Is there a suit to fight Maryland's onerous 16 hour training requirement for W and C?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigfoot21075

Ultimate Member
    Nov 3, 2008
    Elkridge, MD
    Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if there was an existing law suit to reduce or eliminate Maryland's onerous 16 hour wear and carry training requirement? I am a former LEO that had several years in before I retired from MSP but understand that unless I had 10+ years in I am still required to attend the 16 hours of training. Why do I need to take 2 days off of work to exercise my constitutional right? I belong to MSI but have not been following legislation. THANKS!

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Where you got the 10+ years?

Doesn't say years in list below.
    73c9e25d49cab3b3cef0553622cff757.jpg

Bigfoot21075

Ultimate Member
    Nov 3, 2008
    Elkridge, MD

emoji848.png
    you got the 10+ years?
    Doesn't say years in list below.[emoji8

it comes from the

LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS SAFETY ACT FOR 2004 (LEOSA FEDERAL RIGHT TO CARRY)​

• Retired in good standing as a law enforcement officer, other than for reasons of mental instability. He or she must have had 10 years or more of active service or retired with a service-connected disability. A person retiring as the result of a service-connected disability must have completed his or her probationary period.

Bigfoot21075

Ultimate Member
    Nov 3, 2008
    Elkridge, MD
    yup . Fed licence is not equal to state license.
    I looked again, I did not find ANYWHERE in Maryland law where they have that requirement... interesting. I think I may try it. I predict they will still require the 10 years. I had the w and c previously, but the new security person at my work would not sign for the renewal. I took the class back then, but it was a waste of time and a lot of money for a private class.

Last edited:

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I looked again, I did not find ANYWHERE in Maryland law where they have that requirement... interesting. I think I will try it. I had the w and c previously, but the new security person at my work would not sign for the renewal. I took the class back then, but it was a waste of time and a lot of money for a private class.
    You had restricted license then? For work?

Personal vs work related license two different issue.
    if you work for security and not suppose to carry?

Bigfoot21075

Ultimate Member
    Nov 3, 2008
    Elkridge, MD
    You had restricted license then? For work?

Personal vs work related license two different issue.
    if you work for security and not suppose to carry?
    My permit was allowed because of my security clearance - that I still have BTW. The new security person refused to sign the form as she is an anti so I let it lapse. It expired in June of this year, now I need the class again. The first time I found a private instructor and that was not too bad (I have a disability so private instruction is just much easier for me and less burdensome on the other class members), but it still is onerous. The instructor I used has since retired.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Ah.. ok.. thought you meant security guard job..

Mia culpa.. yeah.. don't ask don't tell .
    She doesn't need to sign off .

When you apply.. used "personal protection". You b gtg . ( talking about MD permit)

Call license department. Mentioned you are retired MSP so you are exempt from training and ask to how to renew with training exemption.

Last edited:

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    My permit was allowed because of my security clearance - that I still have BTW. The new security person refused to sign the form as she is an anti so I let it lapse. It expired in June of this year, now I need the class again. The first time I found a private instructor and that was not too bad (I have a disability so private instruction is just much easier for me and less burdensome on the other class members), but it still is onerous. The instructor I used has since retired.
    G&S is no longer required. (Security clearance)

The permit is not for work anymore.

You do not need your employers permission.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    I understand that, the issue is now that my permit expired I have to take the 16 hour class again.
    I understand the frustration. However, at least now you can get a permit without "permission" from your employer? If you feel so strongly about the 16 hour training (which I think is BS too, don't get me wrong - I know which end of the gun the bullet comes out of), why don't you sue?

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    So now that military and LEO have the warm and fuzzies, can we get back to suing to get the onerous training requirement removed ?? :sad20:

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    My dad is retired from Baltimorgue City PD and has told me that he still needed to do a qualification shoot to renew his permit, so he elected to let it expire. He is 86 and has carried a gun most of his life. The requirement is now a bit much for him to do without issues due to his health. Didn't know this was needed for retired LEOs.
    I am exempt from the training requirement due to military service, but being disabled, I would not be capable of sitting or standing through an 8 hour day, much less two.
    This requirement discriminates against those with certain disabilities, and the expense is prohibitive to many others.
    Seems like a slam dunk in light of the recent SCOTUS ruling.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    I understand that, the issue is now that my permit expired I have to take the 16 hour class again.
    From the MSP website…
    Are you retired in good standing from any Maryland or Federal Police Agency?
    If so, see #2
    Nothing there says you need to complete 10 years of service.

Call the MSP Licensing Division for further information.
    3E35C426-0705-45F9-A649-520B328C62F9.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom