• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Well, the "doomsday" scenario has hit NYC, half of the city is without power, the subway is flooded, and the state's and city's policies have left the law abiding citizens in defenseless. With several news agencies writing articles yesterday and Sunday about rampant tweets over organized looting, does anyone else expect the city to become a war zone? Even cell coverage is out in much of the south of Manhattan, so how are people supposed to call for police.

This has the potential to either reinforce the poor stereotypes for pro 2A advocates, or to help move us into a more personal rights direction.

This also comes straight back to big/vs small government. The more dependent we are, the more chaos will insue in times like this. What's really ironic is that the more "independent" people are the more they work together to work through the problem. (just look at Joplin Missouri which practically refused Federal government help)

I'm going to keep a sharp eye on local NYC news over the next week, I think it will be very eye opening.

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    law abiding citizens do not have guns and the Bloomberg laws are very effective so the city is very safe.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    Well, the "doomsday" scenario has hit NYC, half of the city is without power, the subway is flooded, and the state's and city's policies have left the law abiding citizens in defenseless. With several news agencies writing articles yesterday and Sunday about rampant tweets over organized looting, does anyone else expect the city to become a war zone? Nope. Even cell coverage is out in much of the south of Manhattan, so how are people supposed to call for police.

This has the potential to either reinforce the poor stereotypes for pro 2A advocates, or to help move us into a more personal rights direction. Or surprise people when a City pulls together after a natural calamity...

This also comes straight back to big/vs small government. The more dependent we are, the more chaos will insue in times like this. What's really ironic is that the more "independent" people are the more they work together to work through the problem. (just look at Joplin Missouri which practically refused Federal government help) Got a cite for the Joplin reference? I recall a different angle to that one...

I'm going to keep a sharp eye on local NYC news over the next week, I think it will be very eye opening.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Don't get me wrong, I hope it doesn't happen. And there will undoubtably be communities that will pull together and make things work. As long as everyone wants to keep it peacefull it will be, but it only takes one aggressor to lose the peace.

At the same time, I will not be surprised to hear of civil unrest, looting, increase in crime, etc. "War Zone" may be a little harsh, but even if one family gets hit by a thug because they can't call the police or defend themselves, it might as well be a war to them.

In Maryland, we don't have 80 story apartment buildings that are now out of power. They don't have generators to keep food fresh in their refrigerators. Elevators are useless. Cell service is down. Many of these people rely on the subway to move thru the city so they are now stuck, possibly surrounded by water making it difficult for supplies to come in.

If the power comes back on quickly, I don't expect any serious issues, but if it stays black for more than 3 or 4 days, do you really not think the criminal element will show its ugly head?

I pray this doesn't happen, and no, I don't want it to in order to prove a point. My point is I feel for any family that might be put in danger because of the anti 2A laws put in place by the city and state.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    If it were any other city I would have expected the news to be showing large columns of National Guardsmen rolling in to take charge.(a la New Orleans) But NYC seems to be stubborn. Granted they do have a largest police force in the country on hand. I'm not normally a fan of martial law, but it might be needed to keep the good folks up there safe.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Didn't they evacuate portions of NYC?

If so, then I'd feel pretty safe then. :lol2:

Kidding aside, for all the flak the city gets, I actually don't have any hesitation in visiting - I'm just very aware of my surroundings wherever I go.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    There was a post in another thread regarding all the social mediacrime spree planning. Seems like there were some organized tweets being sent for the purpose of looting after the storm hit. Was a very interesting read.....

Would I feel safe in NYC? I've NEVER felt safe there. Always had to be on guard. Too many people, too little space, too little security and no self-defense allowed incl. pepper spray/mace. Now, you can't even have a large drink to throw at your attacker. I would think the thugs would be running around more so than ever after any natural disaster.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    My sister in Queens has power and all communications are up. The cousin in Brooklyn was OK last night when my sister texted her. As for their places of business, they will see tomorrow.

unclenunzie

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ, NY, FL
    The loss of basic services and infrastructure would tend to amplify the effects of both criminal thuggery and pulling together in time of need. So I'd think the places that are inherently dangerous, such as high-crime locations and buildings would be more so. Likewise, the better parts of the city would see more people helping each other out.

The helping out part I witnessed during other mass events such as the last big blackout. The bad parts I haven't seen myself lately since I no longer have need to go to those places, except through the miracle of TV.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Didn't they evacuate portions of NYC?

I thought it was pretty f'ing funny when they showed Manhattan evac routes on Monday. I remember a couple of decades ago there was a hurricane threat and they estimated it would take a week or more to evacuate everyone.

rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    If there are any major issues, I'd be willing to bet that you won't hear about it until after election day.

It's not in the best interest of the libs to report it...

Rob

Schwabe

Ultimate Member
    Nov 20, 2010
    Sho'a
    I am sure they will take advantage and confiscate the last few legally owned firearms to make the city "safe" again ....

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Govern...-fistfights-guns-gas-stations-shortages-Sandy

NEVER saw this coming.....

However, I fully agree with the previous posts about communities coming together. I'm certain there are close communities that are pulling together to put all of their resources to the best use they can.

In fact, my wife and I started watching Revolution, and we both looked at each other in awe after the first couple of episodes saying to each other "Bull, communities and families like ours would have pulled together and kicked the thugs out ourselves." (Granted, I live in a community with a fairly high percentage of LE and active or former military)

Take care everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom