• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tjdreams

Dave
    Nov 28, 2008
    Rosedale
    OK a friend asked me and I don't know
    So I'm posting his questions here.

1 - Is it legal for him to set up a target in his back yard and shoot pistol or rifle from his back porch in Maryland?

2 - What kind of or should i say how thick of a backstop, made out of what would he need to capture / stop the bullets?
    22LR, 22Mag, 380, 9mm, 357Mag , 44Mag just to list a few

He lives in Queen Ann's county and his property backs up to some wetlands if that makes any difference.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008

1 - Is it legal for him to set up a target in his back yard and shoot pistol or rifle from his back porch in Maryland?

2 - What kind of or should i say how thick of a backstop, made out of what would he need to capture / stop the bullets?

He lives in Queen Ann's county and his property backs up to some wetlands if that makes any difference.

He'll need to check county and city ordinances... it won't be in state law.

Backstops will depend on the material used... obviously some experimentation will be needed, a shredded rubber berm with 24" of depth should stop just about anything he shoots at it.

Mark

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Call the county Sheriff's office and ask them. Make sure you word it in the right way.

Last year I went to visit my parents in VA and couldn't find online the local firearm ordinances. So I called the Sheriff's Office to ask them. The only number they had on their website was for the dispatcher. I said something like "I wanted to know what the laws were in regards to shooting firearms in your backyard." The dispatchers asked for the address and said they would get a deputy out there right away. I had to clarify that I would be the one shooting and wanted to know what the laws were. She had a deputy call me back. He just said make sure you have a proper backstop and it had to be during daylight hours otherwise the neighbors could complain about noise.

So check with your Sheriff and if you live in a municipality that has their own PD call their office to ask them.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    his property backs up to some wetlands if that makes any difference.

Only if DNR shows up and your slinging lead into the water where it is law to be steel only.

If it is an "environmental buffer zone" don't even shoot in that direction.

If it's private property, you better get permission first to even breath in that direction.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code

we got the county sheriff called on us cuz we were bump firing my ak...sheriff came out asked us if we were firing automatics...i said no...he looked at the gun and said ok....just keep it down...lol he didnt have a clue as to what he was looking at...but hey he was just doing his job so i cant fault him for that...

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa

How many acres is he on? What is the setback from any other houses?
    What are the neighbors like? Location, location and location!

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    I do it at my house. Of course when I first met my new neighbors one of them told me "Your gonna hear a lot of gunfire around here too(referring to my old neighborhood)but unless your a deer it's freindly fire"

Treeguy

Jan 14, 2010
    Boonsboro
    Were i live everyone shoots off the porch..some nights i cant believe what i hear banging away..

A pile of dirt/rock makes a good back stop..get a machine out and make a big berm

What about a pile of logs stacked up..Stack them high and a few thick..then place dirt to support them

Sthomas229

none
    MDS Supporter
    May 7, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    Were i live everyone shoots off the porch..some nights i cant believe what i hear banging away..

A pile of dirt/rock makes a good back stop..get a machine out and make a big berm

What about a pile of logs stacked up..Stack them high and a few thick..then place dirt to support them

I would try to get rid of the rocks, they'll give ricochets.

mica

Wallowing in Insanity
    Jun 22, 2010
    AA county
    I can't find any QA county ordinance that prohibits the discharge of firearms except at a boat landing or public marina.(20-11)

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina

Depending on where you live in Boonsboro and how long you have lived there you may have used to hear me and my dad :lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom