• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rawboy

Oct 26, 2010
    Is getting a membership at gilbert indoor shooting range worth it to you guys, im only thinking that since theres not many indoor places around. Is it worth it to you guys to buy the annual membership? or do yall have any better ideas? thanks alot for your time

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    In MD, you can shoot in your basement for free...

Seriously Gilbert's is a good facility, but it is expensive. I have shot there, but I had a military membership which was much less costly as a result. When I need to test new firearms that I have built, Gilberts is a few miles away and not a 2 hour travel investment... how much is your time worth?

Mark

rawboy

Oct 26, 2010
    i don't know if my neighbors in my apartment complex would like that, i mean i have thought about going further out but its 10 mins away from my house so i thought it would a lot more convenient

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    You can always join the Izaak Walton league in Germantown (called Izaak Walton League Rockville). Outdoor range but it's a good place hidden in Liberalville. They have tons of other things plus you bring your own ammo and not get raped like in Gilberts.

CHUNKERMD

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    West MD
    Yes, the membership at this nice facility, if it's close to your home, is worth the cost.

However, the cost of the ammo one must buy from this facility to shoot there... is not.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I use the NRA Range. 25 minutes away, nice facility,free underground parking, good RO, you can bring your own ammo and targets or buy from them, Shoot up to 454 Casull. 15 lanes, electronic target system.

NRA WEB SITE

The prices and staff at Gilbert's leave a lot to be desired IMO. I won't be going there to shoot. I am also a member at Rockville Izaac Walton if you want more info.

Sinjin

Jan 21, 2009
    If you have money to burn, I'd say it's worth it.

I used to have a membership there...it's nice being able to shoot a lot of different calibers indoors. They allow pretty much anything, with a few exceptions (for instance, shotgun slugs, but no pellets).

As others have stated, they require you use their ammo...that's what really ends up being the huuuuuuge cost for you, as you're paying a premium on whatever the cost is at the time...and get no bulk discounts, etc.

MDresident

Sep 22, 2010
    I haven't been able to find out how to join the damscus/mt airy leagues? I would like to, but, their info is AWOL. Not sure why they make it so difficult to join,as I would think they would be interested in recruiting. :rolleyes:

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    www.bcciwla.org is the Bethesda Chevy Chase chapter of the Izaak Walton League. It is really in Poolesville.
    We now have 570 acres with 100 yard rifle, 50 yard pistol. 3D archery, skeet trap 5 stand and sporting clays, fishing, deer & turkey hunting, and a pretty good monthly dinner too.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Nice range, but like Mark said, I got my membership with an LE discount, so it wasn't quite as bad. It all depends on how far you're willing to drive to save some cash or how often you'd actually use it.

Thaimonkee

Jun 2, 2010
    Bethesda
    Depending on how much money you want to waste. If you have unlimited fuinds go ahead and join Gilberts. You have to buy their ammo which will kill you. I rather just drive another 15 minuted and go to nrA range in fairfax. Its a nice range with a friendly staff

zebramochaman

May 3, 2009
    Damascus, MD
    I belong to this chapter. You can pick up an application at Atlantic Guns in Rockville. You submit the application at the membership meeting held on the third Wednesday of the month (7PM). The First year cost of a single membership is $200. You need to take their range safety courses before you can use the ranges (there are separate courses for Pistol/Rifle and Shotgun). During the first year you are required to volunteer your time on a minimum of two projects. Since there are no paid employees all maintenance and activities at the chapter is done by members. Usually a project will be four hours of your time and can involve anything from cleaning up the ranges to weeding the gardens. Annual renewal for single membership is $130.
    If you need any additional info you can PM me.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The NRA range sells their ammo at a very fair price. I bought a box of 10mm 180g FMJ for 26 bucks. I can't find it anywhere else for that price.

Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    I would recommend going down to Cresap rifle club (out door) for $3 for admission and target. And they allow you to bring your own ammo. Its far but in the end its worth it.
    http://www.cresaprifleclub.com/facilities.php

Not only do they allow you to bring your own ammo, but it's required. Cresap doesn't have any sort of a gun store license or anything like that, so all they can sell on site is stuff like ear plugs, food, and drinks.

pasayan73

May 31, 2009
    laurel, md
    rawboy......my friend has le discount at gilbert's. according to him it's worth it. he can shoot full auto there. for a regular person i go to NRA range and i live in laurel, md. my experience there is always the best as long as you follow range rules, RO's are very watchful. i like it though, it's for the safety of mine, others and the range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom