Is my Fiancee alowed to buy me a gun if im not a criminal?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    A bolt .22 rifle? Since this is a non-regulated rifle, you should be able to do a F2F transfer with no paperwork anyway right? So she gives it to you and you take it.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    One of the key issues in the SCOTUS case was money.

If your girlfriend purchases a firearm, with her own money, takes possession of it, and then transfers it to you, you should be ok.

If, however, you give her the money to buy it, that is what the SCOTUS case was about.

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    I never understand the " Buy a gun as a gift" thing.
    "Here honey. Here's the cash for that gun you wanted. Happy Birthday." Seems to solve everything.
    my parents bought me a Remington 870 for Christmas one year. my dad thought I should have my own shotgun, I never asked for it but was very happy to get it.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    She can pay for it but, you do all paperwork as if you were paying for you own purchase.

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Or, if she knows which one she's getting, she goes to the store, buys it, fills out the paperwork, then gives it to you- just like any other thing you buy for someone as a gift. I don't know why people get so freaked out over this.

Crab Bait

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2011
    Pasadena
    Cleared that right up...

Attachments

• Untitled11a.jpg
      Untitled11a.jpg
      60.2 KB · Views: 154
    Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Personally I would never want a gun as a gift, I know it is legal but I like the clear line of ownership without any confusion.

Line of ownership is clear. From manufacturer to dealer (possibly through a distributor) to the person who bought it to YOU.

If you are paranoid, just document the gift.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    No... Do not do it. The law is stupid and Scotus has upheld it. Done.

Do not do it.

You must do the 4473. payment is another matter..

Why is the law stupid? The law also deals with the person wanting to conceal their purchase of a firearm.

A gives B money to buy a gun, so that there is no record of A buying a gun, even though they cuold legally do so.

A straw purchase occurs when the actual buyer of a firearm is unable to pass the required federal background check, or does not want his or her full name associated with the purchase, and has someone else who can pass
    the required background check purchase the firearm for him or her.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    The problem with the SCOTUS case was that it was NOT a gift. It was a resale so the uncle could get the discount offered to the original purchaser. According to the 4473 language, if no money changes hands between the purchaser and the recipient it is a gift.

Here's the entire instruction from 4473
    ACTUAL TRANSFEREE/BUYER EXAMPLES: Mr. Smith asks Mr. Jones to purchase a firearm for Mr. Smith. Mr. Smith gives Mr. Jones the money for the firearm. Mr. Jones is NOT THE ACTUAL TRANS- FEREE/BUYER of the firearm and must answer “NO” to question 11.a. The licensee may not transfer the firearm to Mr. Jones. However, if Mr. Brown goes to buy a firearm with his own money to give to Mr. Black as a present, Mr. Brown is the actual transferee/buyer of the firearm and should answer “YES” to question 11.a. However, you may not transfer a firearm to any person you know or have reasonable cause to believe is prohibited under 18 U.S.C. § 922(g), (n), or (x).

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    Ok, so I checked the ATF documentation I received with my C&R FFL. Basically, as long as I, the FFL, don't think it's a straw purchase, it's good to go.

Straw purchase: Buyer is unable or unwilling to purchase the firearm himself.

Source:
    http://www.atf.gov/files/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-4.pdf
    Page 165 (166 in the PDF numbering)

I'm not sure where I got the 4473 nonsense from... Sorry guys.

EDIT: While digging this up, looks like ShallNotInfringe beat me to it.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    the person paying has to be the person filling out the 4473.

This is incorrect. I sold guns behind a counter for 7 years. There is absolutely nothing legally wrong with one person paying for it and another person doing the 4473 IF THE PERSON DOING THE 4473 IS THE PERSON WHO IS ENDING UP WITH THE GUN. There's also nothing wrong with me taking a long gun that I own and doing a FTF transfer to somone as long as I don't have reason to believe they're a prohibited person.

So, legally...the OP is completely fine. Of course legally the FFL can choose to deny a sale at their discretion if they think it's an illegal transfer, like a straw purchase. Some salespeople are completely fine moving forward with a sale where one person pays and another does paperwork if they feel the person doing the paperwork is ultimately getting the gun...others won't ever do it because their undies are on too tight. Again, it's at the discretion of the salesperson and they're legally supported in denying any sale that doesn't pass their individual sniff test.

For me, it had to be pretty obvious. I literally had a guy hold three or four rifles, tell me to get a box for one that was a display model(the last one left), gave a wad of cash to his buddy right in front of me and said, "He'll be filling out the paperwork for me"....it was so blatant I had to check to make sure he didn't mean that his buddy would fill out the forms with the purchaser's name and everything because of some disability or something that kept him from being able to write. Nope, he picked out a rifle, gave a wad of cash to his friend, and told me his friend would be putting the gun in his name. Soooo....no. Of course the tatted up braniac threw a tantrum that I refused the sale...but commahhhn, rules is rules.

So, it is completely legal and if you're very upfront with the salesguy and don't give them reason to think it's an illegal straw purchase they should be fine with it...although some are douches.

Anotherpyr

Ultimate Member
    Not so, says the Supreme Court.

Abramski was legally able to purchase the Glock. Alvarez was legally able to own and possess a handgun. Alvarez sent a check to Abramski to purchase the Glock. Abramski checked "YES" on Question 11a. Abramski was convicted and the decision was upheld.

http://www.scotusblog.com/case-files/cases/abramski-v-united-states/

:crazy:

That just cleared something up for me about the case I had missed. http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/01/06/1261522/-What-Straw-Purchase-a-Gun-Abramski-v-US# gives the details. I never realized he had received payment for the pistol prior to the purchase. And the backstory explains how this became a case in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom