Is there a thread on what to do March 1?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • monkey

B-A-N-A-N-A-S!
    Feb 20, 2012
    Monkey County
    I was planning on taking the day off on March 1 to travel to Annapolis, but I haven't seen anything hit my e-mail about where to go, what time, and how I can help out. I'd prefer not to have to speak, but if that's our only option, I'll draft up a simple letter that says I oppose.

Diamonddoug

Feb 2, 2013
    Jackson County TN
    March 1st

I was planning on taking the day off on March 1 to travel to Annapolis, but I haven't seen anything hit my e-mail about where to go, what time, and how I can help out. I'd prefer not to have to speak, but if that's our only option, I'll draft up a simple letter that says I oppose.

I too need this information, I will be there

Guderian

Mar 31, 2011
    Guys, glad you guys are here. I think the committee vote for SB281 stretched the organizers thin, which is why information is slower to come out this go around. Frankly, the situation is fluid and keeps changing, it's one fire drill after another. That's my opinion and should not be taken as fact.

Bottom line: it is imperative as many people as possible show up March 1st and 5th to testify against the anti 2A bills, like we did on February 6th. If you can only attend one day, my understanding is that March 1st is the more important day. March 1st is the house hearing for the house's version of SB281.

SB281 came out with amendments. The house bill has yet to be amended, if ever. If we can keep the two versions of the bill different, it's my understanding the bill will die.

SB281 voted out of committee hurt. Ain't going to lie. BUT IT'S NOT OVER. The house committee is not as stacked against us. WE CAN KILL THIS IN THE HOUSE.

If you are dissuaded by the long line last time and one sign up sheet, there will be more sign up sheets this time and I heard Vallario will let everyone testfiy, even if they have to return Saturday. I believe, but don't quote me, the sign up sheets will provide an idea of what time you will testify as well. Lessons were learned from February 6th. Logistically/procedurally, March 1st should go better, but we need pro 2A people to SHOW UP.

With respect to testifying, all you have to do is state your opposition, you don't have to say more than that if you are not comfortable. Hopefully MSI and the organizers will have our best speakers speak first.

Guys, it's time to get pumped again and do this. It's my understanding MSI will post more info soon so keep your eyes and ears open and stay frosty!!!

Guderian

Mar 31, 2011
    Are there any busses running ? Parking/traffic will be a problem.

Same deal as February 6th with respect to parking and traffic. One difference is avoid Lawyer's Mall. There is an anti protest there, and we do not want to be grouped or associated with them at all.

I parked at navy stadium and walked to senate building. House building is right across the street. There are shuttles from stadium to house building if you do not want to walk (it's about a mile). I think cost is $2 for shuttle. I forget how much parking cost. I heard some people were able to park in garages in Annapolis. Your choice as to whether you want to take the chance.

They key thing is to show up and sign up and be counted, preferably as early as possible. They will probably allow us to turn in testimony and sign up after cutoff like last time, but DON'T COUNT ON IT until you hear that officially.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co

Your speech doesn't have to be fancy. You can simply walk in, state your name and that you oppose the bill. At least sign up to speak so your name gets on the books as opposed.

2AHokie

Dec 27, 2012
    District - 9A
    You can prepare written testimony, speak, or do both.

There is a log book for those who want to submit oral testimony. You can sign the log book that is for oral testimony and put a note that you don't want to speak. The police officer standing next to the book on 2/6 instructed people that they could write "(no oral)" next to their names if they simply wished to sign the book to note their opposition and not actually speak in the hearing. Each bill will have it's own separate sign-up sheet (on 2/6 there were 4 bills). So come prepared with info on which bills you want to oppose.

You can sign up to speak and simply say "I'm so-and-so from somewhere, MD and I oppose XYZ" and be done.

There will also likely be time to visit your representatives in their offices in person.

Simply being in the building is important.

T-MANN

Feb 6, 2013
    I've heard talk of something happening with the bill Tuesday night...is there any truth to this or is Friday the day?

2AHokie

Dec 27, 2012
    District - 9A
    I've heard talk of something happening with the bill Tuesday night...is there any truth to this or is Friday the day?

Friday is the House of Delegates hearing on HB294 (and some other bills). HB294 is the house version of SB281 prior to the latest amendments.

There will likely be movement on SB281 this week and maybe even a vote by the Senate. No matter what happens with SB281, Friday is still the day for the House hearing and still the day to be there. SB281 cannot become law without the House also passing HB294. Friday is our day to convince the delegates that HB294 is bad.

If you have extra time and can go to Annapolis, the latest MSI email suggested that people meet with their Senators to talk about SB281 in advance of the Senate vote.

Kashmir1008

MSI Executive Member
    Mar 21, 2009
    Carroll County

You don't have to testify if you at not comfortable with public speaking. If you would like to submit a written statement for the record voicing your opinion do so. You will need 40 copies to submit.

The most important thing is to be there. We are having stickers printed out much the same as we did on the 6th. That way we will be recognizable and not confused with the antis.

The full senate will begin voting on the senate bill that passed out of Senate Judiciary committee last Thursday. Absolutely write your senators and tell them to oppose any version of SB 281

Friday is the hearing of the House version of bill 281. This is where we get to testify and influence what happens on the House side. This is where we can have the most influence. The House is somewhat more friendly to our cause.

More info posted in a few.

Kashmir1008

MSI Executive Member
    Mar 21, 2009
    Carroll County
    Guys, glad you guys are here. I think the committee vote for SB281 stretched the organizers thin, which is why information is slower to come out this go around. Frankly, the situation is fluid and keeps changing, it's one fire drill after another. That's my opinion and should not be taken as fact.

Bottom line: it is imperative as many people as possible show up March 1st and 5th to testify against the anti 2A bills, like we did on February 6th. If you can only attend one day, my understanding is that March 1st is the more important day. March 1st is the house hearing for the house's version of SB281.

SB281 came out with amendments. The house bill has yet to be amended, if ever. If we can keep the two versions of the bill different, it's my understanding the bill will die.

SB281 voted out of committee hurt. Ain't going to lie. BUT IT'S NOT OVER. The house committee is not as stacked against us. WE CAN KILL THIS IN THE HOUSE.

If you are dissuaded by the long line last time and one sign up sheet, there will be more sign up sheets this time and I heard Vallario will let everyone testfiy, even if they have to return Saturday. I believe, but don't quote me, the sign up sheets will provide an idea of what time you will testify as well. Lessons were learned from February 6th. Logistically/procedurally, March 1st should go better, but we need pro 2A people to SHOW UP.

With respect to testifying, all you have to do is state your opposition, you don't have to say more than that if you are not comfortable. Hopefully MSI and the organizers will have our best speakers speak first.

Guys, it's time to get pumped again and do this. It's my understanding MSI will post more info soon so keep your eyes and ears open and stay frosty!!!

This!

As for being spread thin; I can tell you we have been working shifts at the gun shows, fishing and hunting shows, town halls, printing and distributing flyers and pamphlets, getting stickers printed coordinating rooms for our discussion panels, reaching out to Veteran and other groups and a host of other activities.

I can't speak for the other MSI folks but it has been a challenge to keep it moving. I honestly don't know when Patrick finds time to sleep.

What keeps me motivated is to see the response and feedback from all of you. We need to blow this thing up big time.

Kashmir1008

MSI Executive Member
    Mar 21, 2009
    Carroll County
    For those of you who may note have seen the MSI update today:

Excerpt

The House considers the Governor's bill in a joint hearing. We will update you separately on the House schedule, but we need a turnout much like the one we did on the 6th. We need to be heard.

Friday will offer some new options. No more standing in long lines. We learned lessons from the Senate hearings and have done a lot of work with the House to make this day comfortable. We will have many witness sign-in sheets to avoid lines; the House has reserved all rooms for overflow (the House is also bigger than the Senate); and in a new twist, MSI and other civil rights organizations have reserved the upper floors of the House for our own activities, including a "Public Safety Policy Conference".

We won't repeat the rally - we are going to hold our own hearings, right in the same building as the actual hearing themselves. This time we will not locked out. Lawmakers will be in attendance, and we will empanel the most important people at the heart of this debate: you.
    No excuses this week. You have the opportunity to speak, be heard and to make a difference. You just need to take it. There is something for everyone. Stand up, or be pushed down. Your choice.

Special Attention:

If you are a constituent of one of the following Senators, you must contact them via phone, fax or in person immediately. Emails might be ignored, so you need to add the personal touch:
    Senator Miller
    Senator Klausmeier
    Senator Zirkin
    Senator Muse
    Senator Miller
    Senator Middleton
    Senator Dyson
    Senator Astle
    Senator DeGrange
    Senator Mathias
    Senator Brochin

Don't know who your representatives are? Find them at MDElect.net.

Jack Ryan

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    People’s Republic of Maryland
    For those of you who may note have seen the MSI update today:

Excerpt

The House considers the Governor's bill in a joint hearing. We will update you separately on the House schedule, but we need a turnout much like the one we did on the 6th. We need to be heard.

Friday will offer some new options. No more standing in long lines. We learned lessons from the Senate hearings and have done a lot of work with the House to make this day comfortable. We will have many witness sign-in sheets to avoid lines; the House has reserved all rooms for overflow (the House is also bigger than the Senate); and in a new twist, MSI and other civil rights organizations have reserved the upper floors of the House for our own activities, including a "Public Safety Policy Conference".

We won't repeat the rally - we are going to hold our own hearings, right in the same building as the actual hearing themselves. This time we will not locked out. Lawmakers will be in attendance, and we will empanel the most important people at the heart of this debate: you.
    No excuses this week. You have the opportunity to speak, be heard and to make a difference. You just need to take it. There is something for everyone. Stand up, or be pushed down. Your choice.

Special Attention:

If you are a constituent of one of the following Senators, you must contact them via phone, fax or in person immediately. Emails might be ignored, so you need to add the personal touch:
    Senator Miller
    Senator Klausmeier
    Senator Zirkin
    Senator Muse
    Senator Miller
    Senator Middleton
    Senator Dyson
    Senator Astle
    Senator DeGrange
    Senator Mathias
    Senator Brochin

Don't know who your representatives are? Find them at MDElect.net.

I have already registered to testify and submitted my written testimony, what time should I be there on Friday?

Kashmir1008

MSI Executive Member
    Mar 21, 2009
    Carroll County
    I have already registered to testify and submitted my written testimony, what time should I be there on Friday?

I would shoot for 9am or earlier if you can manage. Bring water and snacks. There has been some discussion of providing light refreshments but at this point I don't think we have that confirmed yet. Lots of things in motion.

2AHokie

Dec 27, 2012
    District - 9A

The earlier the better. The building opens at 9am. The hearing is at 1pm.

Traffic to the stadium for parking was bad last time so definitely allow extra time just to get to the building. There will be a wait for the shuttle too (or you can take a 10 minute walk instead).

Also the building has a set capacity and we reached that capacity on 2/6. It is ideal if the anti-freedom folks are the ones standing outside in the cold waiting to get in to sign the witness register and not us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom