    (c) Requesting a permit for one of your employees, or if you are an employee and you have permission from your
    employer to obtain a permit: A letter from your employer on the business stationery, explaining in detail
    why you need to carry a handgun as part of your duties.
    2. Professional Activities: Doctors, pharmacies, etc., must show evidence of legitimacy of business activity and valid
    certification or license. Additional requirements may apply.
    3. Correctional Officers: Must submit verification of employment and documentation of threats and/or assaults.
    4. Former Police Officer: If you have resigned or retired, you must show evidence of your tenure in law enforcement,
    such as a letter from your agency, and a letter from your agency indicating you left in good standing. Additional
    requirements may apply.
    5. Private Detective/Security Guard/Special Police & Railroad Police Commissions: All applicants who are employed as
    Private Detectives, Security Guards, Special Police, and Railroad Police, must submit a certification of qualification
    with a handgun from a Maryland State Police Certified Handgun Instructor on an MSP form. A copy of the form
    letter supporting “good and substantial reasons,” ownership of weapon, and location where the weapon will be
    maintained is also required. (This form can be obtained from your employer).
    6. Personal Protection: There must be documented evidence of recent threats, robberies, and/or assaults, supported
    by official police reports or notarized statements from witnesses

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    I'm not being cocky, but what I posted came straight from the MSP web site just five minutes before posting. I'm just asking if there has been a change that I haven't heard about.

The requirements listed on application is what I submitted for my initial permit and unless I'm missing something, those requirements haven't changed. Please enlighten me.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    I'm not being cocky, but what I posted came straight from the MSP web site just five minutes before posting. I'm just asking if there has been a change that I haven't heard about.

The requirements listed on application is what I submitted for my initial permit and unless I'm missing something, those requirements haven't changed. Please enlighten me.

Maryland Handgun Applicants often spend a great deal of unnecessary time & effort trying to impress with the size, or frequency of their deposits, or worry needlessly about the method of payment on their invoices. Criminals, who are mostly stupid and/or high have no way of knowing how much cash, checks or negotiable instruments are in a deposit envelope.

Additionally, financial institutions like BoA will feign having to give birth an Mdeng size baby through their rectum if you ask them to write a letter saying, "<Name>, has one or more accounts with a monetary cash flow".

Through much practice and experience, I have developed multiple techniques to simplify and streamline the process of begging permission to exercise one's inalienable rights.

One of those techniques is to ask for the last three months of bank statements (front and back). We typically obscure the applicants account number with Adobe Acrobat's redaction feature (or a black Sharpie).

It is efficient, easier to implement, and easier to explain to applicants.

Complete disclosure: I was taught this technique by an attorney, who is also an IP on MDS.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    In other words, its not a requirement but rather is your personal advise to your students. I'm good with that but it'll be a very cold day in hell before I offer up my bank statements.
    Hopefully, by the time I apply for renewal in June, I'll simply need to enter "personal defense" as G&S. :)

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    In other words, its not a requirement but rather is your personal advise to your students. I'm good with that but it'll be a very cold day in hell before I offer up my bank statements.
    Hopefully, by the time I apply for renewal in June, I'll simply need to enter "personal defense" as G&S. :)

A bank statement. Singular & redacted.

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    1.Owner or employee of a business. You must submit photocopies of the Trader's, Business or Narcotics License or Articles of Incorporation to support Business ownership or as an authorized employee. You must also submit photocopies of six random deposit slips or deposits within a year for the business or a letter from the bank attesting that you have a business account. If you are an employee, you must submit a letter from your employer on the business letter head, verifying your employment and detailing the requirement or desire from the owner that you be armed.

I just submitted letters from our bank. Same as last time.

But I apparently screwed up on something else. I forgot the business license copies.

I'll wait another week or so (so that they have the applications) and send them along with a letter explaining where they go.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    I submitted bank statements and was told I needed deposit slips instead. Submitting bank statements will just be a waste of time and won't help you in any way.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I submitted bank statements and was told I needed deposit slips instead. Submitting bank statements will just be a waste of time and won't help you in any way.

Not sure how you could consider that an accurate statement as there are many examples of both being sufficient on this and other threads.

Problem seems to be no continuity of process within MSP. Sounds like some of us had our forms reviewed and interviews with troopers and others with investigators....

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    Not sure how you could consider that an accurate statement as there are many examples of both being sufficient on this and other threads.

Problem seems to be no continuity of process within MSP. Sounds like some of us had our forms reviewed and interviews with troopers and others with investigators....
    This is a perfect example why I have debated on several different threads why all these codes that are quoted, recited, or copied and pasted really mean nothing in the Maryland Wear and carry permit process. Maryland permits are not issued based on codes they are issued based on the opinion of the MSP.

Nothing could make this more clear than the statment "we will know G&S when we see it".

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    As for the Op's question....no interview no phone call. I don't think they even contacted my new references.

It almost seems that if you can provide the same info for renewal that you did for the initial 2 years ago and still pass a background check, the renewal is kind of a given. I am guessing a second renewal may be a bit harder to get though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom