Is it possible to simply not be any good with a specific gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ReticulateLemur

Oct 29, 2012
    Kind of an odd question, I know, but I'm just wondering what you guys think. I went to the range yesterday and attached the results: on the right is a Walther PPQ 9mm and the left is a Sig P229 DAK in .40 S&W, shot at 25 feet. As you can see, I'm much better with the Walther and I've always had trouble with the Sig being all over the place despite all my attempts to correct myself. Hell, I'm almost embarrassed to admit that the mess on the left is my shooting :sad20:

Should I just accept that the Sig isn't the best gun for me and look at other handguns or is there some ancient secret I'm not grasping to help my Sig shooting?

Attachments

• 20140331_222823.jpg
      20140331_222823.jpg
      69.9 KB · Views: 406

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    A friend of mine had an H&K USP 45 compact that he couldn't hit diddly squat with, but he was a tack driver with his Kimber 1911. He tried to like it - it's a USP after all, right - but he ended up selling it simply because he just didn't shoot well with it.

Is it possible that it's not the combination of you and the gun, but that there might be something wrong with the gun itself?

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    I had an HK USP 45 that I couldn't hit a balloon with at a Freestate shoot. I had always had trouble with it from when I bought it new. Traded it in, and bought an FNP 45 TAC and problem solved, I love that pistol!

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Don't own ppq.. but for comparison . Which fits your hand better?

It may also be the recoil since you shooting 40 vs 9.

Easy CZ

Feb 7, 2014
    Oklahoma
    There are a few guys, like Hickok45, that can be accurate with just about any gun they pick up. The have the Right Stuff.

For most of us, there are some guns we shoot very well and others we struggle with to achieve accurate groups. I, for example, still have trouble getting consistently tight groups with my j-frames and LCRs. The triggers have a completely different feel than my semi-autos.

I think most inaccuracy problems with guns are tied to a shooter's bad techniques than flaws in the weapon itself.

ReticulateLemur

Oct 29, 2012
    Don't own ppq.. but for comparison . Which fits your hand better?

It may also be the recoil since you shooting 40 vs 9.

The PPQ fits my hand better; I was thinking about that last night as I was cleaning them and I think the grip on the Sig is just a bit wider so I can't quite wrap my hand around it the same way I can the PPQ

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    I have a Glock 19 that I couldn't use to hit water if I was standing in a boat.

I tried my instructors Springfield XD and I was shooting 6" groups at 25 feet.

I've since gotten much better with the Glock, which I prefer to carry due to its smaller size and weight. However, I am still not as accurate with it as I am with the .45 XD.

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    There are a few guys, like Hickok45, that can be accurate with just about any gun they pick up. The have the Right Stuff.

For most of us, there are some guns we shoot very well and others we struggle with to achieve accurate groups. I, for example, still have trouble getting consistently tight groups with my j-frames and LCRs. The triggers have a completely different feel than my semi-autos.

I think most inaccuracy problems with guns are tied to a shooter's bad techniques than flaws in the weapon itself.

While you might be right; however, really look at the break points, creep, pre-travel with the trigger. I know for me personally depending on the trigger like a S&W M&P 9mm, I have been known to slap the trigger but with my 1911 I can shoot the fleas off a dogs rear at 100 yards.... I truly believe it's all about that clean break and how relaxed your shooting hand is while operating. if you are having to squeeze more quickly or with more force it's going to show like it's showing on the target on the left. With that in mind if you got a trigger pull analysis done on the gun for the right target i would bet on a run of 10 pulls it would break at +/- 3% of the weight all the time.

Shooting is 50% mental 30% muscle memory 20% training .... having a consistent trigger is worth it's weight in gold. :party29:

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I have the same problem with some pistols. Can't shoot a FNX, Beretta 92, HK USP, but shoot a Glock just fine. I haven't shot my 229 enough to know yet, but hope to do that in the next few weeks. I am convinced it has to do with the size of the grip, the caliber of the gun, and the angle of the grip and the trigger.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I had a Desert Eagle in .44 mag that I couldn't hit the side of a barn with. My wife shot great groupings.

ReticulateLemur

Oct 29, 2012
    While you might be right; however, really look at the break points, creep, pre-travel with the trigger. I know for me personally depending on the trigger like a S&W M&P 9mm, I have been known to slap the trigger but with my 1911 I can shoot the fleas off a dogs rear at 100 yards.... I truly believe it's all about that clean break and how relaxed your shooting hand is while operating. if you are having to squeeze more quickly or with more force it's going to show like it's showing on the target on the left. With that in mind if you got a trigger pull analysis done on the gun for the right target i would bet on a run of 10 pulls it would break at +/- 3% of the weight all the time.

Shooting is 50% mental 30% muscle memory 20% training .... having a consistent trigger is worth it's weight in gold. :party29:

You might be onto something. There trigger on the PPQ is simply wonderful and it's a real pleasure to shoot with a really clean and consistent break. The Sig, being DAO, is definitely heavier. Maybe next time I go to the range I'll rent a different gun in .40 to try out.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    You might be onto something. There trigger on the PPQ is simply wonderful and it's a real pleasure to shoot with a really clean and consistent break. The Sig, being DAO, is definitely heavier. Maybe next time I go to the range I'll rent a different gun in .40 to try out.

Hate DAO.. its may also be addition to your issue.

Evil Twin

Jun 13, 2009
    I can shoot just about any handgun well, except a Glock.

I suck with a Glock. They're a quality product, I just can't hit the broad side of a barn with one. From the inside. I have shot several of them with the same result. I once had a Glock 22 that I could only get about an 8 inch group at 15 yards. With a 1911 or a revolver, I can get a 2 inch group any day of the week at that distance.

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    I had one of the first USP-40s. The combination of my short fingers and the ergonomics of the trigger had me pulling every shot low. I learned that some guns are just too big for my hands. The Brownig High Power is the only gun with a double stack mag that I have found really fits my hand, and on 1911s I have to have a short trigger fitted.

If I can't get the pad of my trigger finger centered on the trigger, without contact between the side of the frame and the rest of my finger, I won't buy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alfontso

Latest threads

Top Bottom